Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Would Like To Find The Daughter Of This USA WW2 Soldier

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,368Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1541 Posts
Posted 01/08/2021   6:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is no correspondence here, only an empty cover (correct, Robert?) that went through the mail for who knows how many eyes to see. The information in the obituary notice would almost certainly have come from the daughter, and its detail and its tone tell us that father and daughter were not estranged. Perhaps the daughter would think it creepy to be sought out on the Internet, but otherwise I see no issue with contacting her and asking if she would be interested in having this piece of family history.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Rest in Peace
7742 Posts
Posted 01/08/2021   6:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I see no issue with contacting her and asking if she would be interested in having this piece of family history.

Exactly dudley...Put yourself in here shoes..Loved her father and obviously missed him.

Strange or not, if I contact her and ask if she would like me to send her a part of her family history.

Think about that..PROBABLY any one here would be happy to gain a piece family history.

Just saying..Am I correct..???
Robert
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7720 Posts
Posted 01/08/2021   6:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For you to consider, personally I would hate to see someone do this to me.
Unless you have reason to believe she is actively looking for info I would reconsider if I were you!

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7110 Posts
Posted 01/08/2021   7:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are tons of personal correspondence in the philatelic marketplace that are traded constantly. Who is the arbiter of when something "provides valuable insight into the times or thinking of the individual" and when something should not be in the public domain? If you can find her then ask her if she is interested. Some of the handwringing on here is incredible. If the letter was related to the MLK family or Johns Hopkins or Honest Abe there would be no qualms about reading it and sharing it and valuing it.
Rest in Peace
7742 Posts
Posted 01/08/2021   7:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Getting negative ideas trying to she if she wants a part of her Dad's history.

People here believe I should just leave it alone and put it back in my box...Understood guys...Thats what I will do..Thanks.

Robert
Valued Member
United States
97 Posts
Posted 01/08/2021   8:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Revenue N Covers to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert, you might kindly approach her and say you found the cover you have and that it is hers if she would like it. If she does not want it it is easy enough to excuse yourself and apologize for intruding. That way at least she gets the opportunity to decide. I have done this kind of thing several times and had one no reply and everyone else has been overjoyed to recover some family history (as have I when I've managed to track things down). My 2c but figure the answer to the unasked question is always no. Andy
Valued Member
Learn More...
52 Posts
Posted 03/06/2021   11:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pickastory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

A very sensitive subject on so many levels as stated by Don and others.
Having restored items to previous family members over the years I would work thru the thousands of orgs that are formed around all the echelons of commands down to the basic service members.
I even have returned Boy Scout Eagle Awards with the merit badges.
My uncle was a Major pilot Army Air Corps and I was able to share the items and info with his former buddies, as his best friend received his bomber jacket on his passing.
Never had a negative situation as the person is looking for information already and is sometimes overwhelmed by the item as a 'touchstone' with the only keepsake they my have from the family member.
I would encourage collectors to post on the bulletin boards with images to share and sometimes someone knows someone who knows...
I do get a bit of rush when a connection is made and a story is revealed.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
809 Posts
Posted 03/11/2021   4:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the other side of the issue. The daughter/granddaughter can be seen on the internet asking for information about CBM John Goggins, hero. The requests were wanting to know anything about him or his actions in October of the year the package was sent.

The family recently decided to sell this parcel wrapper to a dealer aware it was going to a home that would understand, value it and perhaps spread the word about it. It was not sold cheaply and I speak not about just money.

So lets fast forward to a couple of years from now when this item may strike the market again. I am not sure at that time recontacting the family about this loved item which brings them great sadness would be welcome. Peace was made and the item let go.

Now, while this item had and has major significance to the family, it is also a very significant item of postal history and WWII due to many individual facets. Facets the family lived if not understood before selling it, before giving it a loving good-bye, while keeping their and our hero in their hearts.

Edited by Parcelpostguy - 03/11/2021 4:33 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1057 Posts
Posted 03/11/2021   5:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an old thread about someone who was actively looking for information about his grandfather.

I was fortunate enough to help him out...

http://goscf.com/t/6041&whichpage=1

Dan
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409
Pillar Of The Community
United States
901 Posts
Posted 03/11/2021   5:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
danstamps54

Great story on that thread. Enjoyed reading it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
809 Posts
Posted 04/07/2021   9:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Above I posted a package mailed to the USS Hoel a Fletcher Class Destroyer. Here is an article about her sister ship the USS Johnston. Both sunk on the same day in the in The Battle of Samar, a battle considered one of the greatest last stands in naval history as well as the most lopsided naval victories when comparing the two battle groups.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news.../7130254002/

The men of these and the other ships of that day are all heroes not just to their families, but to their country and its citizens. It is for their great sacrifice that they all lost their anonymity while being bestowed with the mantel and medals of heroes as well as becomes the honorary sons of all families.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 04/07/2021 9:30 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,368Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05