Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Odd Shapes On Stamps (Including Hexagons)

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 167 / Views: 26,858Next Topic
Page: of 12
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5844 Posts
Posted 12/24/2010   10:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wondered what that was when I first saw that stamp...I was thinking it was some sort of garden folly. Thanks for the explanation.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 02/01/2011   02:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A hexagon in a snowflake stamp from the USA, nice.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1355 Posts
Posted 02/01/2011   11:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampgal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some of these cells are even hexagons, Puzzler!

Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 02/01/2011   3:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the posting stampgal.

But there are no regular hexagons on that stamp. The only irregular ones I can see are the ones I have put a yellow dot in. Most shapes are pentagonal (5-sided), the arrows in the center being nonagonal (9-sided). In nature most plant shapes that are polygonal are pentagonal, like the star fruit. I am learning terms myself today, thanks!

I am trying for regular shapes (from Wikipedia: cyclic (all corners lie on a single circle) and equilateral (all sides equal length).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygon
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 02/03/2011   11:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nope, changed my mind. Any hexagon with pointy corners it is now. Just one of the benefits of being a wishy-washy person.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32517 Posts
Posted 02/03/2011   12:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

That's funny Puzzler.

I don't think you are wishy washy,
I think you change your opinion as the facts present themselves,
admirable.
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 03/06/2011   4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Japan stamp with hexagons on

Not sure what this stamp represents, a bicycle?, boats or plant and a flower with an arrow thingie at bottom . . . the great outdoors? Activity in nature?

edit typo
Edited by Puzzler - 03/06/2011 10:36 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32517 Posts
Posted 03/09/2011   06:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

More Hexagons for you Puzz!

It is Egypt, but marked UAR after the marriage of
Egypt and Syria in 1958

Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 03/09/2011   09:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very Nice, thanks Rod.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5844 Posts
Posted 03/09/2011   12:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if the "arrow thingy" on the Japan is a stylized crane?
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32517 Posts
Posted 03/09/2011   1:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Stealing information from Gibbons...

70 yen Japan
SG1679 (1982) T1100 70y special correspondence [0m1].jpg

special correspondence stamps
Pine, Plum, and bamboo blossoms (In Japan=congratulations)

The arrow thingy, a crane is a great interpretation,
but I think in this case routing of the mail
because of the stamp's correspondence cynosure.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5844 Posts
Posted 03/09/2011   1:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking the small red patch maybe represented Grus japonensis, the red-crowned crane. Just a thought. (It looks a bit like an origami crane, to me, and that would fit the "good wishes" theme).
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32517 Posts
Posted 03/09/2011   2:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I see,
I missed that.
well spotted (like the flag you saw at half mast as well)

You could well be right.
Valued Member
United States
427 Posts
Posted 03/10/2011   6:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add butterfly to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A few "odd shaped" cancels to keep the thread going.
Anyone seen them before?

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32517 Posts
Posted 03/10/2011   6:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not seen the slogan cancel on the Netherlands.

The other is a "Precancel" from Belgium.

Page: of 12 Previous TopicReplies: 167 / Views: 26,858Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05