Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Goverment Postage Stamp Printers' Conference?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
876 Posts
Posted 04/30/2019   02:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Does anyone have any information on this regular conference? It is a big deal among security printers but there seems to be very little about it to be found online. I know it usually meets on even years and has been going since 1986. Typically international honors are awarded for the best recent stamps in a variety of categories.

I would like to compile a list of years and places; here's what I have so far:

1st 1986 - ?
2nd 1987 - Washington, DC
3rd 1989 - Perigueux, France
4th ?
5th 1994 - Tokyo, Japan
6th ?
7th? 1997 - Bordeaux, France
8th ?
9th 2000 - Rome, Italy
10th 2002 - Seoul, So Korea
11th 2004 - Krakow, Poland

Any additional details are welcome!
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
279 Posts
Posted 04/30/2019   10:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Found on a china post website
The 15th Government Postage Stamp Printers' Association Conference opened in Beijing on October 14, 2014.

More than 34 postal representatives from 11 countries, including China, Algeria, Belgium, Denmark, Germany, France, Japan, Switzerland, Poland, Spain, and the Faroe Islands attended the ceremony.

Li Pizheng, vice-general-manager of China Post Group Corporation (China Post) gave a speech at the opening ceremony. He said that this was the second time that China Post had organized the most prestigious and most professional conference on postal stamp printing in the world after the organization of the 11th conference in 2006. Li said that China Post will keep on supporting all the activities of the Stamp Printers' Association in the future.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
279 Posts
Posted 04/30/2019   10:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
2010 Brazil 13th conference - a stamp was issued GPSPA
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
686 Posts
Posted 04/30/2019   11:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Try this link out about the security printers conference as it lists all previous events under event history. www.securityprinters.org

It may not necessarily be about stamps and awards but it does mention stamps and it is about security printing conferences.

I have made screenshots of those pages and attached them below.

Edited by No1philatelist - 04/30/2019 11:48 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
876 Posts
Posted 05/01/2019   1:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to both of you. No1phil, that's helpful information for something else that I'm researching, but it is not the same conference as a GPSPC. There are actually quite a few different security printing conferences -- mostly focused on currency.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
293 Posts
Posted 05/02/2019   02:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 65170 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
GPSPC was established in 1986. A list of its 17 conferences held to date follows. All of this information was acquired from the internet and invariably using "official" sites, rather than collector.......

1st 1986 USA, [where?]
2nd 1987 USA, Washington DC
3rd 1989 France, Perigueux
4th 1992 Spain, [where?]
5th 1994 Japan, Tokyo
6th 1996 Germany, [where?]
7th 1998 USA, [where?]
8th 2000 Italy, Rome
9th 2002 Korea, Seoul
10th 2004 Poland, Krakow
11th 2006 PR of China, Beijing
12th 2008 Algeria, Algiers
13th 2010 Brazil, Rio de Janeiro
14th 2012 Portugal, Lisbon
15th 2014 PR of China, Beijing
16th 2016 Germany, Berlin
17th 2018 France, Paris
18th 2020 Czech Republic, Prague
Pillar Of The Community
United States
876 Posts
Posted 05/06/2019   10:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is fantastic, 65170 -- thanks for sleuthing out that information! You are a diligent digital searcher. Many thanks! If we're lucky, someone can fill in those few remaining holes.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
293 Posts
Posted 05/07/2019   1:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 65170 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Happy to help.

Following some more digging, I can now also confirm....
1986 was held in Washington DC,
1992 was held in Madrid,
1996 was held in Berlin.

This leaves just 1998 and I think it safe to assume that it would have been held in Washington DC, home to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing who were, probably, the host printer.

GLENN
Pillar Of The Community
United States
876 Posts
Posted 05/07/2019   3:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again! You'll notice that there haven't been any conferences in the U.S. since '98. Because the BEP stopped printing stamps in 2006 and lost interest.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
876 Posts
Posted 07/08/2019   4:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For those who may have been curious about what this research was for, I'd like to share some images of the three known folders produced for these conferences by the Bureau of Engraving & Printing. There were probably only 100 of each folder produced; only one is known in a private collection, the others are from the BEP archives.

1989 - Perigueux, France

1994 - Tokyo, Japan

1997 - Bordeaux, France

As you can see, there are a good number of these conferences which may have had BEP folders printed (up to about 2005), particularly the first two, which were held in the U.S. I don't know whether Bureau representatives attended any of the others. Unfortunately, even the BEP did not keep track of all these "Directors Folders," as they are called. If anyone is aware of unknown folders, I would be grateful if you could post scans.
Edited by GregAlex - 07/08/2019 4:08 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
293 Posts
Posted 07/10/2019   4:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 65170 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gregalex, You show a folder purporting to be from a 1997 GPSPC event in Bordeaux France. Certainly the logo is correct. I have never heard of this event and it breaks from the established frequency of every two years. Does the folder confirm dates and location? Glenn
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
820 Posts
Posted 07/13/2019   04:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Outremer01 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 2008 Government Postage Stamp Printers' Association (GPSPA) Conference in Algiers, was commemorated by a stamp, according to the WNS web-site.

https://www.wnsstamps.post/en/stamps/DZ026.08

Pillar Of The Community
United States
876 Posts
Posted 07/19/2019   10:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have never heard of this event and it breaks from the established frequency of every two years. Does the folder confirm dates and location?

I had to go back to the BEP's Historic Research Center for an answer. They supplied the images, but unfortunately they are too low-res for me to read the text from the folder. But according to my source it is specific: "Government Postage Stamp Printers' Conference, Bordeaux, France, April 9-10, 1997."

You're right, that is out of typical sequence. Can I ask what your source was for the year dates?
Valued Member
United Kingdom
293 Posts
Posted 07/21/2019   04:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 65170 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
GregAlex, My sources were many and varied. I have no record of them, as they were from such unrelated, and often non philatelic, websites. I invariably had more than one source per event.

Your folder scan uses the generic GPSPA logo and not the more usual event specific version. I wonder if 1997 was a gathering but not an official conference, as such?

Glenn
Pillar Of The Community
United States
876 Posts
Posted 07/23/2019   02:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It may be one of those unsolved mysteries, unless someone finds mention about it in a trade journal or newspaper. I don't think the Bureau has any additional information.
Edited by GregAlex - 07/23/2019 02:16 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05