Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is The Technical Philatelic Term For These?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,094Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5348 Posts
Posted 10/31/2019   7:13 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've seen documents with these before, but I don't know what to call them. This document was in a lot of illegal usages of postage stamps used as revenues, but I'm sure these are not revenue-related, as there was no revenue tax in effect in 1855.

The bisect and quadrisect pieces are not initialed in any way, but are positioned right next to signatories to the document. So were these used in lieu of a notary embossed stamp?

What is the significance of using pieces of postage stamps for this purpose and does the proportion of the stamp used have any significance?

Thanks.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1254 Posts
Posted 10/31/2019   9:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my humble opinion, as I am learning and no expert, the portions of the stamps are being used as seals, as indicated in the document wording in print and script on back. Appears to be illegal use of postage stamps, rather than an embossed seal as you mention.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by No1philatelist - 10/31/2019 9:05 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7668 Posts
Posted 10/31/2019   9:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree.
Pillar Of The Community
4081 Posts
Posted 10/31/2019   11:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I seem to recall Ron Burns has written up one of these (and yes, he had a word for its use), along the lines that portions of a stamp were distributed to remotely located parties who were sign a legal document, this being a way to verify the validity of the signatures by being next to the pieces of the stamp which would obviously fit back together. Almost like a miniature indenture cutting. The use of a stamp was merely a convenience item, which would essentially self-notarize each signature. It was never intended to have any purported postal or revenue value, thus nothing "illegal".
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5348 Posts
Posted 11/01/2019   06:28 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John,

That explanation would make sense... except for the fact that the 2 quadrisect pieces and the bisect piece all represent the top part of two different stamps, not the various portions of the same stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
600 Posts
Posted 11/01/2019   07:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My guess is The methodology was applied to each signature/section independently, not as a collective.

There are 3 signatures this applies to.
The top 2 were signatures required validation so a single stamp was split into quarters. Each opposite half was an individual validation of the signature.

Then with a 3rd signature a new stamp was needed, but only one signature.

Otherwise you run into a problem where you can't validate diagonally. For instance the top left corner with a bottom right.

Edited by rismoney - 11/01/2019 07:31 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2460 Posts
Posted 11/01/2019   09:15 am  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There was definitely a Chronicle, AP, or Linn's article about this. I do seem to recall that they were called "seals" or intended as seals, according to the article.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2498 Posts
Posted 11/01/2019   2:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a really neat item.

I used to collect different usages of 1c stamps - postal usages.
I can't say that I ever saw anything like this. Ironically, this wouldn't have fit in an exhibit of postal usages - it couldn't even be shown as an illegal use since its not even being used as a stamp, thus not illegal. Pretty neat.

The idea that this was used to validate signatures certainly seems like it is on the right track.
Pillar Of The Community
4081 Posts
Posted 11/01/2019   3:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Found it .... See Ron Burns' article on page 266+ of the Aug 2015 Chronicle on Sigillum usage.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
34083 Posts
Posted 11/01/2019   4:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fascinating thread, enjoyed reading.
Sigillum = seal

Australia : "Sydney Views" engraving on stamps.
"Sigillum Nov. Camb. Aust." ("Seal of New South Wales")

Exists : one with error SIGIIUM

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2498 Posts
Posted 11/01/2019   6:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In the Burns article the Banknote stamps had been postally used previously.

In this case, the 1c stamps appear to have possible gum staining, but may have been previously used. Of course, the missing part of the stamp could have the cancel.

Naturally, with this scheme, the stamp could be used or unused- as long as one could get it affixed (if used - no gum).
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
Posted 11/04/2019   5:43 pm  Show Profile Check ericjackson's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ericjackson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They are used as seals for the signature. Quite often you will see die cut wafers, sometimes a small piece of paper cut to various shapes, selvage from sheets of stamps, red sealing wax, or whatever was available. Start looking at documents from the 18th and 19th centuries and you will see a variety of seals.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,094Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05