Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Postcards Cancelled On Picture Side

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2654 Posts
Posted 06/30/2019   8:44 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ikeypikey: I'll bet they are membership numbers in several different postcard swap clubs like the postcrossing clubs of today.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3826 Posts
Posted 06/30/2019   11:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'
Will: an intriguing guess, but why would one card bear four club/member IDs that clearly seem to have been applied by a single stamp in a single stroke?

Putting aside my instincts & betting on yours, Google Books coughed-up this snippet about the Globe Postcard Exchange Club from (I kid you not) "Gender, Sexuality and Colonial Modernities", edited by Antoinette Burton:

Uh-oh ... "people no longer speak to each other".

What a difference a lousy one hundred and twenty years can make!

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2654 Posts
Posted 07/01/2019   12:23 am  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
New-fangled technology always seems to get a bad rap. I wonder what they said about the wheel.

I found more information about the Globe club and identified J.J. - The Jolly Jokers.

http://www.tpa-project.info/TPA_15_1.pdf

Pillar Of The Community
United States
910 Posts
Posted 07/01/2019   04:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, this has gotten interesting! I wonder if S.V.C. could stand for something like the Society for Verso Cards.

Johan Buvelot, do any of the cards you posted earlier have notations on the back that might relate to any card collector organizations?
Edited by GregAlex - 07/01/2019 04:49 am
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
531 Posts
Posted 07/01/2019   10:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello GregAlex.

I have taken a look at the cards and a few others that is have.

None have a reference to any collecting organization or any abbreviation(s).

Most do have an Arrow or the word Over or even "stamp on other side" on the backside.

Kind regards,

johan.
Pillar Of The Community
2252 Posts
Posted 07/01/2019   12:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
GregAlex,
Your card on the previous page in care of the General Delivery at Los Angeles was likely picked up y the recipient. The Aug 2 "Take Out" marking was applied on July 2 and dated 30 days in advance as the date in which the card was scheduled to be taken out of the general delivery files if unclaimed. Unclaimed items were to be sold as waste paper per the 1913 Postal Laws & Regulations, section 49. The due marking should have been struck-through when the stamp was discovered, as the card is fully paid.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
910 Posts
Posted 07/01/2019   2:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John, thanks for correcting my misinterpretation of the takeout marking. I hadn't seen one of these before. If they were applied to all General Delivery mail you'd think they'd be more common.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
910 Posts
Posted 10/13/2019   4:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been keeping an eye open for these TCV cards and picked one up from Jamaica recently. Sent by a stamp dealer who took the opportunity to do a little advertising.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3826 Posts
Posted 10/14/2019   5:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... If they were applied to all General Delivery mail you'd think they'd be more common ...

Agreed. I estimate that only a small-single-digit percent of the General Delivery mail I've seen has a [_TAKE_OUT_] date.

Moreover, if memory serves, I've pretty much only seen that marking on GD mail at larger post offices.

My guess is that smaller post offices did not bother because they pretty much kept all of the GD mail in one stack and, when anyone dropped-by to inquire, they just fanned thru that stack and pulled-out that person's mail and, while they were at it, tossed aside any really old pieces they spotted.

The larger post offices got enough GD mail that they needed to sort it alphabetically ... at least, say, grouped by the first letter of the last name, maybe more coarsely (A-D, E-H) and maybe more finely (A-Am, An-Az) as circumstances might require.

With that larger volume, it made more sense to prominently date the pieces, and keep the thinking to a minimum while doing the TAKE OUTs for the whole section once per day/week/whatever.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Valued Member
United States
146 Posts
Posted 11/04/2019   1:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From my collection, here is one I found earlier this year.The stamp is Scott #20 from France - Offices in Egypt - Alexandria, with a used, 2019 catalogue value of $4.25. The postmark reads ALEXANDRIE EGYPTE 8 JANV 06.

Linus

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3826 Posts
Posted 11/04/2019   5:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Okay, pal, show us what you really think.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wo...he-shoe.html ... UK Telegraph ... Showing the sole of your shoe has long been an insult in Arab culture

https://www.thenational.ae/arts-cul...eet-1.295633 ... Ask Ali: Why it is rude to show the soles of your feet?

https://www.uae-embassy.org/about-u...slim-country ... Traveling in a Muslim Country ... "It is an insult to show the bottom of your foot to another person. It is best to keep both feet on the floor."

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey (who suggests Linus re-post this card to a new thread: The Culturally Clueless)
Valued Member
United States
146 Posts
Posted 11/04/2019   6:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Only you, ikeyP, would notice that detail, and I am glad you did! Ha!

You never know what you will learn from this group. The first thought that came to my mind was my ninth-grade track team photo. Our star sprinter Benny, with his hand hanging down by his side, extended his middle finger to the camera, forever telling the world what he thought about picture day. This man in the postcard must have been doing the same thing, in 1906, in Egypt.

Linus
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05