Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

King George V Sideface Varieties

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 115 / Views: 2,830Next Topic
Page: of 8
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1514 Posts
Posted 09/23/2020   11:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
KGV varieties are WAY outside my field of expertise.

I do have this 1d violet though, that appears to show the kangaroo with his tongue out!

Any information on this stamp would be much appreciated

PS: Milestone post
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
583 Posts
Posted 09/24/2020   09:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bobby:

Sorry to report, but this is not the Kangaroo with its tongue out. The 1d Violet version is BW 76(4)u in position VIII/56. Also it is not the variety 80(4)ua retouched variety as this is first reported on BW 80, the green Type 5 Small Multiple watermark of October 1926. (Variety (4)ub is in position VIII/59 and thus not related to the Tongue Out variety.) Here is the ACSC illustration:

Question to all: How can you tell between the (4)ua retouch variety and a normal stamp? Are there other distinguishing marks on Position VIII/56?

Frank
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
583 Posts
Posted 09/24/2020   10:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No topic showing KGV 1p would be complete without showing the "secret mark".

Agreed.

This is one of the few varieties that SG have in their catalogue. It is listed as 21ch, 47e, 57d, 76b and 95ab. (I've probably missed at least one entry.) SG 125 does not include the variety as it was retouched and no longer net their criteria. See BW 82(4)da for the SG 125 equivalent in this position.
Edited by itma - 09/24/2020 2:35 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
583 Posts
Posted 09/24/2020   12:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an unlisted flaw of BW 81 - break in right frame. On the rear is a pencil notation I44 so I presume the previous owner had reason to believe that it came from electro I, position 44. Hopefully one of you out there has a similar variety or can otherwise confirm the I/44 position. I have a number of stamps from the previous owner of this stamp and I have yet to find an incorrect position.

Also, can anyone say whose perfin - H/LTD sideways, reversed as seen from the front - this is.

BW 81 unlisted flaw (SG 95)
Perfin H/LTD sideways
Variety: Unconfirmed - broken right frame
Issued: 23 December 1926
Perf: 13 x 12
Wmk: Type 5 small multiple
Position: Unconfirmed Plate 1, electro 1, position 44 (i/44)
Edited by itma - 09/24/2020 12:56 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
583 Posts
Posted 09/24/2020   1:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a pair of BW 82. Unfortunately, only the left stamp has a variety - 83(3)q White scratch adjoining top right of crown.

BW 82(3)q attached to regular 82 (SG 125 This variety is not listed)
Variety: White scratch adjoining top right of crown
Earliest known date of use: 2 October 1931
Perf: 13 x 12
Wmf: Type 6 Multiple Crown over C of A (SG 15)
Position: Plate 3, electro VI, left stamp position 41 (VI/41)

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1514 Posts
Posted 09/24/2020   4:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you itma - most informative
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3614 Posts
Posted 09/24/2020   9:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Question to all: How can you tell between the (4)ua retouch variety and a normal stamp? Are there other distinguishing marks on Position VIII/56?

Frank. I couldn't tell from the illustration at all. However, the listing in ACSC says, "Corrected by re-entry (shading behind kangaroo thicker)."

Now that is a tough one to see.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3614 Posts
Posted 09/24/2020   9:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have to step back to the 1/2p to show you an interesting variety.

Scott 20
ACSC BW 66(7)ra
1/2p, Single Watermark
Issued 8 November 1923
Perf 14.25 x 14 comb.
Position 7R58
"S.W. Corner shaved and flaw on 2 at left"

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
583 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   3:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Partime:

Quote:
However, the listing in ACSC says, "Corrected by re-entry (shading behind kangaroo thicker)

Re the 81(4)ua variety, I misread re-entry as retouch. Also. I didn't read the description note for 80(4)ua which is not repeated in 81(4)ua.

Looking at the ACSC illustration of this variety, I think I can make out slightly wider shading lines for (4)ua so I guess I'll have to go through all my un-positioned BW 80 and 81s again.

Frank.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
583 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   3:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Re the secret mark variety (4(da)), there is a series of varieties in electro 1 in positions 1/16, 22, 28, 34, 40 and 46 similar to the disturbance of the lower frame in 4(da). These, of course, are in a single column in the pane.

Variety Position
(1)d 16 Dent in bottom frame under "E P" of ONE PENNY
(1)da 22 under NN of PENNY
(1)db 28 under second N of PENNY
(1)dc 34 under left side of right value tablet
(1)dd 40 under middle of right value table
(1)de 46 under secon N of PENNY
(1)df d to de in vertical strip of 6

Here are the ACSC illustrations:

Additionally, I have the following unlisted variety on BW 82 which has exactly the same form, this time under the Y of PENNY. Again, I need someone else to have this flaw for it to be considered a constant variety. The position has previously been identified as electro VII, position 16.

If I remember correctly, there was a thread lately that talked about chisels being dropped on plates. Could well be!
Edited by itma - 09/25/2020 4:05 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
583 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   4:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, the tabular data in my previous post didn't turn out as expected. Apparently multiple spaces are reduced to a single space.

So how do I include a table?

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3614 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   9:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So how do I include a table?

Create the table in Excel
Take a picture, or snippet of the table
Put the picture in your next post
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3614 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   9:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I need someone else to have this flaw for it to be considered a constant variety. The position has previously been identified as electro VII, position 16.

It's quite the coincidence, but I posted the same question in this much older thread:

http://goscf.com/t/43585

Here are relevant pictures from that thread:

I think we have a very, very close match. This is fun!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3614 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   10:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On Page 1 of this thread, I wrote a diatribe about BW 72(2)ja and the ugliness of that stamp. Well, looking back through my stamps, I found its twin in an Official Stamp, though I am not sure if this is Rough or Smooth paper. Scott OB21e.

The broken line at top is hidden by the cancellation, but the crown is rounded.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
583 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   10:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's great news, Partime. Why don't you bump a post onto that old thread to close it off as solved. Since we very obviously have a constant variety, what would we have to do to get it listed in ACSC? It's every bit as visible as most of the 82(1)d to de varieties.

Yippee!!
Edited by itma - 09/25/2020 10:15 pm
Page: of 8 Replies: 115 / Views: 2,830Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05