Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Recent Experiences - The Good And The Bad

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 77 / Views: 3,868Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2529 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   07:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
or storage lockers, firearms, underfed dogs,
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
8606 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   08:02 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This community has a number of threads which complain about buyers having to wade through an overwhelming amount of eBay listings; many of the listing being repeated over and over for months. Yet at the same time, we also have a number of threads where seller complain about eBay changing policies which discourage mass uploading and listing of lower value items like stamps. (And others which decry eBay's attempts and adding specifics to the listings; something that slows down sellers but helps buyers.)
Once eBay supported sellers doing mass uploads of listings the venue was forever changed. But note that some of the time that sellers save doing bulk listing uploads transferred to the buyers time needed to wade through countless stale listings.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1685 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   10:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When you set up daily reminder emails of new lots matching your requirements, the email tells you how many are new. Since I focus on auctions, there tend to be a limited number of hits. At least it's something.
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
Posted 11/15/2020   2:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add knick1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On Hingeless Albums and Selvage ...

With my move from self-mounted Heirloom albums (someone else's previous work) to hingeless I find another issue that I'm sure others have quickly discovered ...

What do you do with stamps that have selvage? The provided mounts have the perfect room for a single stamp. But add in any edge extra and a minor to major challenge is presented. Very thin strips are relatively easy; more problematic if on the bottom, but not as big of a deal.

What about thicker pieces and even plate number singles/corners? I am staring at this situation now and will provide a couple of images. So ... in the older album I purchased the owner was able to custom-make a mount to fit the extra. You may believe that the results are not visually appealing (I think that) but yet the stamp itself retains more original-state completeness. I will paste the older page I am looking at and then the new Mystic hingeless I need to move to:

The plate corner singles pose a need to preserve as-is. The second stamp on the page has a large white chunk uneven after the perfs. Does this add value? Will it in the future? Does anyone "trim" these to stamp size when something like this presents itself? Or do I go looking for a normal single and move these off to a "find someone who cares more than me" pile for sale later?

Diverging slightly ... I mentioned an album I purchased where the previous owner "over moistened" many mounts and stuck some to the mount. Another practice that was puzzling was that, when faced with a plate number single, he would fold over the selvage at the perfs, tucking it behind the stamp. This made it so you couldn't tell it was there unless removed from the mount, but doesn't that also diminish most of the value of the extra to begin with? Note that I inserted these into the new mounts in the same manner, worried that unfolding wouldn't be good. But I don't want a future owner to blame me for the practice!

I've read rules like "never remove" these pieces. Who has? Be honest!
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5181 Posts
Posted 11/15/2020   2:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I remove stamp-edging on modern stamps without compunction, unless there is some particular interest to it. Printed albums - including expensive ones - are always disfigured by adding additional material, having mounts that are too large etc, but people don't seem able to resist. Personally, if I wanted to retain the stamp-edging, I'd keep those stamps on a separate, blank page.
Valued Member
United States
460 Posts
Posted 11/15/2020   2:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Geoff. The printing of the album (spaces for the stamps, or spacing of spaces) already dictates a certain appearance. To me, it all comes down to: Can I live with the asymmetry? I am so...um...retentive that I cannot generally live with the asymmetry. I set aside the 'offending' stamp and look for another to fill the spot. On earlier issues (where the 'offending' selvage/margin can add significantly to the value), I also mount them on a separate blank page.

FWIW, if the mounts are open at the top, you COULD still mount the stamp+selvage in the mount and let it hang out the top. With clear-back mounts, there is no color to 'frame' the stamp anyway. Be careful when you turn the pages, though. Would **I** do that? No, but please refer to the 'retentive' statement, above.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
503 Posts
Posted 11/15/2020   3:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't look for stamps with selvage, but if I do happen to get one, I do a combination of what has been stated above. If modern and of no consequence, I remove the extra material. If the selvage is worth keeping, given that I use hingeless albums with open top mounts, I'm not quite so, um, retentive, so . . . If the selvage is kept and is on the side or top, I just let it hang out. If on the bottom, I'll put the stamp in upside down and just take the stamp out if I want to examine it. If it really bothers me, in the meantime I look for a stamp without selvage to mount and either keep the stamp with selvage elsewhere or dispose of it if I have no particular interest in it.
Valued Member
United States
15 Posts
Posted 11/15/2020   3:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add baker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Regarding selvage: there's a lot of discussion on that, i.e.: https://www.stampcommunity.org/topi...PIC_ID=18122, but it seems to be nearly the consensus to leave the selvage on. Folding it over gum on gum seems like a bad idea to me. It could get stuck, then what? It does sort of mess up the look of the album though. I'd also be a bit worried about damaging the stamp while tearing off the selvage. I don't know if there is added value to it. To me, a plate single, or other marks would seem worth keeping. For a blank piece, it is more rare, and maybe the older the stamp, the more important. For me, it may depend on the situation. But I think many people will vote to leave it as is.
Pillar Of The Community
842 Posts
Posted 11/18/2020   10:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"What do you do with stamps that have selvage?"

