Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Collecting by Engraver  

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 219
Pillar Of The Community
7152 Posts
Posted 01/26/2012   10:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Emile Feltesse is another French engraver about whom little information is available. He was active during the 1930s and 1940s as both a designer and engraver of stamps issued by France, the French colonies and Monaco. Here are images of six examples of Feltesse's work.

- nethryk

Native village, issued for use in French Guinea on March 1, 1938, Scott No. 130, SG No. 123.

Beaune Hospital, designed by Emile Feltesse, and issued by France on March 23, 1942, Scott No. 453, Y&T No. 539.

Jeanne Grimaldi (1596-1620), wife of Charles II Grimaldi, Seigneur de Monaco, semi-postal stamp issued by Monaco on December 10, 1942, Scott No. B65.

Procession of Sainte Dévote, semi-postal stamp designed by Pierre Gandon, and issued by Monaco on January 27, 1944, Scott No. B77.

Bora Bora, outrigger canoe and screwpine (Pandanus tectorius), designed by French-Tahitian artist Jacques Boullaire (1893-1976), and issued for use in French Polynesia (Oceanic Settlements) on March 1, 1948, Scott No. 175, SG No. 201.

Denis-Auguste Affre (1793-1848), archbishop of Paris, shot and killed by a stray bullet while trying to end the violence at a barricade during the insurrection of June 1848, semi-postal stamp designed by Paul-Pierre Lemagny, and issued by France on April 5, 1948, Scott No. B231, Y&T No. 802.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Czech Republic
502 Posts
Posted 01/27/2012   07:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add florian to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
nethryk - Visiting Musée de la Poste, Paris in 2005 in search of background info on French creators of postage stamps I then learnt the following about Monsieur Feltesse's biography:
Émile Henri Feltesse (1881 - ?), postage stamp designer and engraver, studied at Beaux-Arts, Paris, executed essentially copperplate engravings in 3 colours.
Pillar Of The Community
7152 Posts
Posted 01/27/2012   09:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
florian - Thanks for sharing that biographical information about Émile Henri Feltesse; I have updated by data base accordingly. Please check out the Literary thread to see a small token of my appreciation. :) - nethryk
Edited by nethryk - 01/27/2012 09:29 am
Pillar Of The Community
1508 Posts
Posted 01/27/2012   09:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fifia to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
nethryk, good morning. You make my cup of coffee taste better. I just love your postings and the interesting information.

Thanks!

Fifia

Pillar Of The Community
7152 Posts
Posted 01/27/2012   10:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
fifia - Merci beaucoup. Your own many contributions here are much appreciated, too. - nethryk
Pillar Of The Community
7152 Posts
Posted 01/29/2012   09:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Juan Carlos Heras Vicario (1961- ) is a Spanish engraver of postage stamps and banknotes for the Royal Mint, and also a professor of engraving at the School of Engraving and Graphic Design in Madrid. Here are images of five examples of Heras Vicario's engraving work.

- nethryk

Ibn Hazm (994-1064), Andalusian philosopher, poet, jurist and theologian (and a leading proponent of the Zahiri school of Islamic thought), issued by Spain on December 3, 1986, Scott No. 2501, Edifil No. 2870. Can anyone translate the Arabic phrase for us?

Bonus: Here is a fragment from one of Ibn Hazm's poems:

You came to me just before
the Christians rang their bells.
The half-moon was rising
looking like an old man's eyebrow
or a delicate instep.

And although it was still night
when you came a rainbow
gleamed on the horizon,
showing as many colors
as a peacock's tail.

José María Mathé Aragua (1800-1875), Spanish military engineer and General Director of the Spanish telegraph network project, and telegraph tower, designed by Miguel Ángel Escobar, and issued on March 8, 1996, Scott No. 2844, Edifil No. 3410.

Leopoldo García-Alas y Ureña (1852-1901), also known as Clarín, Asturian realist novelist, a line from his masterpiece La Regenta (1884), and the cathedral of the fictional city of Vetusta (modeled after Oviedo, capital of Asturias), designed by Miguel Ángel Escobar, and issued on November 13, 1996, Scott No.2874, Edifil No.3456.

José María Pemán y Pemartín1 (1897-1981), Spanish playwright, poet, writer, orator and monarchist, and "Don José," a leading character from the popular 1967 television series El Séneca (for which he was the writer), issued by Spain on May 8, 1997 to commemorate Pemán's birth centenary, Scott No. 2891, Edifil No. 3484.

Facade of the Royal Theater, Madrid, designed by Miguel Ángel Escobar, and issued by Spain on October 11, 1997 to celebrate the new theater's inauguration, Scott No. 2916, Edifil No.3515.
Edited by nethryk - 01/29/2012 09:46 am
Pillar Of The Community
7152 Posts
Posted 01/31/2012   9:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are images of two engraved definitive stamps featuring portraits of King Gustaf VI Adolf, both designed by Swedish artist David Tägtström (1894-1981), and issued by Sweden. They seem quite similar at first glance, but upon closer inspection they can be seen to be in fact significantly different. The stamp on the left was engraved by Sven Ewert, and issued on June 1, 1957, Scott No. 517, Facit No. 416B. The stamp on the right was engraved by Czeslaw Slania, and issued on March 20, 1961, Scott No. 584, Facit No. 421. The colors of the numerals and lettering are obviously different, but I would invite you to examine these two stamps side by side in order to appreciate the differences between them in their designs and in the engraving work.

