Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Albums Revisited.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 3,826Next Topic  
Valued Member

USA
137 Posts
Posted 03/15/2008   11:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Charles to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am still trying to pick an album for my world-wide collection. I prefer the ready-made ones rather than making my own from CD's etc. - I spend enough time on the computer the way it is. Plus, I just like filling spaces in albums.

My leading candidates are the Scotts International and the 4 volume Olympian.

I inherited vols. 1 and 2 of the Scotts International (up to 1947) completely unused and in good condition. I would like to continue the series, but that seems like a daunting task, especially for the newer issues.

I've heard that the Olympian is better for newer stamps, but is much less "complete" than the Scott International - which itself is far from complete. Plus, the Olympian seems to be more manageable. I am leaning towards the Olympian.

I prefer collecting individual stamps rather than souvenir sheets or plate blocks, etc., and am not too interested in variations.

Cost is not a major factor in that I am single with no kids and can spend my money how I please.

The most important consideration for me is to do it right the first time as I hope to use my choice for 30-40 years or so.

Comments? Suggestions? I am interested in hearing good or bad experiences with either album series.

Charles

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
USA
2502 Posts
Posted 03/16/2008   01:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modern_who to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Like yourself, I like the ready-made albums and filling spaces. I use Scott Internationals but only up to Part VIII which runs into 1973. If you want to collect into the here and now, that is a lot to work with. Right now, with Scott, you are looking at more than 40 volumes, since beginning with Part IX (1973-1974) each basically covers only a year's worth of issues. (Part 40 A&B covers 2004. Thirty to forty years or so at the current rate, if you wanted to keep up with contemporary issues, would take you out to about 75-85 volumes!)

I have not seen the Olympian albums but have seen the Phoenix from the same publisher and it basically looks like a Canadian version of the Harris Albums. In fact some of the titles in the CWS line mimic Harris titles (they have a Senior album with a green cover that appears to mimic the Harris Senior Statesman, a Deluxe with a blue cover that I would presume mimics the Harris Statesman Deluxe and the Travel which I would presume mimics the Harris Traveler Album since they all seem comparable in size).

I like the Scott presentation because it gives a better display as opposed to fitting the greatest amount of material into the smallest possible space. But with Scott it can get ridiculous with so many partial pages for just a few stamps or some pages with stamps on one side and some on two sides when you go combining them as I did.

The now defunct Minkus Supreme Global Albums did well with both a pleasing presentation and picking up the slack between years. And since the Minkus catalogs listed issues chronologically and did not segregate airs, semi-postals and officials to the back of the book, it really helped clean things up. I've still got some of these around but what I don't like about them is the poor paper quality and the way it tends to noticeably yellow over time.

Scott's paper is of better quality than Minkus' paper was and since Scott has an off-white color to it, might not look like it yellowes as much if it does. Harris' paper seems heavier and more durable than either, and from what I have seen, possibly yellows less over time. The CWS paper in the Phoenix album looks very white, new, and is thicker, as in the Harris albums.

For my own collection, I've kept Part I intact and combined Parts II-VIII. I'm thinking of changing this and breaking it down by regions to spend more time in areas I especially enjoy while ignoring others almost entirely.

If you really want to collect the world up to now and into the future, you might consider the Olympians as more manageable and maybe Scott Specialty albums for any areas you particularly like since they would be even more complete than the Internationals.

Should you decide on going with the Olympians, I might be interested in buying your Scott albums if they are in good condition. A fresh copy of Part I, especially, would be nice.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Larry, APS Member

Modern-Vue Stamps on eBay
Edited by modern_who - 03/16/2008 05:00 am
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9748 Posts
Posted 03/16/2008   08:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Charles the Scott Internationals are good up to a point..but its frustrating when you have a 10 shilling stamp and no space on the page to put it because they do not have room for the higher value stamps...also after 1967 most of the pages in my Scott internationals are filled with trash...the traditional countries are ok but the rest of the world is pumping out to many stamps..if money were no object..Myself..i would go with the Scott "Brown albums" I understand they contain almost all of the stamps issued by a country..again..myself I cut off the worldwide collection at 1969..i dont have any use for the wallpaper from Tanzania, Sierra Leone etc !
APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Valued Member
USA
137 Posts
Posted 03/17/2008   01:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Charles to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Philb, I am not familiar with the brown albums.

