Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Your US 1851-57 Imperforate Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 852 / Views: 23,625Next Topic
Page: of 57
Pillar Of The Community
United States
512 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   11:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Hare correspondence covers that I have seen only span a short period that corresponds with use of the '56 5 stamp. None of the '47 issue covers are addressed to Hare (mostly addressed to Noble and Wier). I don't have any Hare covers prior to '56 or with 1861 issue stamps. I do have a 5 perf 1857 type 1 (I think #28 red brown) addressed to Hare.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1531 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   12:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
#11 strip of four - 85-88R7 - Pretty wide spacing here:

Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   12:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add banknoteguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks wider spaced horizontally than vertically -- or is that an illusion? Why would they make the placement tighter in one direction?
Edited by banknoteguy - 05/30/2020 12:26 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1531 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   12:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
#11 strip of three - positions 95-97L4. The spacing is bad due to the transfer roll getting more and more out of alignment with the previously-entered column toward the bottom of the plate. As most here know, bad alignment like this resulted in extra frame lines being added to the "three rows" of plate 3 covered earlier in this thread.

Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   12:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add banknoteguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was not aware that the spacing varied that markedly. That 95-97L4 block is very interesting.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1531 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   12:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Looks wider spaced horizontally that vertically -- or is that an illusion? Why would they make the placement tighter in one direction?

The vertical spacing was determined by the spacing between the reliefs on the transfer roll, which was fixed. The horizontal spacing was determined by how far the siderographer placed the transfer roll from the previous entries on the plate.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1531 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   1:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While we're on the subject of multiples, spacing problems, and the "three rows," Here is a 79-80L3 pair with an extra frame line added at left, omitted frame lines in the middle, and the normal two frame lines at right.

Valued Member
United States
110 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   2:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
classic coins -- those are some really nice multiples you posted -- I especially like the 95-97L4 strip for the way it shows the spacing between 95 and 96L4 -- which I believe is the closest spacing between any two vertical columns on all 13 of the imperforate plates. Very nice!

On the subject of spacing -- attached is a scan of position 19R7 -- which shows the TFL abnormally close to the design -- and actually touching the left end of the top label block. Unlike the tight spacing on your 95-97L4 strip which, as you noted, resulted from misalignment of the transfer roll during entry, this spacing variety resulted from sloppy recutting.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2639 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   2:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is 89L3, of the Three Rows plate positions. The cancel adds some uniqueness. Edit: wow, sorry for the giant image. This was done with my camera.

Edited by stampcrow - 05/30/2020 2:53 pm
Valued Member
United States
110 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   2:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an odd combination of 3c imperforate plate positions used on piece which has always intrigued me for an explanation. It is a Kansas Territorial usage franked with 22L6 on the left and 54L1L on the right. The piece is docketed as 1857. The color of the 54L1L is in-between 1853 dull red and 1854 rose red -- and the impression shows no evidence of the serious plate wear seen on later printings -- so likely a late 1853 or early 1854 printing. In any event, 1857 is a very late usage for a plate 1L stamp. On the other hand, 1857 is contemporaneous with the period during which plate 6 stamps were in general usage. I guess the postmaster (or sender) had an old 3 cent stamp laying around and decided to use it -- but that is a very long time for the 54L1L to be laying around unused -- as back in the 1850's, folks typically did not buy stamps until the time of actual mailing? Either way, this is a very strange combination usage from the perspective of plate positions.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1531 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   4:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ioagoa, Thanks. I appreciate the feedback.

That's a really nice example of the mis-cut top frame line on 19R7. And a beautiful four-margin stamp!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1531 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   4:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stephen, that's a great example of 89L3, with three frame lines at left, and only one at right.

Yeah, it's especially neat that the radial cancel is centered on the lower-left rosette.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1531 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   4:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ioagoa, that territorial usage is very strange, indeed. That piece has a lot going on, and is a great conversation item.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1013 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   5:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chipg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
98-100L1E strip

on this cover:
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2066 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   5:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
spqr - Thanks for the information on Hare. That's useful.

I do have a Noble cover, from late 1851.

I guess I might as well post it ... the use is Dec 1851 and the stamp is a 10A.

Page: of 57 Previous TopicReplies: 852 / Views: 23,625Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05