Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Time For Another Fun Episode Of "Why The ?#%&@ Did You Buy This???"

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 81 / Views: 4,351Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2439 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   5:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
3. There's a small sunk die proof of a Kaiser's Yacht (German Offices).

Can you post a photo of this one?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1502 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   5:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations, revenuecollector. You rolled the dice and it paid off.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7312 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   5:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You were fortunate that you could recognize the Belgian sheets. If I could have actually seen them I would have recognized them as well. So it was souvenir sheets after all, a nice pickup.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5083 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   6:43 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am not seeing the score. I come across this type of stuff all of the time in large lots and it is in large lots because of the condition. No offense but the condition is rough. All the more power to you though if you can get 10% of catalog.

That's the wonderful thing about our hobby. We can all perceive value (or the lack thereof) in different ways.

In my 22 years of buying and selling on eBay, I've been astounded at what will sell and at what prices. Anything, no matter how damaged, will sell at the right price, especially if it is candidly described and has high quality images. Admittedly, for common dross, the percentage of catalogue value has to be pretty low... but the more scarce or higher-catalogue-value an item is, the higher percentage an item with faults can garner.

There's a subset of collectors whose focus is on filling spots in their collection at a bargain price that are willing to accept faults that you or I might not in our personal collections... and there are a LOT of those collectors out there.

These Luxembourg sheetlets are scarce. They'll find homes.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31277 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with the above.
As a collector of Belgium (3 Albums) there is material there that would certainly enhance my albums.

and.....

Quote:
2. While the world cut squares are visually interesting, there's almost no market for those.

That's what I buy, when I can find stock.

So there you go, there is a buyer, for just about everything.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7312 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   8:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would love to know the story of the Egyptian mourning cover. Farouk???
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5083 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   11:07 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Since a number of people have asked about certain items, I went back through and pulled some items to scan. In the process of doing so I discovered a few things:

1. The Jamaica blocks I mentioned having seen don't catalog much, maybe about $40 in total.

2. I discovered a used set of Iceland Scott # 108-128, which catalogs $225, which was a nice find.

3. The vast majority of the Korea 1st day souvenir pages had stamps and souvenir sheets that didn't catalog much, $3-5 each as used stamps. The one exception was the stamp below which appears to be a semi-key from that era, the stamp cataloging $45 mint and $16 used.

Items are numbered for ease of reference.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7312 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   11:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice censored mourning cover. If you decide to do something with it, let me know.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31277 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   11:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Canada Mail Strike Cover
Catalogue cc5160
Type 2 1981 Blue $1 (Ship)

Stamps on cover $12 each

Note: Probably produced by name on front of cover.

Ditto
Type 1 Orange airplane 50c

Bib: Field Guide (LaFreniere) 1st Ed

#14 and #15 Canadian Strike mail 1997
Juan de Fuca etc
Unlisted in 1st Edition Field Guide (Bird Bear Press)
Edited by rod222 - 11/24/2020 11:41 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2439 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   11:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
revenuecollector,

Thanks for putting in the effort to humor my request.

WRT the German Colonies yacht die proof, I'm afraid what you have is a modern creation. If you're interested in reading more, I've compiled a couple articles re: these "die proofs" from Vorläufer, the journal of the German Colonies Collectors Croup, into a single PDF -- here.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31277 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   12:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
May we have a close up of the cinderella on #9 please?
or text on the label would suffice.
Thanks.
Canada $1
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2439 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   12:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

I believe it says "This stamp guarantees postage paid delivery into U.S. Postal System / Canphil Services of Vancouver B.C.".
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31277 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   12:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Postmaster, sometimes you defy gravity.
Amazing.

OK..Field Guide Catalogue cc5210
1978-1981
Delivered mail into the US postal system
deigned Leroy
Printed New West Press Co

Lower left corner left blank, to accomodate US postage stamp

Set of 3 $15 red Green Purple
Stamp shown (red) Lion's gate Bridge

Edited by rod222 - 11/25/2020 12:47 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5114 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   06:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry Folks , I am not buying this thread .

As DON said ,"I am sure that APFELBAUM highly appreciates this thread "

My experience with the firm started in 1968 ,as the only teenager member of the stamp club in Chicago ,the group told me to : STAY AWAY FROM THAT FIRM .

I can not say anything about the original poster ,who I don't know but I can say a lot about these bulk lots and end-of-auction mixture lots . What is describted above is a 1 in a 1,000 chance find .I sat thru and examined 200 or more lots per year at all the major firms for 40 years and that is a heck of a lot .

I just ain't buying this from a firm with a piss-poor repution in the stamp business .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5114 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   07:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just so you don't think this is the first rodeo for APFELBAUM on a stamp chat room .We had a guy who came on the old eBay STAMP CHAT BOARD around 2004 or 2005 and he made a identical claim . He found some high price Australian 2 pound ROO'S in a Apfelbaum mixture lot that they overlooked .....yea right .
Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 81 / Views: 4,351Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05