Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

France Red Cross Cinderella Booklet

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 2,943Next Topic  
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 07/03/2010   11:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Puzzler to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is an opened booklet of 20 different stamps.

I am wondering what these guys are. Generals and Admirals I would hazard a guess.

My French is not good. To me it looks like The French Ladies Association of the French Red Cross and the military gentlemen's names below.

This has been folded about three stamps in and then somewhat creased here and there throughout also. It looks like it was originally stapled into a booklet of some sort.

The other stamps and covers this was amongst could be dated to around 1947-9.

The only ones of these I could find on eBay or Delcampe at this tine were one stamp (the left most lower purple one) being sold (asking price) by a fellow in Latvia on eBay for USD $15.

Is that a realistic buy-it-now price? Are these chaps that sought after? I have seen other similar but different cinderellas / labels with a starting price of $3 to $6 each. (not hat I am planning on breaking apart this pane(s)!)

Any info appreciated, thanks.

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33550 Posts
Posted 07/04/2010   03:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As a cinderella collector, I have never seen these before,
that is some seriously nice paper you have there Puzzler.

$15 for a singleton seems very pricey,
but your set, keep under Mylar, I'd say would fetch
handsomely.

Probably best marketed on a French eBay.

The horizontal perfs seem bigger than the perpendicular
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1997 Posts
Posted 07/04/2010   03:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jubilee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice thing!
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 07/04/2010   06:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perf 10.65 horizontal and vertical as best as I can see.

The holes are different sizes indeed, horizontal about 0.9 mm and the vertical about 0.7 mm diameter.
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 07/04/2010   06:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My meandering about on Google and Wikipedia has shed a bit of light.

The Association dss Dames Francaises (pardon the lack of proper accents and infections etc) were a predecsesor organization to the French Red Cross (formed in 1940 from a number of associations).

The Ladies seemingly, if I understand things correctly (poor French again), issued or paid for or were responsible somehow for a number of medals awarded to various people.

All the gentlemen, including the first, President Poincare, were involved in World War I somehow.

This auction on eBay France
http://cgi.ebay.fr/FRANCE-TIMBRE-VI...em335e9bffab
is for a pane (10) of these same stamps, cut close and margins removed.

There were other versions of these stamps issued with different people on them, perhaps different medals awarded?, bronze, silver or some such, if my guess is correct.

To arrive in my possession, these stamps came from an inlaw's family ancestor in St Pierre et Miquelon, a French colony at the time.
Edited by Puzzler - 07/04/2010 06:27 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33550 Posts
Posted 07/04/2010   07:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Joseph Jacques Césaire Joffre 12 January 1852 - 3 January 1931) was a French general during World War I. He is most known for regrouping the retreating allied armies to defeat the Germans at the strategically decisive First Battle of the Marne in 1914.
Honors

Place Joffre, Avenue de la Motte-Piquet, Paris, with bronze statue of mounted subject.

Rue du Maréchal Joffre located in Nice, France

Mount Joffre, a mountain located on the Continental Divide, in British Columbia

Rue Joffre (Joffre Street), located in Shawinigan, Quebec, Canada.

Joffre Avenue, located in Milltown, New Jersey, USA.

Avenue Joffre, located in Shanghai, China (since renamed Huaihai Road).

Joffre Street, located in Pascoe Vale, Victoria, Australia.

Joffre, Pennsylvania, zip code 15053 (Latitude 40.4 degrees

Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 2,943Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05