Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Two Cent Washington Not Sure What It Is.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
15 Posts
Posted 02/15/2020   11:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Jvpool to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have scanned this stamp

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
496 Posts
Posted 02/15/2020   9:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not know the Scott # - however I do know that it is a 2 cent Washington Schermack. Here is a similar one that sold on HipStamp - I am not saying that is the exact one you have, but it is a start as you search. :) I am sure the experts will chime in with a more detailed answer.

https://www.hipstamp.com/listing/19...iii/19987174
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
7847 Posts
Posted 02/15/2020   9:31 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can learn more about your stamp here http://stampsmarter.com/1847usa/PrivatePerfs.html
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
843 Posts
Posted 02/16/2020   07:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add finches to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jvpool,

That Stampsmarter site DON suggested, the 4 x 'ear locks of hair' shown & unshaded(?) color patch behind the ear suggest type one.

I may be very wrong ...I'm trying to come to grips with the 4 types myself. What type do you think ?.
Pillar Of The Community
2545 Posts
Posted 02/16/2020   08:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
finches,
Note the bottom text: "TWO CENTS", this can only be 344 or 384 differentiated by the watermark.
(With Schermack Type III vending and affixing machine perforations.)
Hopefully this will speed your journey through the stampsmarter site.
Edited by John Becker - 02/16/2020 08:47 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
843 Posts
Posted 02/17/2020   12:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add finches to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you John.

No excuse for my embarrassing oversight/undersight.
Valued Member
United States
15 Posts
Posted 02/17/2020   05:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jvpool to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks I also have a green one that looks the same.
Pillar Of The Community
Singapore
723 Posts
Posted 02/17/2020   12:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just curious, how does one tell a fake schermack?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
575 Posts
Posted 02/17/2020   3:39 pm  Show Profile Check kcaramat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add kcaramat to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why would anyone fake a Schermack????? Very minimal value

Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
Posted 02/17/2020   3:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rhett to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Shermack type III perfs would probably only be faked to try to mimic a 314A or 482A; as has been stated, not much incentive to do so otherwise.
Pakistan
2 Posts
Posted 02/20/2020   12:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zunaidsallie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hi dear experts
i have been studying and learned alot from your fabulous opinions.
can u please help me by identifying this stamp.
i tried to post a better picture but due to size restriction I only managed to upload this one.
tonga button is much heavier than it looks in this photo.
regards
Pillar Of The Community
United States
575 Posts
Posted 02/20/2020   1:25 pm  Show Profile Check kcaramat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add kcaramat to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Certainly not heavy enough to be a 482A.

With watermark, it's a 409. Without watermark it is a 482. Either way worth less than $1

Pillar Of The Community
Singapore
723 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   12:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a 482A, so how does one tell that the schermack is fake?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scott-482a...AOSwEy1dvIM3
Pillar Of The Community
2545 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   1:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pennyblackie,

For the permanent record, here is the image in the eBay lot link above:

Let's talk about the two stamps.

1. The first stamp reads "TWO CENTS" across the bottom, thus can only be 344 or 384.

2. The second stamp is a type I, clearly lacking the type Ia characteristics of the toga button and toga rope. It can only be 409 or 482, but read onward.

3. You ask about genuine vs fake Schermack perfs. The best way is to examine a group of them and learn the characteristics by experience. Specifically, the squareness of the slot and the spacing between the two slots. The first stamp looks correct. The second stamp has non-typical angled cuts which scream to me that someone has taken a normal imperforate 409 or 482 and tried (poorly) to add their own mimic of Schermack perfs.

Bottom line ... if you want a 482A, buy one with a cert or take the time to learn the finer points, otherwise it is swimming in deep water without a life guard.
Pillar Of The Community
Singapore
723 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   2:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
john becker, thanks for the explanation. You did mention about slot spacing and all that, but if the serious forger takes these into account, wouldn't it still be extremely hard to to tell if the schermack is genuine?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05