Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Best Scanner To Use For Plating

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 307Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...

United States
203 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   10:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add widglo46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Several people have commented that one really needs to scan at 4800dpi if you are going to try to plate stamps from digital images. I tend to rely on my microscope for plating, but I can't conveniently take photos through the microscope, and digital images are really a must for documenting and annotating my plating decisions. I currently use a Canon LIDE 220, and I scan at 2400dpi.

I am wondering if it is worth upgrading to a higher resolution photo scanner. Epson has several models that even tout 6400dpi optical resolution. I've looked at the ads for both these and other high-resolution photo scanners, but I'm unsure of how useful some of their features are for scanning stamps. For example, can film holders somehow be adapted to scan stamps?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3696 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   11:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have the same Canon LiDE 220 and scan at 4800 dpi. I really don't see any difference when I do this.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
9256 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   11:25 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Epson PerfectionŽ V600 Photo (6400 dpi optical resolution)- I have purchased and used a LOT of scanners over the years and I have several of these at home. One of them is over a decade old, has over 750,000 scans on it, and is still producing good scans.
Don
Valued Member
Canada
224 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   11:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My new Epson Workforce Pro WF-4830 goes up to 9600 dpi. The results do NOT blow my socks off, so I usually keep it much lower.

This has started out as a 9600 before dragging to this location...
my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Edited by Casey Magoo - 04/04/2021 11:44 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6236 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   11:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also use the Canon Lide 220 and love it. I scan stamps at 1200 dpi which is more than enough for plating.
Learn More...
9256 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   12:09 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Casey,
The optical resolution of your scanner is 1200 dpi. Scanner manufacturer tout the scanner 'maximum resolution' but note that 'maximum resolution' is not the same as 'optical resolution'. 'Maximum resolution' is a software trick (basically using software to resize the scan), the 'optical resolution' is the highest hardware resolution the scanner can do without resorting to software resizing. When comparing scanners, it is best to stick to optical resolution.

The Epson PerfectionŽ V600 Photo has a 6400 dpi optical resolution but its 'maximum resolution' is 12,800 dpi.
Don
Valued Member
29 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   12:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jbodo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also use the Epson V600, now with the Silverfast software package (on my Mac). The change in results with Silverfast scanning software is such an improvement, I will soon be redoing all my stamp plating with it. Hoping to relaunch all of it by this Fall.
Valued Member
29 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   12:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jbodo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I concur with 1200 dpi. I have done all the larger dpi up to 9600, with no discernible improvement. Other image tweaking in photoshop and other adjustments makes a much greater improvement than increasing dpi.
Valued Member
Canada
224 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   12:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Don. That reminds me of how cameras have a lens zoom, and digital zoom. Computer trickery.
my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1832 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   2:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've owned Canon and Epson scanners over the years, and currently use an Epson V600. In my experience, Epson scanners are far superior for acquiring sharp images of stamps.

I use my scanner to plate almost every stamp I work with, and considering the image quality I get from Epson, 1200 DPI is sufficient for plating.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
203 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   2:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to everyone for your input and advice.

I've not been overly impressed with the difference between 1200dpi, 2400dpi or 4800dpi on the Canon Lide 220 either, but I know that image quality has a do with factors other than the optical resolution quoted in the specs of the scanner. I have also seen what I believe to be scanner artifacts introduced at the higher resolutions, and it's led me to question the real capabilities of the scanner. I let the scanner software convert the image data to a "high quality" jpg file, and I do not use the 48/16 bit color option. Both of these choices may be a mistake, but it's a compromise for convenience and to reduce scanning time.

The Epson Perfection is touted as producing very accurate scans. The 600 model is moderately priced, and I may switch to it. I'll add the Silverfast software too, if the price isn't ridiculous.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31929 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   2:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The change in results with Silverfast scanning software is such an improvement,

Interesting, nice to hear a positive.
when researching scanners, Silverfast had many non positive issues.
(May have been Microsoft Windows issues)
Learn More...
9256 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   2:37 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I recommend VueScan Professional, 'try before you buy' here https://www.hamrick.com/

- supports saving calibration with 3rd party targets
- support saving scanning configurations
- has its own scanner drivers which produce different results than the app using the scan manufacturer driver
- supports one click scans (real time saver when doing multiple scans)
- supports custom file naming patterns (another great time saver)
- supports all the silly post image processing 'features' which many folks seem to like to use to over-saturate and 'enhance' their images

Don
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 307Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05