Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help With British India Cancellations?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28852 Posts
Posted 02/02/2020   6:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Rod, is the page you posted from Billig's Vol. 40, sub-vol.III?

Eric, sorry no idea at all.
It was sent to me on 1st February 2008 as part of study fellowship.
From whom I cannot recall.

It in inspired me to save one day for a Billigs set (c$1,200)
If the Billigs you are looking at has "India" then I would suggest that is the one, but certainly ask the vendor.
There are differing editions of Billigs also, I believe.

The unknown, above, I keep a scan with the available text string,
in this case ANAGHU then as more examples come to light, I can search for text strings that match.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 02/02/2020 6:14 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
256 Posts
Posted 02/02/2020   9:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
2008? So, by now you've probably reached that amount for a purchase of the whole set? Or perhaps you'd rather spend on food and shelter? In any event, here is a link that provides the contents of Billig's many volumes. India seems to be in Vol. 40, sub-vol. III

http://www.stampnotes.com/PhilaTopi...ndbooks.html

Eric
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28852 Posts
Posted 02/02/2020   9:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Eric,
thanks for that list, fabulous.
I've copied that to MSWorks, so I can search offline.
With due accreditation to author.

I'll be buying Billigs this year, subject to availability.
Possibly Leonard Hartman.
Valued Member
India
334 Posts
Posted 02/22/2020   2:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

peterh

Quote:

Half Anna PS cutout - CHANDER NAGAR (I think not Srinagar)

Pyotr missed the place just by 2094km.

The Danby type B squared circle cancel on the Br. India 1886 A H&G B4a/Lang EA9 or Br. India 1883 A H&G B4/Lang EA8 (less likely) envelope imprint cut square is of Chamarajanagar Combined Sub Post Office and Telegraph Office, a Br. Indian post office established inside the territory of the Indian feudatory state of Maisuru, but now located in Chamarajanagar (12.0526N 77.2865E) in Chamarajanagar district of Karnataka state.

Incidentally Maisuru state operated a highly efficient and very cheap intra-state public postal service called Maisuru Anche from 1672 to 1889.

It was established by Maisuru ruler Chikkadevaraya Odeyar (16451704) exclusively for transmission of official and military intelligence but later was opened to the public.

It employed a large army of Anche Harkara/Begari (postal runner) and Anche Offices used separate postmarks.

The postal service was forcibly ended by the British.

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopi...919#p3592919
Valued Member
India
334 Posts
Posted 02/22/2020   2:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

peterh

Quote:

12 Annas - QUETTA

The cds on Br. India 1888 12A SG 100 is actually of Datiya Sub PO, a Br. Indian PO established inside the territory of the Indian feudatory state of Daitya, now located in Datiya (25.6653N 78.4609E) in Datiya district of Madhya Pradesh state.

Datiya also maintained an intra-state public postal system from 1893 to 1921 and issued postage stamps and stationeries.
Valued Member
India
334 Posts
Posted 02/26/2020   2:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The cds dt. Dec 2,1903 on Br. India 1900 A SG 113 is of Naushahra-Dhala Branch PO, Amritsar (31.63398N 74.87226E), now located in Amritsar district of Panjab state.

Naushahra-Dhala BPO did not have savings bank or the facilities of booking of telegrams, foreign parcels and payment of money orders.
Valued Member
India
334 Posts
Posted 02/26/2020   2:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The combined datestamp and obliterator on Br. India 1883 2A SG O42 is of Chaura-Maidan Sub PO and TO in Shimla/Shyamala (31.1048N 77.1734E), now located in Shimla district of Himachal Pradesh.
Valued Member
India
334 Posts
Posted 02/26/2020   2:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The Registration datestamp dt. March 1,1905 on Br. India 1892 1R SG 106 is of Vishakhapatnam Head PO (est. 1788) in Vishakhapatnam (17.6868N 83.2185E), now located in Vishakhapatnam district of Andhra Pradesh state.

Vishakhapatnam HPO-cum-Disbursing Office functioned under 1st/Shrikakulam Division of Chennai Circle till 1870.
In 1871, it came under newly created Vishakhapatnam Division.
On Dec 1,1883, it was designated as Vishakhapatnam Combined Head Post Office and Telegraph Office.
Valued Member
India
334 Posts
Posted 02/26/2020   2:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The cds dt. Feb 7,1907 on Br. India 1903 8A SG 133 is of Vijayanagaram City SPO & TO, Vijayanagaram (18.1067N 83.3956E), now located in Vijayanagaram district of Andhra Pradesh state.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
132 Posts
Posted 02/26/2020   3:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add peterh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Pyotr missed the place just by 2094km.

India's a big place Joy, that's not so far out
Valued Member
United Kingdom
132 Posts
Posted 02/26/2020   3:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add peterh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
peterh

Quote:

12 Annas - QUETTA

The cds on Br. India 1888 12A SG 100 is actually of Datiya Sub PO, a Br. Indian PO established inside the territory of the Indian feudatory state of Daitya, now located in Datiya (25.6653N 78.4609E) in Datiya district of Madhya Pradesh state.

Datiya also maintained an intra-state public postal system from 1893 to 1921 and issued postage stamps and stationeries.

See what happens when you're not online Joy - us amateurs have a try
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05