Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

So Who's Afraid Of The Indian States?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 768 / Views: 132,994Next Topic
Page: of 52
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1996 Posts
Posted 04/01/2010   08:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jubilee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sad, very, very sad
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
2663 Posts
Posted 04/01/2010   09:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spock1k to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
unfortunately looks liek I hold a lot of keys if we are going to jump into indian native states and we will need to grease the locks with gold :)
Pillar Of The Community
2663 Posts
Posted 04/01/2010   09:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spock1k to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hey jubilee did you get that 25 r yet? pretty soon we will be inthe off season and then I wont be able to get the older stamsp free or not
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1996 Posts
Posted 04/01/2010   09:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jubilee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 25R still eludes me.....
Pillar Of The Community
USA
1881 Posts
Posted 04/01/2010   10:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nr-notrare to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Tony.....

Great stamps and information.....please post more if you can.

Pillar Of The Community
2663 Posts
Posted 04/01/2010   10:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spock1k to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hey Tony when you wake up tomorrow load jubilee up will you so we can celebrate with the nabha. dont worry I also have my eyes on kgv I never liked him till nabha showed up.
Valued Member
Canada
378 Posts
Posted 04/01/2010   10:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tony Vella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

My small Alwar collection. I have had them so long - certainly before eBay - I don't even remember where they originally came from. Are these considered uglies?
Valued Member
Canada
378 Posts
Posted 04/01/2010   10:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tony Vella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

And my Wadhwan 1888 perf. 12.
Pillar Of The Community
2663 Posts
Posted 04/01/2010   11:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spock1k to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ooo coat of arms very nice very nice me in love

rememeber if any of you want to sell ur mint stuff I am here :)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2757 Posts
Posted 04/01/2010   4:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add warrehouse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not afraid. I have numerious Indian States, but not all of them.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 04/01/2010   6:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

My small Alwar collection. I have had them so long - certainly before eBay - I don't even remember where they originally came from. Are these considered uglies?

You tell me, Tony Some stick-in-the-mud die-hard 'mainstream' collectors might call them ugly. I think they're a rather pleasing design: dignified and not too fussy, as many late Victorian era stamps are.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 04/01/2010   6:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And my Wadhwan 1888 perf. 12.

Nice: looks like a Stone II. Is the paper mesh vertical or horizontal? And is the paper thick or thin?
Valued Member
Canada
378 Posts
Posted 04/01/2010   7:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tony Vella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@tonymacg
The paper is definitely thin and under my 30x the mesh appears to be vertical.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 04/01/2010   7:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That confirms it as Stone II, then, Tony - SG 2. (I think Gibbons' value of 55 for it is a touch on the generous side, but still a very nice item to have.)
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 04/01/2010   8:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK, after a small diversion (my cat decided that, since she couldn't give me an Easter egg, she'd present me with the next best thing: a hardly chewed pigeon in my living-room), on to Bhopal. Bhopal is one of the biggies, and a classic Ugly.

It was large state in Central India; Bhopal town is the capital of the modern State of Madhya Pradesh. The rulers were Muslim, although the population was predominantly Hindu: this is why the ruler's likeness never appeared on a Bhopal stamp. During its philatelic heyday, 1872 to 1908, the state was ruled by two women in succession, Nawab Shah Jahan Begum (1868-1901) and Nawab Sultan Jahan Begum (1901-1926). The former was apparently a pretty formidable character, and a great friend of Queen Victoria, whom she used to meet in strict purdah, away from the male Indian rulers.

There were two basic types of the early Bhopal stamps, and both drive novices to distraction. They were lithographed in sheets of various sizes, with each stamp on the sheet being drawn in by hand. With the stones being cleaned off after each printing, and plenty of printings being made, you can see that the scope for confusion is pretty wide. I'm not sure how well it will come up, but here is a sheet of SG 2 by way of example

All the stamps of this type had the central octagon filled with an octagonal embossed seal of the ruler. (These stamps were reprinted later: the reprints, and imitations, have a circular embossing, which immediately marks them out.)

Bhopal used a second, smaller type at the same time. Again, the stones were cleaned off after each printing, leading to a number of different types. The hand drawing onto the stone also led to the occasional spelling error in the English inscription:

SG 14a - The correct inscription is HH NAWAB SHAH JAHAN BEGAM, but the artist slipped in an extra A, giving 'HH ANAWAB ...'

At first glance at Gibbons, you may be tempted to throw up your hands, and decide life's too short. But bear with them. Each printing has its particular family resemblances: an inverted 'W' for 'M' in the English inscription, reversed 'N's or the presence or absence of Persian letters in the central inscription. With a little practice, you'll find it's really quite easy to assign a stamp to its correct printing.
Page: of 52 Previous TopicReplies: 768 / Views: 132,994Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05