Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Germania: War Issue By Date Of Cancellation?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
241 Posts
Posted 12/31/2019   8:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add EMaxim to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Both stamps cancelled during or after the war. Could they still be peace issues? I'm not saying that they are. Indeed, I think they're probably not. But still, is it possible for peace issues to be cancelled this late?
Send note to Staff
Edited by EMaxim - 12/31/2019 9:11 pm

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3503 Posts
Posted 12/31/2019   9:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 50pf. Stamp with the nice VIGY, Lothringen/Lorraine 1916 cancel has the look of a possible peace printing. The 30pf. Stamp really has the look of a war printing. Those are my guesses.

I can't remember ever having seen a "peace" Germania stamp with a 1920 cancel, and I have thousands of them.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by bookbndrbob - 12/31/2019 9:14 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
241 Posts
Posted 12/31/2019   9:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Vigy is in Lorraine, but I'm now leaning your way on that stamp.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
241 Posts
Posted 12/31/2019   9:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So let me push the matter a bit further still: If the 50pf shows no sign of a watermark, could itódespite the date of cancellationóbe from the 1902 series?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3503 Posts
Posted 12/31/2019   10:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is probably possible. I don't have a VIGY cancel, so I'm guessing it is was a very small place in 1916.

I can recall purchasing some presidential series stamps around 1960 at a tiny US Post Office in Washington, DC. I was very happy to get some Andrew Johnson 17 centers.
Valued Member
United States
146 Posts
Posted 01/01/2020   08:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 30 Pfg is definitely a war printing. The horizontal background lines are uneven in width. The 50 Pfg is most likely a war printing but I could not say definitely.

If you cannot see a watermark it does not mean it is the unwatermarked issue. It may not be visible due to poor paper quality or the dandy roll was beginning to wear out.

Here would be a good place to note the peace/war printing question. The catalog seems to imply there are two printings, one peace and one war, but that is not so. There are as many as 15-20 different printings, depending on the denomination. As the war progressed it became more difficult to obtain quality paper and ink. Near the end of the war it was difficult to get experienced printers. So the stamp quality went down, but not in a linear fashion. Some stamps may have good paper and poor ink or vice versa. If you want one of each it's simple. A 1914 or earlier cancellation is always a "peace" printing; a 1916 or later cancellation is almost always a "war" printing. While it is always possible that a person mailing a letter had a stamp that they found in a drawer (which is how one could have a peace printing stamp with a war date) it seems that most Germans would go to the post office if they needed to mail something.

One interesting way to display these stamps is to collect a few with every year date from 1902 to 1922. It is then easy to see the progression from excellent quality to very poor quality, though the difference between consecutive years is almost negligible.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
241 Posts
Posted 01/01/2020   10:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to you both, but especially to Germania for a very helpful overview. These stamps have now become one of my main collecting interests, both for the design and for their ongoing involvement in a period such great historical significance.

Quote:
The horizontal background lines are uneven in width.

Can any similar conclusion be drawn from the unevenness of the surrounding white frame? (Not on OP, but on others I have.)
Edited by EMaxim - 01/01/2020 10:52 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3503 Posts
Posted 01/01/2020   11:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think Germania's advice is very good. Separating these stamps by year cancel is the best way to examine these stamps for print and paper quality, as well as color shades (but not color confirmation). This is particularly true if you have a large number of them.

If you are really interested in these, you will need a Michel Deutschland-Spezial catalog. And if your curiosity gets the best of you, you will contact an expertizer in Germany and send some of your "candidates" for evaluation. Then you will get some real surprises, I have no doubt.
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
939 Posts
Posted 01/02/2020   4:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Galeoptix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As Germania already suggested there is NO peace versus war issue!

It is a continuum that shows influences from war conditions. Other war circumstances - WWII - may have some influences on definitives like i.e. the UK change of inks.

What the Germans are doing is absolutely ridiculous and only serves the German "PrŁfer"who can make a living out of our stupidity ;)
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
241 Posts
Posted 01/03/2020   11:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Quite right about "war" vs. "peace" issues. The task, I think, should be to distinguish stamps printed before the war from later issues that, to a varying degree, progressively show the effects of war-time conditions. A task we can undertake or not, depending on degree of interest.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05