Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Q-1 Through Q-9 Parcel Post Eye Candy From US Postal Agency Shanghai, China And A Question

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 291Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1619 Posts
Posted 11/17/2022   6:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Anyone know anything about why this was created AND can anyone decipher the manuscript two words written at the top?

One guess is those were the values available at that office at that time. While I recall actual usages of all shown values in non-philatelic manners, I do not recall such with the 20 cent. The Q-8 as well as the Q10-12 (50 cent, 75 cent and $1) as all known well overpaying any proper rates as a solos on cover.

I guess I must keep an eye out for the Darrah overprint version on the same nine stamps arranged and tied in the same manner.

An Aside: One can stare at the computer screen for hours, days, weeks, months and even years to find an unusual, tough, rare, unique or unbelievable goodie you might want. Then there are days such as today when two such out of left field items close on eBay just hours apart from different sellers and locations, in today's case Florida and Indiana. For the other item see: http://goscf.com/t/82432

Note to self, just keep looking.

Edit: For spelling.
Send note to Staff
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 11/17/2022 6:06 pm

Valued Member
93 Posts
Posted 11/17/2022   6:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bankruptcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Pacchi" is Italian for packages and parcels.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1619 Posts
Posted 11/17/2022   6:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For is "per" in Italian.

So "For Packages" with all the known commonly at the USPA Shanghai seems to be an unofficial set of "SPECIMENS" prepared for the Italian Post Office in Shanghai seems a reasonable guess. Comments?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3052 Posts
Posted 11/18/2022   12:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, but I disagree with the specimens hypothesis. The UPU, already established, only required members to distribute stamps to other members for identification of stamps, not cancels or usages.

The note could easily be written by a collector or dealer and done at any time period. Plus it looks like we're missing parts of a sheet of paper that might tell a fuller story. I suppose we should be happy that someone didn't cut these down into stamps on piece. This also makes me wonder if someone in Italy sent money to Shanghai expecting Darrah overprints that they may have seen or heard about.

These are all cancelled with a receiving cancel, so it's too philatelic for my taste. Your mileage may vary. It might be better to save your dough for a parcel wrapper or fragment with parcel posts tied. Parcelpostguy, have you ever seen such a thing/is there such a thing?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1619 Posts
Posted 11/18/2022   01:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
parcel wrapper or fragment with parcel posts tied. Parcelpostguy, have you ever seen such a thing/is there such a thing?

Yes, there are such examples of usages with parcel post mail. I have up to the 25 cent (no 20 from Shanghai). The 25 cent was a wrapper with other PP values mailed in March or April 1913. On other classes of mail, non-philatelic 1-15 cents and 25 cents. I only know of the 20, 50, 75 cent and dollar on clearly philatelic solo mailings.

I would say the two most unusual parcel post stamp items are two items you would never expect to find let alone ask for. A letter mailed at sea with a parcel post tied by Japanese Sea Post cancel dropped at Shanghai to enter the US mail stream to the mainland. The second is a full wrapper with parcel post stamp(s) from Shanghai, at the domestic transient second class rate to Cuba, then redirected to within the US State of Georgia.

There is some interesting and properly rated domestic red and green material between Shanghai and the Philippines as well.

I will add there are one or two similar that are of the five parcel post postage due issues, one of which was cut down to a set of stamps with the full cancel and one stamp on piece.

Just a reminder, I have been playing with the JQ, Q and QE postal history, stamps and other goodies since 1983, prior to that date for the QEs.

Edited by Parcelpostguy - 11/18/2022 01:49 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3052 Posts
Posted 11/18/2022   03:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
With examples cited, this mind is certainly blown. Such non-straightforward usages from Shanghai (obviously?) should have existed, but for them to still exist is amazing.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 291Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05