Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canada Scott/Unitrade # 196i New Variety Stamp Listing

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 858Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
3360 Posts
Posted 03/09/2020   07:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jogil to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

2 cents Canada Medallion stamp dry printed variety.

3 cents Canada Medallion stamp unlisted dry printed variety.
Send note to Staff
Edited by jogil - 03/09/2020 07:44 am

Pillar Of The Community
7315 Posts
Posted 03/11/2020   1:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jogil
Your 3 cents Canada Medallion stamp unlisted dry printed variety...Is it a DEI I..??

Robert
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
3360 Posts
Posted 03/11/2020   5:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wert: Yes, it is a Scott/Unitrade 197 with Die I stamp and it is found with printing plates 1 and 2 only. The Scott/Unitrade 196i is found with printing plates 1 and 2 only.
Pillar Of The Community
3360 Posts
Posted 08/07/2020   08:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the first sale of Canada Scott Unitrade # 196i that was noted since this variety was just recently listed:

https://www.brixtonchrome.com/colle...t29-august-5

Scott Unitrade 196i (left), Scott Unitrade 196 (right)
Edited by jogil - 08/07/2020 09:01 am
Pillar Of The Community
7315 Posts
Posted 08/07/2020   09:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice..So I guess we can not determine whether a USED 196 is actually a 196i..

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
3360 Posts
Posted 08/07/2020   09:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is flat gum type (embossed/debossed) from dry pregummed paper (without the Stickney rotary press wet printing vertical gum streak lines). The horizontal gum breaker lines were applied by the web-fed wheel and bar perforator and not the printing press.
Edited by jogil - 08/07/2020 09:29 am
Pillar Of The Community
7315 Posts
Posted 08/07/2020   2:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jogil
Can used Scott 196i be identified by a strong embossed impression as per Unitrade...??

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
3360 Posts
Posted 08/08/2020   08:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, but to be on the safe side it should have no horizontal gum breakers showing. Most 196i have traces of gum breakers while some do not. Out of the three 196i blocks of four stamps shown above, the third block down does not have gum breakers on the stamps. However, the stamp block selvage margin does have the gum breaker lines. If one looks at some copies of 195d, one can find faint traces of horizontal gum breaker lines on the gum when tilting the stamps at an angle. The gum breaker bars were gradually reduced and removed over time during the perforating of stamps with dry gum because they were found to be unnecessary. Gum breakers were needed for wet printed stamps to help reduce curling. For Stickney rotary press printings, small vertical line streaked gum is an indication of wet printing.
Edited by jogil - 08/08/2020 08:06 am
Pillar Of The Community
3360 Posts
Posted 10/21/2020   09:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another Canada 196i that sold online recently at https://www.brixtonchrome.com/produ...ary-printing

Pillar Of The Community
3360 Posts
Posted 10/21/2020   10:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Two wet printed stamps on the top: 195 and 196
Two dry printed stamps on the bottom: 199 and 196i

Pillar Of The Community
7315 Posts
Posted 10/21/2020   10:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Now you got me interested....We need a write up for all collectors to benefit from.

Robert
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 858Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05