Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question On German Democratic Republic 1956 Stamp

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2155 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   04:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

Double check the used one at top left. I shouldn't have listed the two varieties with a "-" in the Michel CV (MiNr. 28 x X II and MiNr. 37 y A X) in that manner, as I don't think they actually exist (Michel differentiates between a blank value [doesn't exist] and a "-" value [exists, but unknown value]).

As you can see in the actual catalog excerpt below, Michel only lists a value for the MiNr. 37 y A X as a reprint CTO (to the right of the vertical line at right), which I listed in the chart as MiNr 37 y A X N. So, I don't think that combination you show actually exists, as yours isn't a CTO.

I've corrected the table above to show only 21 Michel varieties rather than the previous 23 by removing MiNr. 28 x X II and MiNr. 37 y A X.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Edited by PostmasterGS - 02/23/2020 04:27 am
Valued Member
Romania
121 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   11:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cupram to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Several months ago, I tried to identify these stamps.
Unfortunately I didn't find it.
I try to explain with pictures with stamps how you can identify valuable stamps (Michel ed.2011) I do not know German so I can make mistakes in my explanations.
For sorting it was easier for me to use print types (See Fig 1). Scott # O1-O17 litho print.After, only typo print.
Litho print in two emissions (See Fig.2):
-first emission (with 3 lines of points) originals
-second emission ("nachdruck" term in Michel-with 5 lines of points and only CTO) They have a very small value except the values of 12.15,16 and 70 pfennig which can be found without CTO (300 Euro)
Follow the typo print emission (See Fig 1) with different papers, watermarks and perforations.
Michel's page with valuable stamps - See Fig. 6.
The conditions to be met are:
-perforation 13x12.5
-granite paper (See Fig 4-textile fibers in composition)
- type I or II stamp (See Fig 3) I saw in a preview post a change in Michel ed.2019?
- 2XI or 2XII watermark (See Fig 5) - I failed to distinguish them on my stamps (watermark 297 in Scott)
If you have watermark 3X (Scott 313) the stamp is a low value (See Fig 7)

Valued Member
United States
11 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   1:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampy1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Granted I'm new to stamp collecting, but you guys are blowing my mind! So many possibilities. My stamp is a design 4 (compass arc to the right, compass knob open, hammer shadow on the left). It's perf 14, and I'm guessing it's the granite paper based on the fibers on the back. Which brings us to the watermark, which I'm having difficulty discerning (a common problem I'm running into). I use the clarity fluid with a small black tray. Might be time for me to bring it to someone that knows what they're doing to identify the watermark.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
864 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   2:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stampy1,

It is granite paper. You don't need to check the watermark on a perf 14. Only the 1957 issues came in perforation 14. It's a Scott O40, Michel Nr. 37yBY. It has a Wz 3Y watermark if you want to check though.

Dan
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
864 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   2:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My initial tiny table was intended as a quick and dirty way to distinguish among the three stamps listed in Scott, O22, O22a and O40 and the one unlisted variety, Michel 32Y without getting into the weeds. I'm happy to see the discussion that followed. I've always thought of DDR stamps as the "unloved step-child" of German philately.

As PostmasterGS correctly described in depth, if you look at DDR stamps with all the plate flaws and watermark variations instead of "just a bunch of CTOs," there is some interesting and challenging collecting to be done. There are a number of definitive DDR issues that are complicated such as: The Portrait Types, President Pieck series, President Ulbrecht series and the ever-popular Five-year plan series.

Dan

Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
APS Member #223433
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
864 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   2:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stampy1

Quote:
Which brings us to the watermark, which I'm having difficulty discerning

Keep at it! Practice on other stamps. DDR watermarks don't always "pop" like other German issues.

Dan
APS Member #223433
Valued Member
United States
11 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   2:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampy1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Danstamps54- I'll say. I have two others, and I can't detect even a trace of a watermark on either.

Thanks all, this has been very informative!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05