Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Togo "1919" S.c. #20 3pf Brown - Double Impression - Catalog Number And Value Please

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 729Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
428 Posts
Posted 07/21/2020   08:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add souldjer777 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Togo "1919" S.C. #20 3pf brown - Double impression. Please let me know if there is a catalog number and value for this stamp. Thank you.

Normal

Highlight

Send note to Staff
Whatever you see is for sale, just email me an honest offer
Edited by souldjer777 - 07/22/2020 07:16 am

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4970 Posts
Posted 07/21/2020   08:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't look like a double impression to me ?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
428 Posts
Posted 07/21/2020   08:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add souldjer777 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is there a catalog number and value for a double impression?

I don't have a resource for it if there is one. I'd appreciate it if you have that information please. Thanks again.
Pillar Of The Community
France
1330 Posts
Posted 07/21/2020   08:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Michel catalogue does not mention any double impression
Valued Member
428 Posts
Posted 07/21/2020   08:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add souldjer777 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's great news, thank you. I have no doubt it's a double impression. Below is the image with the highlighted double impression shifted for a modest example.

Learn More...
8599 Posts
Posted 07/21/2020   08:53 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion it is not even close to a double impression.
Don
Valued Member
428 Posts
Posted 07/21/2020   08:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add souldjer777 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, what would you call it then Don? It's not a normal stamp and it has an impression of the boat, flag and ribbon.
Edited by souldjer777 - 07/21/2020 09:01 am
Learn More...
8599 Posts
Posted 07/21/2020   09:22 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Appears to me to be an inking issue.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3622 Posts
Posted 07/21/2020   09:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Could be a minor slip or kiss print impression. You may want to go to re-entries.com and check their definitions. In any case, it is not a typical double-impression, so I also vote with an inking issue and little, if any, extra value.
Valued Member
428 Posts
Posted 07/21/2020   09:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add souldjer777 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
At this point - the value of the stamp is relative. Scott's catalog shows the most minor of issues on U.S. stamps as being valuable. Double transfers, cracked plates, retouches, etc...

When hasn't a stamps value been in the eye of the beholder - since people have always been the beholders.

Quick Google...

Double Impression (Double Transfer) is a stamp on which the design, or a portion of the design, is doubled. The second impression may be a full, or show only part of the original design.

I did the detective work to prove out that it is the design printed twice on the stamp. There is more ink to highlight however, this was only a modest attempt to show the doubling. I didn't go to extremes to show all the doubling that is available.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6112 Posts
Posted 07/21/2020   09:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As stated, not. DT. looks normal
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4970 Posts
Posted 07/21/2020   10:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a darker shade than mine and maybe a heavyer inking that is from someone who has 4 copies of that stamp .
Valued Member
India
376 Posts
Posted 07/21/2020   11:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The imagined double-printing is the result of foreign particles/impurities on typographic plate.
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2308 Posts
Posted 07/21/2020   8:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know if it's the scan or the stamp, but something looks amiss with this stamp.

The paper doesn't look right, though that could be a result of photo or scanner software applying some form of processing to the image.

The print quality is poorer than it should be for the 1900 issue, and the color is wrong. It looks more like the 1918 issue, which is darker in color and of a significantly lower print and paper quality. Does it have a watermark?

WRT the "double impression", I don't think it is. I think it's just poor inking that can happen with these issues.

Unlike Scott with the U.S. issues, Michel doesn't place a premium on "double impressions" except in rare cases where it is really egregious. In those instances, it isn't worth much of a premium either.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4979 Posts
Posted 07/21/2020   10:00 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Inking anomalies. Nowhere even remotely near a double impression.
Valued Member
428 Posts
Posted 07/22/2020   07:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add souldjer777 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you PostmasterGS - I updated the topic and added the S.C. number. Yes, the stamp has a watermark.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 729Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05