Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ss Lusitania

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5729 Posts
Posted 01/11/2011   10:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stallzer to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
5 years prior to being Torpedoed by a German U-Boat in 1915, kind of a neat card knowing the fate of the ship.

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27557 Posts
Posted 01/11/2011   10:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Please forgive me for correction Stallzer,
The vessel shown in the postcard (and a beauty!)
is the RMS Lusitania I think.

The SS lusitania was a single stack vessel,
shown here painted by Tom Roberts whilst aboard.

I hope I am correct.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 01/11/2011   11:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you enlarge the postcard shown above, it does say "S.S. Lusitania".
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27557 Posts
Posted 01/11/2011   11:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That other little boat with the outboard motor
was also called the "SS Minnow" :)

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5729 Posts
Posted 01/12/2011   12:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They would be one in the same. SS= Steamship, RMS = Royal Mail Ship. That is the Lusitania, owned by the Cunard Ship Co. that took the torpedo.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...ger-64977399

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Lusitania
Valued Member
United States
373 Posts
Posted 01/12/2011   01:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Donna Merkle to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

That other little boat with the outboard motor
was also called the "SS Minnow" :)

How right you are, Rod. I can see Gilligan waving at everyone, but is that Mary Ann or Ginger I see behind him?
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27557 Posts
Posted 01/12/2011   03:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They would be one in the same. SS= Steamship, RMS = Royal Mail Ship.

Yes, maybe, but we might have to "split hairs" again.
Officially, and with great prestige, any vessel that was awarded a mail contract, took on the title RMS = Royal Mail Steamer

In a quirk of curiosity, we have the "RMS Titanic"
with her lifeboats with the livery of "SS Titanic"

I'll let someone else explain.

Having the title "RMS" was seen as a mark of quality and a competitive advantage, because the mail had to be on
time. In the 1860 CDSPCo contract there was a penalty clause of 1 1s 4d for every minute's delay. The White Star
Line sisters RMS Olympic and RMS Titanic were Royal Mail Ships.

S.S. stands for Steam Ship and is the internationally accepted standard for a steam driven vessel as was RMS
Titanic.

The Lifeboats would carry SS rather than RMS because there MIGHT have been a later cruise when Titanic was
NOT under Royal Contract to carry the mail.
Source(s):
former US Naval Officer, History Teacher, and friend of the Royal Navy

I believe the Lusitania was under royal mail contract from
her commissioning hence RMS.

Not trying to be a smart bottom, but to some
may be of interest

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27557 Posts
Posted 01/12/2011   03:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's dating you donna

Can you believe we watched that stuff
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1355 Posts
Posted 01/12/2011   06:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampgal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
By coincidence, the day this thread was posted, the last known living survivor of the sinking of the Lusitania died in England aged 95. Audrey Lawson-Johnson and her brother were rescued from the ship by their nanny, but two older sisters were drowned. Their family were migrating from the USA to England. She was just 3 months old at the time.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27557 Posts
Posted 01/12/2011   06:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Extraordinary.
I was reading of those who perished, quite
a remarkable list of prominent people.
Germany had advertised their intent in many papers,
I am surprised there was not more reticence.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5729 Posts
Posted 01/12/2011   07:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would not consider it to be splitting hairs Rod. Your explanation is quite accurate and I would probably assume that when the Postcard was manufactured the Lusitania probably had not received the Mail contracts yet. I did not look to see when her maiden voyage was but the PC is from 1910, 5 years prior to her sinking at which time she was the RMS Lusitania. That is eerily a very fascinating coincidence Stampgal, and I had no knowledge of that when I posted this, I have just been going through my PC collection which I started going through the past couple of days. Much to my surprise, I have found some very interesting items, I'll post up some others.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27557 Posts
Posted 01/12/2011   07:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cheers :)
FYI.
Let's call the SS Lusitania (number 1)
She was wrecked BTW off the coast of Newfoundland.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5726 Posts
Posted 01/12/2011   10:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a nice little writeup on the earlier Lusitania and Rod's stamp, from a ship-philately website.
http://www.shipstamps.co.uk/forum/v...0718&start=0

She was rigged for sails, which explains the image in the painting/stamp.
Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 01/12/2011   12:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great read here!
BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5877 Posts
Posted 01/12/2011   4:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ditto.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27557 Posts
Posted 01/12/2011   7:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, a great read Cjd,
thanks for finding that
what a knowledgeable author!
Ships on stamps is in good hands

Clipper:
A clipper was a very fast sailing ship of the 19th century that had three or more masts and a square rig. They were generally narrow for their length, could carry limited bulk freight, small by later 19th century standards, and had a large total sail area. Clipper ships were mostly made in British and American shipyards, though France, the Netherlands and other nations also produced some. Clippers sailed all over the world, primarily on the trade routes between the United Kingdom and its colonies in the east, in trans-Atlantic trade, and the New York-to-San Francisco route round Cape Horn during the California Gold Rush. Dutch clippers were built beginning in 1850s for the tea trade and passenger service to Java.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05