Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Germany: Cancellation Premium.

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 24
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28412 Posts
Posted 05/09/2010   06:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rod222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Would someone kindly explain what is meant
by a "cancellation premium" stamp.
Thanks in advance.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 05/09/2010   12:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Does it mean that if I put my thumb print on it it will cost me big time?

Nice stamp! I have never run into the cancel premium type before now.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2857 Posts
Posted 05/09/2010   1:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The stamp was priced at 3pf + 2pf. The 2pf premium was for a special philatelic cancellation.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28412 Posts
Posted 05/09/2010   8:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
for a special philatelic cancellation

Thank you Nigel,
Can anyone expand on that please?
I am still discombobulated.

Valued Member
United States
333 Posts
Posted 05/10/2010   03:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lucky to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've always called these type of stamps Semi-Postal. A semi-postal stamp is a postage stamp issued to raise money for some purpose (such as a charitable cause) and thus sold over and above the cost of postage. Typically the stamp shows two denominations separated by a plus sign, but in many cases the only denomination shown is for the postage rate, and the postal customer simply pays the higher price when purchasing the stamps.

Semi-postals became widespread in European countries at the beginning of the 20th century. Many countries issued semi-postal stamps to raise money for the Red Cross in World War I.

I use the Scott books for reference and have found that most Countries have a separate section (usually before aereo listings) that is for the semi-postals and most times you will find the used value is usually equal to MNH and a lot of times worth more used.

Hope this helps

Lucky

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28412 Posts
Posted 05/10/2010   04:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
G'day Lucky,
yes, I understood it to be a semi-postal
I was hoping to learn about the "charitable cause"
or special philatelic cancel the 2 pfennig was ascribed to.

Thanks for your time and explanation which will assist
others I am sure.

Result from another source:

Well, this stamp, should primarily be used for special(comemmorative)
postmarks. The stamp was affixed on a sheet/piece of paper and then
cancelled by the postmark wanted. The 3 Pfennig was the minnimum fee,
charged by the post for that service. You will find lots of this stamp with comemmorative postmarks. It could bee used as normal postage too.
Edited by rod222 - 05/10/2010 05:37 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28412 Posts
Posted 10/04/2016   02:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Seeking in-depth information on this Postmark please.

Sept 1937 Fasces and Swastika. Mussolini-Hitler.

Edited by rod222 - 10/04/2016 02:21 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1396 Posts
Posted 10/04/2016   07:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In 1937 Hitler invited Mussolini to a State Meeting (Staatstreffen) in Germany. This cancellation commemorates the visit, which took place from 25th to 29th September 1937 (from Munich to Berlin).
A run-down of the 5 days can be found here:

https://germanwarmachine.com/timeli...ptember-1937
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28412 Posts
Posted 10/04/2016   09:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you 22c, very interesting read.
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2130 Posts
Posted 10/04/2016   09:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

That cancel is Bochmann Berlin S 243.

As 22crows stated, it was to commemorate Mussolini's state visit. The text translates as "State Meeting Mussolini - Hitler". Bochmann refers to the center of the design as a swastika over a "lictor bundle", which I believe is more commonly known in English as a fasces.

Bochmann also notes that the "a" and "b" cancels can be found with Fraktur font instead of the normal Antigua, but yours is a "q".
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2130 Posts
Posted 10/04/2016   09:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And since I never chimed in on the original topic within this thread, the postmark collector's stamp was specially designed for those collecting commemorative cancels. The color and design were chosen to be unobtrusive and not interfere with a clear cancel.

The value was 3+2 Pf, with the 3 Pf covering the normal cost of postage, and the 2 Pf covering the fee for the special cancellation service. Realistically, many (probably most) post offices would provide a commemorative cancel for free upon request, and I suspect this is why this idea never really took off. You really don't see a lot of covers with these stamps and commemorative cancels flooding the collecting market, which one would expect if collectors at the time had really cared to use them.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28412 Posts
Posted 10/04/2016   4:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much Postmaster GS.
You have my German Album Pages so much more interesting.

Yes, I have always had an interest of "Fasces" on stamps, quite ubiquitous.
(And Fasces is the root of Facism)

All my examples of this Postmark are the "q"

Once again thanks for sharing your marvelous knowledge, which I shall call on again today with another Postmark and other Pot Pourri.

Curiosity:
This is quite a large Postmark, one would think that if it were applied by a hand hammer, the ink would show shades of ink, according to the angle of the strike of the postmark hammer.
This is not the case, and I would surmise, these were applied by some sort of machine, due to the accuracy of the applied hammer.

Any thoughts?

Edited by rod222 - 10/04/2016 4:36 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28412 Posts
Posted 10/04/2016   4:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Any Information available?

Slogan Postmark 1937 Nurnberg "Christkindl"
(Sprite like gift giver at Christmas, similar to Santa Claus)

Dual Circular date Stamps = Roller cancel?

My Christkindl Cinderella (Austria)

The Christkindl Post Office
Austria
Postcode 4411
27 Km South East of Linz

Edited by rod222 - 10/04/2016 4:58 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28412 Posts
Posted 10/04/2016   5:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bismark Issues.
Mutilated Stationery
Auxilliary markings........Unknown.

Mahr Schonb??

Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2130 Posts
Posted 10/04/2016   5:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

On the Staatstreffen cancels, if you look at the Bochmann listing posted above it has the code "Hd" next to the year of use. That indicates Handstempel, or hand canceller.

Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2130 Posts
Posted 10/04/2016   6:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

Your Christkindl is Bochmann Nürnberg 54.

Yours is a "b" cancel -- you can just make out the "b" between "DIE" and "NÜRNBERG" at upper left of the right circular cancel.

The code "Bd" next to the dates of use indicate that this was a Bandstempel, a type of machine cancel. The Bandstempel produced a continuous roll of circular cancels and intermediate designs.

The rest of the Bochmann listing translates as follows:

Nürnberger / Christkindles- / Markt / 4.-24. Dezember (Nuremberg Christmas Market, 4-24 December)
Z: Rauschgoldengel, Tannenzweige, Stern (Drawing: golden angel, two firs, star)

The "Siehe Bemerkung zu Nr. 35" is a reference to a note earlier in Bochmann. According to that note, with Nürnberg cancels, Bochmann uses a special abbreviation -- (H) / DSdR -- to denote "Hakenkreuz / DIE STADT DER REICHSPARTEITAG" (Swastika / The city of the Reich Party Day), since that was used on most Nürnberg cancels of the Nazi period.
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 4.37 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05