Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

CTO Stamps Real Or Fake?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 620Next Topic  
Indonesia
2 Posts
Posted 10/12/2020   09:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Castielus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, greetings from Indonesia. I've been collecting stamps since I was 10. Now I'm 40. Though I lost all my stamps during the move, I now start collecting again by purchasing online. But I always come across Cancelled To Order CTO stamps. You know, the ones with postmark printed instead of stamped. I am frustrated to be honest. They look so great but feel so fake. I am clueless, please help me by enlightening me....

1. Are CTO stamps considered original stamps?
2. Is there any fake CTO?

3. ALL CTO stamps I have are printed on art-paperish or posterish paper, no glue on the back. They don't feel like real stamps. More like play things for kids. Are they original?How can I tell my CTOs are real or not?

4. CTO stamps series... the images I mean... Were they ever released as functional real stamps? Or are all CTO stamps exclusively CTO, never released to function as purchasable real stamps to be stamped for mails? - I'm sorry if this question is confusing. I hope someone understand what I mean...

Below I attach some of my CTO. I really love dinosaurs stamps. All of them are frustratingly CTO. Curiously, many African countries released dino CTO, which makes me wonder about their authenticity....

I really miss the old days when snail mails were trendy. I miss stamp trading...

Anyway thanks for reading and prior thanks for enlightening me....
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
943 Posts
Posted 10/12/2020   11:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Galeoptix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
CTO does NOT always mean the stamps have a cancellation that was printed together with the stamps themelves!

Most 3rd world areas have "cancellations" that are offset-printed even with a coarse screen!

Some CTO's are very interesting!

I love those in photogravure for both the stamp design as well as the "cancellation" - British Commonwealth like Kenya or Tanganyika or the USSR!

Right now I am writing an article about the CTO's of Hungary. No Hungarian stamp expert has any idea how to recognize them! And they can be recognized just by the FEEL - let them slip through your fingers!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Indonesia
2 Posts
Posted 10/12/2020   1:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Castielus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@GaleOptix:
That is very interesting. No wonder Im confused when searching about CTO online. Here, online sellers always label printed postmark as CTO. Is there any better or mpre precise term for such CTO stamps?

Yes I agree, many CTO are great to look at. But Im worried about being scammed. Printed CTOs can be expensive here, around USD 5-10 per set.

I NEVER find printed CTO with coarse surface. All that I have are always smooth-surfaced, semi glossy just like thin art paper used in magazines.

Please do share the article link after u finish it. Although I havent come across any Hungarian CTOs, I need to read it :)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4987 Posts
Posted 10/12/2020   1:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
CASTIELUS ---Enjoy what you have, no problem adding them to your collection , I have close to 75,000 different CTO's and even some like SAAR which catalog over $100.00 per set {they catalog over $400.00 for postal used .}. Every collector makes their own decision how to collect.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
466 Posts
Posted 10/12/2020   5:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codehappy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 'Somali Republic' sets were not authorized by the postal authorities of Somalia (in fact, there wasn't a Somali postal service at the time they were printed.) Those stamps were printed by some private enterprise with no official affiliation with Somalia, solely to sell as topicals.

Western Saharan independence isn't recognized by most countries, but there is a de facto Sahrawi government in the southern part of Morocco, and they did authorize the stamps in the top row of the sheet. They are not officially recognized in international mails, but some get used for postage anyway. They're as legitimate as stamps from unrecognized states like the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, or breakaway states like Katanga.

The Cambodian, Cuban, and Soviet stamps were all regular postage issues.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1697 Posts
Posted 10/12/2020   8:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sensing a theme here. Castielus you may enjoy this thread:

http://goscf.com/t/14431&whichpage=1
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
3769 Posts
Posted 11/10/2020   07:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dianne Earl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I totally agree with Floortrader

I have a few collections that have a good amount of CTO's. Most are inexpensive and they look great in my albums.

Dianne
Don't grumble that the roses have thorns, be thankful that the thorns have roses
Valued Member
United States
249 Posts
Posted 11/10/2020   6:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bring on the CTOs! I may not have as many as floortrader, but I happily include them in my collection.

Dale
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 620Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05