I generally remove selvage before mounting a stamp. I've noticed that there's often a lot of selvage attached to stamps in albums I buy from Europe, so maybe it's a "thing" there. Personally, however, I am not a selvage collector but a stamp collector. So I remove it. If it has a plate number of some other unique information, I'd most likely leave the selvage attached to the stamp, but I'd be reluctant to mount that stamp in its normal space. It would look odd and out of place. Those (few) stamps get mounted on a blank page.

I just find selvage silly. It gets into the stream of modern stamps sold to collectors largely, I imagine, because sellers buy stamps in sheets, then don't want to spend all the time removing all the border paper from stamps. So they send them off with selvage attached, assuming I suppose that the collector can remove it. I've found this done very commonly by stamp issuing agencies around the world. Removing selvage is time consuming for them, so they leave it to the collectors. And then what do we do? We leave it attached to the stamp. To me, it's like leaving a label or a price tag attached to a new article of clothing. In other words, it's weird.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5034 Posts
Posted 11/18/2020   10:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I see no benefit to leaving selvedge on modern material and frankly Ed from Century Stamps removes selvedge on a lot of stamps that are far from modern and pretty darn pricey. Sometimes it makes me cringe. I was speaking with him last year and asked him about a Scott 293 plate number single, the $2 Trans-Mississippi, in his catalog. He told me that he had just sold it to a "guy" that wanted the plate number containing selvedge removed by Ed because the stamp would not fit properly in his hingeless album. Absolute true story. Ed asked him to do it himself but the "guy" did not want to risk damaging the stamp himself.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1433 Posts
Posted 11/20/2020   10:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If I have stamps with selvedge, I generally keep the selvedge.

I do wonder why someone would use a hingeless album for modern material, as in stamps from post 1950 or so, especially US.
Edited by Climber Steve - 11/20/2020 10:59 am
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
Posted 11/20/2020   12:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add knick1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I do wonder why someone would use a hingeless album for modern material, as in stamps from post 1950 or so, especially US

For me it was pretty simple. I wanted to keep a US stamp collection up thru 2000 (since revised twice) and, when possible, keep them MNH, which means mounts. I started to think I wanted to become a mount expert (I did order supplies!) but realized I would spend the next 2-3 years cutting mounts and filling my 1950-on album with the stamps I had. That's now all done (with the stamps I have). The albums were mildly costly, but the other benefit is that my US albums all match.

That said, I did order Vol 4 not so long ago (making sure my numbers are right) ... yes, thru 1994. I have one more album on my list that would get me to 1999 (for a mere $170, said sarcastically). Having filled to 1992 (that's where my holdings currently end), going to 2000, then 1999 was just a vague decision. I see little value in holding the newer stuff. So I made the decision (although still mentally debating) to STOP where I am and go thru 1994. That's good enough, I think.

But yeah, I'm glad I paid the extra cash to not have to deal with all of those mounts myself. I'm onto other things now, although these albums still have some work needed. And I have to revise my want list now. Right now I'm back in WW at least for a short while.

So I will retort and ask: If you're going to collect US stamps past 1950 (in MNH), why would you do anything but a hingeless album?

I'm happy with my choice.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5181 Posts
Posted 11/20/2020   1:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The question is, I suppose, why, given that most modern stamps have value chiefly as discount postage, you wouldn't hinge them.
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
Posted 11/20/2020   1:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add knick1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And since I segwayed into WW a bit (ok, ok, I mentioned it at the end of my last post) ... I did read some of the threads about recent auctions and the high prices paid. One was something like "WW collecting is dead" and then argued that by auction results it certainly is not.

Well, you don't have to go to the Big Auctions to see this. I've been following the early WW material being listed by a certain seller who is "here" somewhere. In the first volley (seems to be weekly, and I missed at least 1 week) I thought I placed some aggressive snipes. I scored on a lowly, depressing few. I was roughing out actual catalog values (albeit slightly dated, but they haven't failed me until now) and bidding percentages. While I was often the immediate underbidder, I was just that way too often.

The last 2 volleys I was even more aggressive. I mean, a huge percentage of CV if I wanted something. And I was more successful, but often pushed close to my limit. And lost more than I wanted. The most recent one I had to dial back a little (had won a relatively expensive album lot hours before). I still had 8 lots in my sights, of which only 2 went my way.

One of the lots I thought I had nailed went for well over my CV. I checked against later catalogs and ok, some prices appreciated but not that much.

I think there are too many folks competing. The seller seems to have a following and is doing the right thing selling this stuff in small groups (country/section lots). I know I paid more than I thought I would have to for the few lots I did win. I complained about sellers doing such small lots way above. It's working here! (for the seller). I think I will back way off and look for more well-filled albums. It costs more up-front but over time I'm paying anyway!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
503 Posts
Posted 11/20/2020   1:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure why folks care why others use hingeless albums for more modern stamps. Selvage aside, I prefer the look of hingeless if I decide to collect modern and I find using hinges to be a real pain. If I decide to pay more for the album than the stamps, well - no big deal, it's only money. Collect whatever way you wish, I don't mind.
Edited by Oracle of Delphi - 11/20/2020 1:20 pm
Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 77 / Views: 3,868Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05