Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Identifying USA Cover

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 461Next Topic  
Valued Member
Egypt
361 Posts
Posted 09/29/2022   12:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add agmasd56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

i noticed that postmarke dated 1954
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4085 Posts
Posted 09/29/2022   1:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can you scan, rather than take a picture, of the entire cover, both front and back. This one has some interesting issues ... the least of which is the date.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
4604 Posts
Posted 09/29/2022   1:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are number of philatelic souvenirs from St Louis in the 1950s. Yours is one of them. Here is an image of a similar cover (from eBay), although with modern franking:

Add: Additional St Louis "philatelic" creations from the 1950s (from eBay) to give an idea what they were doing there:

Edited by John Becker - 09/29/2022 2:17 pm
Pillar Of The Community
587 Posts
Posted 09/29/2022   1:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Curious that someone would use those stamps (in the first cover), even in 1954, for a philatelic cover.
Pat
Learn More...
United States
10990 Posts
Posted 09/29/2022   3:03 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 1954 Scotts Specialized lists mint #24 at $3.00 each. It may be that these were no gum and/or have small faults.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
692 Posts
Posted 09/29/2022   3:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jarnick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The cover is a souvenir of the APS Convention, held in St. Louis in 1954. The organizing committee discovered that the old laws pertaining to Steamboat mail were still in effect and arranged for covers to be carried on a Mississippi riverboat. They received the Steamaboat cancel at st. Louis. Note that double the domestic postage was charged. I believe that USN Cdr. Robert W. Murch, a prominent St. Louis collector and APS member was the inspiration for these Riverboat covers.
Edited by jarnick - 09/29/2022 3:45 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8299 Posts
Posted 09/29/2022   3:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The 1954 Scotts Specialized lists mint #24 at $3.00 each

That was equal to about $33 today, so they would surely have had some defects as mentioned.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9080 Posts
Posted 09/29/2022   4:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Using the 24's may have seemed like a great idea at the time while sitting in the hotel bar.
Learn More...
United States
10990 Posts
Posted 09/29/2022   4:24 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
CV was $3, I am sure that market value was lower and as mentioned I assume that they used "somewhat less than ideal" quality stamps. Granted it was a better cover than what John shows above franked with contemptuous postage, but I would not call it unreasonable nor unlikely that it was done. Going to the trouble of having it carried on a riverboat and having auxiliary marks, it seems reasonable to me that the organizers would be likely make some 'extra special' covers.

The question in my mind is; is it worth more than a lunch meal today? Interesting item but I would not pay much for it.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3019 Posts
Posted 09/29/2022   6:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The stamps on the OP cover were ones in use during original steamboat service. However, if you want to get technical on a philatelic cover, the stamps in the OP were invalidated at the time of the US Civil War and should not have been accepted for cancellation.

In a similar vein, I recall a show cancel showing (I think) the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco. A collector used a $2 Trans-Mississippi Eads Bridge on cover to go along with the bridge topic. Some people will go to great lengths to make a unique item for themselves.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
571 Posts
Posted 09/30/2022   10:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wtcrowe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
People do things on a whim without regard to value. A friend put an unused Scott 122 (faulty, w/o gum) on a cover to send to Elliot Coulter (major collector of 1869 postal history) so that he would have 90 1869 on cover. At that time the only recorded cover (called the Ice House cover) was still missing in action after being stolen from J. David Baker.
Pillar Of The Community
1138 Posts
Posted 10/08/2022   01:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For those not familiar with steamboats on the Mississippi River, there are still a few of them left that are used for tourists who want to cruise on an old-time paddlewheel steamboat as were used in the 1800s. I do not know whether they offer any kind of philatelic souvenirs, but if not an enterprising stamp collector could easily make up a nice cachet and make steamboat covers today.

Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 461Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.18 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05