Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Paquebot Cover

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 6,787Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 09/01/2010   3:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wt1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Don't know if this post should correctly be a World Covers or U.S. Covers post, so I'll start here.

My question is whether Paquebot covers especially collectible? I never heard of it before until I recently came across a rather basic cover from 1936 with a Great Britain stamp bearing a New York, NY cancel imprinted "Paquebot".

Since a U.S. cancel on a Great Britain stamp is unusual, I looked it up and realized it was from mail sent from merchant ships or cruise ships, so it seemed as though it would be a interesting field to collect.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2751 Posts
Posted 09/01/2010   4:17 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, they are collectable and there are numerous types of Paquebot postmarks. They can also be found on covers from a variety of countries too.
Enjoy!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32884 Posts
Posted 09/01/2010   9:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's a very nice cover wt1,
I don't recall ever seeing "paquebot" as part of a duplex
killer before.
The cover is nice and crisp and clear, a keeper.

Correction : machine cancel.

Edited by rod222 - 09/01/2010 9:43 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 09/02/2010   09:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. I agree the cover is a "keeper". From what I've read, the machine cancel may not be rare, but is unusual, as many of such covers seem to have "Paquebot" affixed by either a handstamp or handwriting.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1997 Posts
Posted 09/11/2010   04:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jubilee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I love paquebot covers, especially when they have KGV on them.

Here's two I recently picked up. Sent on a Mediterranean cruise to the same recipient. The first was posted on board after departure from Southampton on 6 Feb 1928. The second has a quite lovely Torino (Turin) paquebot postmark dated 14 Feb 1928.

I haven't scanned the backs, but they carry the following imprint "Frank Tourist Co, Mediterranean Cruise", with a Cunard flag and logo underneath.

Cost me about a buck fifty each

Valued Member
India
182 Posts
Posted 03/19/2012   10:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add our_elephant to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

This Paquebot cover uses South Africa Stamp, cancelled at Southampton and sent to Rhodesia, was it possible to use the Africa stamp for postage in UK. a bit confusing??
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1362 Posts
Posted 03/20/2012   08:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the only paquebot cover in my collection. Has a pair of U.S. Scott 632s; entered the mail stream in Le Havre, France; destination Detroit, Michigan.

Regards, Robert

Edit: Replaced image for one without watermark.
Edited by Trainwreck - 06/17/2021 09:06 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6265 Posts
Posted 03/20/2012   08:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I love Paquebot covers and am always looking for them. They are highly collectible and a great source for information on the various types is here http://www.tpo-seapost.org.uk/

Just a few of mine.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3728 Posts
Posted 03/23/2012   12:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I always wondered if "Paquebot" had any significant meaning.

I actually have two letters to Grandma with one complaining about the "fierce vibration" from the Maiden Voyage.

I also was able to spend my Honeymoon night on board the ship while docked in Long Beach. Very nice brunch, as I remember. (I woke up a little late that day, for some reason ...)

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3728 Posts
Posted 04/15/2012   10:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It took some searching, but I found another Paquebot cover in
my Hong Kong section. I love the underlying picture. Kind of odd
that we have Hong Kong stamps, a Canada cancel, and delivered to
New Jersey (no further cancels on front or back.)

Pillar Of The Community
United States
566 Posts
Posted 04/16/2012   9:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kehess to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Does someone know how they determine which country's stamps to use? I would assume that the cancellation happens at whatever port where the mailbag arrives. Correct?

Karen
Valued Member
New Zealand
64 Posts
Posted 04/17/2012   11:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sydneyboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice topic, fascinating area or collecting - and not so common. Here is a postcard, postmarked Colombo from my KGV collection.

Pillar Of The Community
Germany
1694 Posts
Posted 12/22/2012   8:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
kehess had asked "Does someone know how they determine which country's stamps to use?".. so I shall give an answer.

While at sea the vessel is considered to be part of the country where the vessel is registered so uses the stamps of that country. The mail is taken ashore at the next port and given a "paquebot" mark to show they were posted at sea.

This explains, for instance, the Hong Kong stamps used on board a Hong Kong registered vessel... taken ashore at British Columbia... to be delivered to the USA.
Edited by scotzm - 12/22/2012 8:39 pm
Valued Member
392 Posts
Posted 12/22/2012   8:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lorddenning to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Universal Postal Union regulations dealt with ship mail. See this article:

http://greatbritainphilately.blogsp...ip-mail.html
Pillar Of The Community
United States
566 Posts
Posted 12/22/2012   11:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kehess to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, scotzm and lorddenning!
I had forgotten that I had asked the question but I'm glad to have the answer. Interesting topic!
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 01/02/2013   11:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommy5351 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How is paquetbot pronounced or what does it sound like. I have enough trouble with English.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 6,787Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05