More eye-burning online research seems to indicate that the Olympian and Harris albums are produced by the same company. At least the two brands are usually sold together. CWS has hit on a formula - the supplements for all sizes of albums are the same. Probably cuts down on printing costs.

CWS has another series, the 21st Century Album, that seems very close to their Olympian, except the binders are smaller and don't need dust covers. It only has 432 pages through 1980, then 500-700 pages every 3-4 years or so. In 30 years I would only have 17 albums instead of 70-80.

Modern_Who, if I decide to get rid of the Scotts I will tell you first.

Charles.

Pillar Of The Community
USA
2502 Posts
Posted 03/17/2008   01:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modern_who to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Charles, the Scott "Browns" were the original Scott International Albums. They were very comprehensive and came in several volumes up to 1940. The blue Scott International Part I to 1940 was originally known as the Scott International Junior Album since it was abridged. When they stopped making the browns (now referred to as browns because they had brown rather than blue binders) the Scott International Junior Album was renamed the Scott International Album. In fact if you look at the title page of your Part I, it just might say so.

The original pages for the browns have been reproduced by Subway Stamp Shop, www.subwaystamp.com but the site is poor compared to their catalog. You might call and ask for a copy: 1-888-221-9960 or email custserv@subwaystamp.com

I have also seen these pages offered on www.ebay.com/b/Stamps/260/">eBay occasionally. The Subway catalog shows they make them to either fit the blue International binders or the green Specialty binders.
Larry, APS Member

Modern-Vue Stamps on eBay
Edited by modern_who - 03/17/2008 01:55 am
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9748 Posts
Posted 03/17/2008   2:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
i just did a head count on my albums scott internationals 9, USA 1,French Africa 1,Switzerland 1,Austria 1,Germany 1, Netherlands 2,Guatemala 1, Canada 2,year 1992 worldwide 1 ! 20 albums..now if I start counting cover albums probably close to another 20 !!
APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9748 Posts
Posted 03/17/2008   2:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
sorry, I meant the reprints of the brown albums..i am not certain what the cutoff year is on them..if Subway continued after 1940 or not !!
Valued Member
USA
137 Posts
Posted 03/17/2008   7:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Charles to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just checked out Subway - the "6" volumes through 1940 are actually 14 jumbo binders. I think that is a bit much for me at this time. Anyway, those would be the era that would be hardest to collect. The price, though, is an excellent value for what you get. If I get boatloads of older stamps I might invest in them.

It is hard to compare them to my International volumes as the reprints are only one page. But it does seem they are more thorough.

I think I will go for a combination of the two systems. That might be best.

Charles.
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9748 Posts
Posted 03/17/2008   8:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Charles, I enjoy filling in the spaces also !!
Pillar Of The Community
USA
3315 Posts
Posted 03/18/2008   7:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add laswabbie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Philb - I'd have to hire a librarian if I had 40 albums. I have 4 large and 2 small Specialty for my German material, 2 large Specialty for my triangles, etc., and 1 for my US airmails. I won't even think about how many boxes and envelopes I have stuffed here and there!
Valued Member
USA
137 Posts
Posted 03/18/2008   10:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Charles to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've subscribed to the Diane_Earl Stamp Collecting Method...I ordered 10,000 mixed world-wide stamps last week so I will soon need spaces in an album to fill. I don't think they will all fit into my old Traveller album!

Charles.
Edited by Charles - 03/18/2008 10:02 pm
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9748 Posts
Posted 03/18/2008   10:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Greg the albums are controlable...its the bulk that takes up space !
Pillar Of The Community
USA
3315 Posts
Posted 03/18/2008   11:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add laswabbie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I understand that Philb! That's what I say about my fishing lures! It's not what I carry in my boat that's the problem - it's all the boxex I have stuffed full in the garage and attic!
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 3,826Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05