Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Photobucket Has Changed My Images!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 613Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3721 Posts
Posted 09/11/2019   5:42 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add KGV Collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Have just looked at my Australian KGV Stamps explained thread to notice that photobucket has changed my images to be blury since I last looked some months ago.

At 1st photobucket left these images alone. They took my image files so I could not find these particular images. It seems I can not recover these images. They did this about 12 month before they destroyed their platform and held the world to ransom. They also gave me a new portfolio when my other files disappeared.

Such a great thread destroyed.....
Send note to Staff

Forum Dad
USA
1562 Posts
Posted 09/11/2019   5:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ugh, Not surprised one bit. Exactly why we banned them from future use when the ransom hit.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
29888 Posts
Posted 09/11/2019   6:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Exclamation mark suggests anger.
It cannot mean surprise, we have known of this ransom for years.
Anger solves nothing.
They occasionally warn me they will remove some of my images, due to a altered limitation.
I'll let them rot.

Learn More...
8452 Posts
Posted 09/11/2019   6:25 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am unsure why folks buy into 'it is free', did not our fathers teach us that there 'is no free lunch'? But this problem extends far beyond Photobucket.

These are commercial, for profit companies. I am mystified as to why so many people are willing to believe that Google or Facebook is 'free'. It would be one thing for a person to think, "I am ok with Google selling my personal information' but some folks actually do not believe that this is going on. It has become so ubiquitous that we have turned the word 'Google' into a verb, " go Google' that...". There are many other search engines yet Google is now used for 96% of all online searches across the world. (I use and recommend DuckDuckGo https://duckduckgo.com/ ).

But bottom-line is that we have brought this down upon ourselves; we allowed ourselves to be seduced into thinking that a company is willing to invest millions and millions of dollars to provide a 'free' service. We have suspended common sense and well founded wisdom just because of our lack of understanding in a new technology. Next time you go to use Google or suggest to someone that they 'Google it' consider Google's reported 2018 income of $136 billion (US) and ask yourself how did they make it? Or next time you tell someone that Facebook is free think about their reported 2018 income of $55 billion (US).
Not bad for companies who are offering a 'free' service.

Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3721 Posts
Posted 09/11/2019   6:52 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes it is worth grieving over the vandalism that photobucket has recently done to my beloved Australian KGV Stamps explained thread.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3721 Posts
Posted 09/11/2019   8:07 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
!!!

Exclamation marks were originally called the "note of admiration." They are still, to this day, used to express excitement. They are also used to express surprise, astonishment, or any other such strong emotion. Any exclamatory sentence can be properly followed by an exclamation mark, to add additional emphasis.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
958 Posts
Posted 09/11/2019   11:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Have just looked at my Australian KGV Stamps explained thread to notice that photobucket has changed my images to be blury since I last looked some months ago.

Yes, I noticed the same thing in my old Photobucketized posts on another (non-philatelic) forum. Whatever. I'm surprised that they've left even that much, so long after I decided that I wasn't going to pay for their absurdly overpriced subscription.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
876 Posts
Posted 09/12/2019   12:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add finches to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
KGv Collector.
Your KGV thread & explanations are appreciated by collectors within my circle.

Photobuckets attitude of shaking one's hand, with a gun in the other, repels harmony among us troops, regardless of Photobuckets running/storage costs.
Learn More...
8452 Posts
Posted 09/12/2019   02:30 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...with a gun in the other...

You lost me, please explain how anyone was forced to use Photobucket. Forums like SCF always prefer that you upload image files to the forum itself to prevent problems just like this.

No one is (was) a victim of Photobucket. There are only people who did not read the Terms of Use, people who suspended common sense, or people who simply crossed their fingers and hoped that they might get something for free for year after year.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
876 Posts
Posted 09/12/2019   05:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add finches to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
51 Studebaker,

Don, photobucket had a long term business plan storing images. What a simple way to earn income....allow the public in for free, eventually start charging....thus the gun analogy (imo)
Learn More...
8452 Posts
Posted 09/12/2019   05:25 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is a very common business plan, often called a 'loss leader'. Look at Uber. They have been willing to lose over $3-$4 billion dollars per year, literally losing money on every ride. Why? Their business plan is to offer the service at a loss until they get a large market share and then raise prices. Amazon lost huge amounts of money for a number of years when they started. Even eBay seduced folks to use the service for small listings. Now that they are slowly purging these unprofitable listings (by changing their policies and requirements) folks get upset.

Nothing wrong with folks taking advantage of these lose leaders while they last, but it is typically understood that loss leaders go away and are replaced by profitable prices. I do not understand why folks get upset with loss leader business plans. Enjoy the 'free' service while it lasts if desired, then move on. <shrugs>
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1333 Posts
Posted 09/12/2019   08:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I received this email from Photobucket a few days ago.

I retrieved all my images a long time ago so I don't care what they do with them.

However, when I come across a thread here for which I contributed images from Photobucket, I replace them with the unaltered images, with the help of the SCF staff. This is doable for me because I have just a handful of images that were hosted on Photobucket. I'm sure some contributors have hundreds or thousands of images.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3721 Posts
Posted 09/12/2019   09:11 am  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you to everyone who listened to an issue that was not an easy one for me!

On another forum about 6 months ago I got into a topic about how great the new photobucket is and how they will never do the holding back people images etc etc Only to do again what they said they would never do again. I could get nowhere with my reply to that thread to never trust photobucket ever again. Now all those people who did not believe me are in another photobucket disaster.

The advice given on SCF about photobucket is totally spot on! Great to see Bobby took a very firm attitude and found our own SCF image hoster.
Learn More...
8452 Posts
Posted 09/12/2019   10:15 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If I owned a forum, I would disallow posting any images from other sources and host all the images locally. One of the largest values in a forum is its cumulative history and some of this value is lost when 3rd party image links inevitable get broken.

I would also never use a 3rd party forum hosting service. You are only building value for them and they can pull a 'Photobucket' at any time. I avoid even posting on forum that are hosted by companies like Delphi and ProBoards, I see no little in building value for them. They are not 'free'.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
943 Posts
Posted 09/12/2019   11:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbcev80 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Don

Quote:
(I use and recommend DuckDuckGo https://duckduckgo.com/ )

Have you ever used DogPile? The search engine submits the search to existing search engines and displays the result for each search engine used.

However, I like the fact that DuckDuckGo doesn't track the user.

Jerry B
Forum Dad
USA
1562 Posts
Posted 09/12/2019   11:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Try to leave a place like proboards and start your own site, then you will see their true colors. They hold your database for ransom. I've seen it.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 613Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05