Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Does Anyone Know What SCF Stands For In The Usage Case?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 590Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3563 Posts
Posted 09/04/2021   4:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jhlovell to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have an envelope (see pic) an it has a sticky on it stating SCF Usage and I don't know what that means. Can anyone help? Thanks as always, Jeff

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
3824 Posts
Posted 09/04/2021   4:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is good to show the entire mail piece when asking about a postal history item (thank you!), but I don't see any sticker, etc. Please show an additional close-up image of what you are asking about. The original post is not clear at all in this regard.

That said, "SCF" is often an abbreviation for Sectional Center Facility. From the "Glossary of Postal Terms" USPS Publication 32, April 1988 edition:

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by John Becker - 09/04/2021 4:33 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3563 Posts
Posted 09/04/2021   4:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jhlovell to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thank you John - Jeff
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7661 Posts
Posted 09/04/2021   5:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, it looks like we are not going to see the sticker on the cover?????

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3733 Posts
Posted 09/04/2021   7:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think by sticky, they meant sticky-note. It could have been added by anyone ... previous owner?
Pillar Of The Community
3824 Posts
Posted 09/04/2021   11:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
jhlovell,
Umm, please provide some clarification for us. WHAT are you talking about? Show us whatever you are calling a "sticky". Otherwise this is pretty much a dead thread.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5284 Posts
Posted 09/05/2021   09:07 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
jhlovell, did you post the wrong image? There is nothing in that picture showing SCF anything.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
576 Posts
Posted 09/05/2021   11:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eligies to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It may be that there was a sticker on the envelope, as John alluded too, the was either round or square that was placed on a bundle of mail at the processing center with 'SCF' on it. This determined that this bundle contained all pieces for the SCF noted by the 1st 3-numers of the Zip-Code (021-Boston, 031-Manchester NH)) & was to be further sorted in the processing center of origin (or subsequent) at a pouch sort area.
Pillar Of The Community
3824 Posts
Posted 09/05/2021   11:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
eligies, Yes, that was the direction I was going to go if it was a postal-applied routing sticker, but alas our OP has disappeared. I had considerable supplemental material to scan/post. Or does it have a cancel from a SCF? Until more imaging shows up, it is a waste of time to guess.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
576 Posts
Posted 09/06/2021   3:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eligies to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Local mailers also used these small labels for pre-sorted rate mails received in the bulk mail room. They needed to do a specific sort for specific rate reductions to avoid several sorting stations within the processing facility. Example these type bundles would be routed directly to a pouch sort operation. These would be remnant bundles of a larger mailing of which a certain minimal number of pieces would still be eligible for a discount as they were part of a larger sorted mailing. In my early days with the USPS I worked in the pouch sort 'bull pen'. These bundles would come up from the bulk room after verification. The larger portion of the mailing would arrived trayed & on 'nutting' trucks from the mailer. These larger portions of the mailings (usually in the thousands of pieces) would be verified & transferred from the bulk - weighing room to the outgoing trailers (without leaving the platform) for transport to overnight destinations over the road or containerized for a trip to Logan Airport Mail Facility for airlift to 1-2 day delivery locations. (Each nutting held 33 trays of letter size mail, with approximately 900-1100 pieces per tray. Most was advertising mails going National & there would be 10-20 nutting trucks from one bulk mailer. Some mailers prepared trailers of mail which required USPS to house bulk-mail clerks to go to that specific mailer to verify then send the trailer to the processing center for platform transfer).
Pillar Of The Community
3824 Posts
Posted 09/06/2021   10:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
elegies,
The OP's cover is a piece of first class mail. The bulk and presort bundling by the mailer scenario you provide does not directly apply.
IF the OP could eventually show us an "SCF" sticker on a mailpiece, I believe it would represent a "top of the bundle" label applied during postal processing.
Oh where, oh where has our OP gone missing?
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 590Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05