Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay Sellers Allowed To Sell Obvious Fakes

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 42 / Views: 2,263Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
44 Posts
Posted 02/28/2022   7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rumb to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Seller Egnatia Shop has listed dozens of obvious fakes. I've seen other seller also like this. I reported to eBay and apparently they dont care anymore.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
668 Posts
Posted 02/28/2022   8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1) Can you prove to eBay that they're fake?
2) eBay responds to trademark and copyright holders and others who suffer economic loss from the sale of fakes. Do you suffer an economic loss from the sale of these fakes?
3) For all eBay knows or cares, you're just a crank who doesn't know what you're talking about. Can you prove that you do know what you're talking about?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35484 Posts
Posted 02/28/2022   10:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Edited by rod222 - 02/28/2022 10:03 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8295 Posts
Posted 02/28/2022   10:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Multiple loud trumpets of "run away from this seller" going on here.

1) Multiple negative feedback comments about FAKE overprints and stamps
2) No certificates
3) No scans of the backs
4) No catalog numbers referenced
5) A focus on overprints and "essays"
6) 99 cent starting bids

This is a prime example of eBay not giving a *%$#.

Love the large amount of Darrah overprints. Unluckily for this seller Siegel happens to have a beautifully illustrated and researched auction coming up full of Darrah overprints. Unluckily only if any of the nimrods bidding on this stuff knows what Siegel is and does some due diligence. Or even reads the feedback.

Here are some feedback selections:

Quote:
Attention, all bpp test stamps are fake. I handed the bpp inspection stamps over to the stamp inspector Schlegel for inspection. His verdict. imitation, fake, not real! Achtung, alle BPP-Prüfstempel sind gefälscht. Ich habe die Prüfstempel BPP dem Briefmarken Prüfer Schlegel zur Prüfung übergeben. Sein Urteil. nachgemacht, gefälscht, nicht echt !

Quote:
Utterly fraudulent 'stamp'. The Malacca stamp wasn't issued until 1949, yet this had a 1943 seal. Seller pleaded innocence but refunded promptly. Sadly he is still listing other fake stamps...

You get the drift.
Edited by rogdcam - 02/28/2022 10:38 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1166 Posts
Posted 02/28/2022   11:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sadly I buy such fakes (or facsimiles) when they are within one of my areas to have them as a reference when the fake is dangerous for proper identification. Thus I am willingly and knowing spending my money in a manner I am not suffering economic loss.

FWTW, the copyright, if any, is often long expired.

Edit: While I saw the negative and neutral feed back, what is so troubling is the large amount of positive feed back often coming in large groups from one buyer with many such buyers. It does not look like there is shilling going on, plus the sold prices are often a mere tiny fraction of catalog for a genuine item. Thus it appears many still buyers buy at prices which indicate the buyers know what they are buying. Of course there can just be multiple clueless bidders each competing for a steal of a price compared to catalog, and are happy to not ask questions when the material arrives.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 02/28/2022 11:46 pm
Valued Member
United States
44 Posts
Posted 03/01/2022   2:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rumb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well I guess in order to prove I have to buy and item and pay to get a cert. That's not happening.

I dont mind them selling fakes, I just want them to say so in the listing.

All those poor smucks paying $40 for a fake though......
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1166 Posts
Posted 03/01/2022   2:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
All those poor smucks paying $40 for a fake though......

I agree but note that even fakes and forgeries have a market value for some folks, perhaps not us, but some folks.

Remember much of the "Old Masters" art work hung in homes are reproductions which is an art world term for "fake" or "forgery" that has become accepted. Of course my 'Dogs Playing Poker' is an original, right?
Learn More...
United States
10538 Posts
Posted 03/01/2022   2:53 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion supporting these sellers means they will keep listing.
Don
Valued Member
United States
367 Posts
Posted 03/01/2022   3:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agree Don. But.....
"No one has ever lost a buck underestimating the intelligence of the American consumer."
I believe attributed to P.T. Barnum
Cheers mark
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2030 Posts
Posted 03/01/2022   3:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
when they are within one of my areas to have them as a reference when the fake is dangerous for proper identification

On this point I agree with Parcelpostguy 100%.

Otherwise, give these sellers no oxygen.

Their product will never be held in the same regard as Sperati, let alone Spiro, Fournier, Oneglia, Panelli etc.
Learn More...
United States
10538 Posts
Posted 03/01/2022   3:26 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is an estimated 60 million stamp collector in the world today. So if only 1/10th of 1% of them collect forgeries, then market for this guy is around 60,000 buyers.

Or to make the point another way, how many sales would it take to make it worthwhile to print some of these fakes up?
Don
Valued Member
458 Posts
Posted 03/01/2022   3:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I did my small part and reported the seller. He will get shut down eventually, then surface under a new name.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8295 Posts
Posted 03/01/2022   4:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just tallied his per day sales from his sold listings and this POS is raking in over $1,000 daily. This is not small-time fraud. Come on eBay. LE needs to get more involved with this stuff and eBay needs to take a good hit for facilitating it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
673 Posts
Posted 03/01/2022   4:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
eBay does not care about stamps, but they will take care of folks buying trading cards:

https://pages.ebay.com/authenticity...radingcards/
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8295 Posts
Posted 03/01/2022   4:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Alub - Don't get me wrong. This is a great thing. The rub is that a card listing must be listed at or sell for more than $500 which does nothing to stem any of the types of fraud in this topic. Still, it would be a welcome development in the stamp categories. Have to start somewhere. I really like that the cert is done separate of the buyer and seller thus eliminating the cert fraud that sellers like Philip Ryle engage in.
Valued Member
United States
446 Posts
Posted 03/01/2022   8:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cephus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There's already been some discussion on eBay requiring that for all collectibles above a certain threshold. There was a pretty good discussion over on the Conversations with Philatelists podcast on this not too long ago where they talked about the potential impact of all stamp transactions above a certain amount being required to be authenticated.

iAm3YAn4Huc
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 42 / Views: 2,263Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05