Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Manuscript Penmanship On Covers And Stamps.

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar Of The Community

Guatemala
1499 Posts
Posted 01/17/2011   10:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add quigngt to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here are some of my recent acquisitions of manuscript and pen cancels. This is the new and focused interest in my collecting. I don't know if there are established descriptions for the cancels below. If there are I'd appreciate having that information.

Year date cancel. ....Is it advisable to erase the pencil date on the cover?

manuscript "G"....................initials

whirlwind...............................scribble

town cancel in manuscript

manucript initials
Send note to Staff
Edited by quigngt - 12/22/2012 10:03 am

Learn More...
United States
4682 Posts
Posted 01/17/2011   10:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice ones. That "whirlwind squiggle" might pass for a fancy cancel
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2547 Posts
Posted 01/17/2011   10:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Russ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice examples, the manuscript and pen cancels normally carry a premium on value. I have several covers with pecil date, position numbers, etc., and I never erase them. For what its worth most award winning exhibitions have covers with pencil notations.
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1499 Posts
Posted 01/17/2011   10:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Russ, I'll take your advice and not erase pencil notations. Thanks
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2757 Posts
Posted 01/17/2011   10:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add warrehouse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice work Quigngt!!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2478 Posts
Posted 01/17/2011   10:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tomiseksj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Quigngt,

It is a shame that modern day "pen cancellations" aren't made with similar artistry!

Quote:
the manuscript and pen cancels normally carry a premium on value

Russ,

Looking at the 2011 Scott Specialized U.S., it seems that pen cancels significantly reduce the catalog value of the stamp. Am I interpreting the cancellations data incorrectly?

Steve
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2547 Posts
Posted 01/17/2011   11:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Russ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Manuscript with postmaster initials, town names and full dates are becoming extremely sought after with premiums extremely common. Simple "X" or squiggle will detract value.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2478 Posts
Posted 01/17/2011   12:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tomiseksj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Russ, that's good to know.
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1499 Posts
Posted 04/13/2011   3:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These new additions just arrived.

The Scott 26 Washington may have been used as a revenue. Opinions welcome.

And Scott 236 8 cent colombian. Is it a fancy cancel or a hand written pen cancel? Again, opinions are welcome.

Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 04/15/2011   12:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
that last one is really sort of hard to tell if it's a fancy cancel or a pen cancel but it looks like it bled a little into the paper or something but an intelligent guess would be that it's a hand cancel. I have a few but from reading this thread maybe I'll have to get them out and take a look. Very neat!
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 09/21/2011   9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Man I don't remember writing that? Is this an older post? Ahhh back in April.. I love a good manuscript OR the simple "X" especially if it's done script like or the classic pirate like "X marks the spot". In fact I will and have paid more for a stamp with that "X" than one with a big blurry cork cancellation or a big smudge! So here is a good example of it just depends on what someone is willing to pay vs. what the catalog says. I like what I like.
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1499 Posts
Posted 09/21/2011   9:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just in last week. I originally was not going to collect revenues with manuscript cancels since those are very common. But when I came across this one, I changed my mind. I can only dream of writing like this.

The following #117 with a beautiful H is very well centered, maybe XF, bright green color and great paper condition as well. It didn't come cheap but still a little less than 30% Scott CV.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6481 Posts
Posted 09/21/2011   11:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The script is beautiful. There's nothing like an nice flowing pen to add some life to a stamp.
And I also agree ILS, that sometimes a simple X is interesting too

Looks like the same anti-royalist was still working at the post office 55 years later.
Learn More...
United States
4682 Posts
Posted 09/22/2011   07:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also like some of the manuscript/pen cancels, including the one I use for my avatar.

I discussed it http://goscf.com/t/4265

Of course, for a frightening perspective from the other point of view, check out any of the Marker Monkey threads

KirkS

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5809 Posts
Posted 09/22/2011   08:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why is it that with Revenue Stamps manuscript cancels detract from the value but with Postage Stamps it adds to the value ?
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1499 Posts
Posted 09/22/2011   11:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
stallzer, I have learned over the past year that the more elaborate manuscripts generally have a higher value for both revenue and postage stamps. Most revenues are manuscript canceled but most postage stamps are not. So supply and demand probably enters in prices realized. Additionally, I think it is fair to say that most manuscript cancels on revenues are not elaborate. On postage stamps you will see a simple "x", straight line, tic-tac-toe, etc being called manuscript cancels but are really nothing more than a simple pen cancel. I am not an expert in manuscript cancels since I am in the learning stage but these are my observations.
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05