- nethryk

Edited by nethryk - 01/31/2012 10:00 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Czech Republic
502 Posts
Posted 02/02/2012   08:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add florian to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
nethryk - Re: Pierre Munier (p.21), see La gravure et les timbres - Pierre Albuisson.
Pillar Of The Community
Czech Republic
502 Posts
Posted 02/02/2012   08:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add florian to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
nethryk - Your French Guinea Native village happens to have been the very first of my then "modern" exotic stamps, given to me by my uncle back in 1946. Thanks for the fine close-up.
Pillar Of The Community
7152 Posts
Posted 02/02/2012   09:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
florian - Thanks for the tip on this new biographical information about Pierre Munier (1889-?) on Pierre Albuisson's excellent website, which I had not revisited in many months. In celebration, here are images of a couple more stamps which were nicely engraved by Munier and issued by France.

- nethryk

PS Great memory about your uncle. The "exotic" stamps were probably what got me hooked on stamp collecting as a boy.

Global map and anchor, designed by French heraldic artist Robert Louis (1902-1965), and issued on May 12, 1951 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the creation of the French colonial troops, Scott No. 647, Y&T No. 889.

Le Grand Trianon, Versailles, designed by Munier, and issued on April 14, 1956, Scott No. 794, Y&T No. 1059.
Edited by nethryk - 02/02/2012 09:59 am
Pillar Of The Community
7152 Posts
Posted 02/06/2012   09:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I. M. Mokrousov engraved a number of postage stamps for Russia (USSR) from the 1960s to the 1980s. Here are images of five examples of Mokrousov's work.

- nethryk

Collective farm watchman, designed by A. Kalashnikov after a painting by Soviet Russian artist Sergey Vasilyevich Gerasimov (1885-1964), and issued on December 31, 1965, Scott No. 3145, Zagorski No. 3219.

Bas-relief of Georgian poet Shota Rustaveli (1172-1216), designed by E. Aniskin, and issued on August 31, 1966, Scott No. 3236, Zagorski No. 3309.

Monument to the Unknown Soldier, Moscow, designed by G. Komlev, and issued on December 25, 1967, Scott No. 3419, Zagorski No. 3488.

Dmitri Ivanovich Mendeleev (1834-1907), Russian chemist and inventor credited as the creator of the first version of the periodic table of elements, and his corrections to a formula, designed by V. Limonov, and issued on June 20, 1969, Scott No. 3607, Zagorski No. 3684.

Nikolai Ilich Podvoiski (1880-1948), Russian revolutionary, designed by N. Nikitin, and issued on February 16, 1980, Scott No. 4813, Zagorski No. 4976..

Pillar Of The Community
Czech Republic
502 Posts
Posted 02/07/2012   04:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add florian to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
nethryk - Mokrousov's first name is Ivan.
Pillar Of The Community
7152 Posts
Posted 02/07/2012   06:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
florian - Thanks! I have found only one internet reference that gave Mokrousov's first name and patronymic as Ivan Mikhailovich, but so far I have been unable to confirm his full name from a second reliable source, nor have I been able to obtain any biographical information about him. Do you have anything further to share? - nethryk
Pillar Of The Community
Czech Republic
502 Posts
Posted 02/10/2012   04:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add florian to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
nethryk - Mokrousov's first name Ivan is an excerpt from the Filatelie periodical dating from those days when creators' names, if available, used to be mentioned with most new issues. Otherwise, I have no further info on Ivan Mikhailovich Mokrousov. - I appreciate the reliability of your data.
Pillar Of The Community
7152 Posts
Posted 02/11/2012   09:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
florian - Thanks again. I have found that "collecting by engraver" is both challenging and necessarily always a work-in-progress. - nethryk
Page: of 219 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Christmas Stamps of 1970 - Kiss Print or Double Print
  More cluelessness, as if no one was convinced yet
  Alaska Mass Flight Mail - 1934
  Guide lines and joint lines for coil pairs
  help me plate this scott 21 type III
  Complete set of Australian Framas
  Total eclipse scott number
  Early Ceylon with "CAVE" overprint
  Over & underinked embossed covers and 1 cut square
  Question Regarding Color of GB Scott 98
  Scott 1700a or 1700e
  Do you recognize this cancellation?
  Ebay netflix tax now impossed on all Australian ebay sellers
  Old Stamp Collection Book
  Has anyone seen this R155 overprint inking anomaly before?
  RB15c with bogus rouletting?
  National Surety and us senate air mail
  $2 Columbian MNH Full Pane of 100 - Auction Watch
  Double print or over inked or printed on the gummed side ?
  3 cent #11A should be easy Plate 1L identification but...
  Australia Post Get It Very Wrong.
  One of these eBay sellers is a bit clueless
  International Postage Stamp For Sale
  Hairline in my Unitrade 138
  Fall River Philatelic Society STAMP SHOW, Saturday August 19, 2017 10AM-5PM

Private Mailing Card Act of May 19, 1898
  Booklet Pairs on Sweden Complicates Things
  What Was in YOUR Mailbox Today??
  One of these eBay sellers is a bit clueless
  Science-Fiction/Fantasy Stamps
  need help to find value and if are good or rares stamps
  Guide lines and joint lines for coil pairs
  help me plate this scott 21 type III
  Over & underinked embossed covers and 1 cut square
  Ebay netflix tax now impossed on all Australian ebay sellers
  Christmas Stamps of 1970 - Kiss Print or Double Print
  More cluelessness, as if no one was convinced yet
  Regency Stamps is just the latest in a long line of philatelic carpetbaggers and scalawags ...
  Complete set of Australian Framas
  Lighthouses on Stamps
  $2 Columbian MNH Full Pane of 100 - Auction Watch
  Whats in your Library?
  Stamp Smarter June Contest
  Double print or over inked or printed on the gummed side ?
  Do you recognize this cancellation?
  Alaska Mass Flight Mail - 1934
  Early Ceylon with "CAVE" overprint
  3 cent #11A should be easy Plate 1L identification but...
  Help ID Australian 4d Orange, Scott 31
  Scott 1700a or 1700e

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.72 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05