Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Railroad Related Postcards!

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13
Pillar Of The Community
United States
786 Posts
Posted 09/03/2018   4:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does anyone know for sure if those Grey boxcar roofs were galvanized metal, grey paint or just the colour the artist chose to use when tinting the original.

I've seen boxcars with metal roofs from this period, but it's really hard to say just by looking at that postcard. By the 1920s most of the boxcars had metal framework and roofs.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
786 Posts
Posted 10/25/2018   4:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's an interesting one of a train crossing the Cajon Pass in So. California. This card was published by Fred Harvey, the concessionaire who ran all the hotels and restaurants along the Sante Fe line. Anyone heard of the Harvey Girls?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3607 Posts
Posted 10/25/2018   6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've got a number of cards of individual Fred Harvey restaurants deep in the Great Pile.

Not a bad topic for a specialty collection, if you felt a connection to Ole Fred. Or his girls.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
Posted 02/13/2019   9:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Revenue N Covers to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What a great thread. Here are the front and back of one from Goliad Texas for the "Association Special" in 1912. I think this was Black Baptists- Card came from Jack Johnson's dad's family (yes that Jack Johnson).

Here are two of The Mastodon the barge in New Orleans to get rail cars across the Mississippi.

Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
Posted 02/13/2019   9:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Revenue N Covers to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1908 From Newcastle, CA to Reno, NV on Feb 29 no less. Two trains passing on the hill. One of my all time favorite postcards.

Another CA- the roundhouse at Dunamuir- This may be a postcard sized picture now that I think of it...

This one drives me crazy- I should be able to ID this roundhouse (workshed at a roundtable?) but have utterly struck out. Back is blank of course. Found it in Erie, PA

Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
Posted 02/13/2019   9:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Revenue N Covers to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A group with some relationship to the topic- first two staged at fairs I think (a pretty common form but fun to see). Third is labeled "A Truck Train" and its of black troops with Pershing chasing around Northern Mexico (wish I still had this one).

Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
Posted 02/13/2019   9:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Revenue N Covers to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, last one, eer, three. First I found in Texas and think its up near Brenham but I don't know for that for certain. 2nd pic is a pair of engines in the shop or storage- alas no ID at all

And finally a true rarity. There is a site that has information on all known train engines ever built. They list this one as No Known Photographs. The logging locomotive engines with geared wheels are pretty incredible. Will try to find my notes about this one, it is unsent.
Pillar Of The Community
New Zealand
896 Posts
Posted 02/14/2019   5:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Champagne Cellars - Piper Heidsieck Reims Train Postcard

Pillar Of The Community
New Zealand
896 Posts
Posted 02/14/2019   5:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hong Kong Cableway. Picked this one up in a thrift shop for about 30c.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1248 Posts
Posted 02/14/2019   6:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There is a site that has information on all known train engines ever built. They list this one as No Known Photographs. The logging locomotive engines with geared wheels are pretty incredible.

I'm not sure I would give that much credibility. If there are NKP, how do you have this one? The locomotive is a two-truck Shay of common design, about 38 tons, widely used on logging lines because the truck design could negotiate temporary or rough track. The diamond stack pegs it to late 19th century; they were used as spark arrestors, mostly in the arid West.

Pillar Of The Community
New Zealand
896 Posts
Posted 02/14/2019   6:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Two modern New Zealand PCs showing the 1949 restored JA Class Locomotive 'Diana' A 1250

Built: 1949
Builder: Hillside, Dunedin
Entered NZR Service: June 1949
Withdrawn from NZR: 16.11.1971

www.gvr.co.nz

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2232 Posts
Posted 02/15/2019   09:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There is a site that has information on all known train engines ever built.

@Revenue N Covers, could you post a link to that site? Thanks.
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
Posted 02/15/2019   11:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Revenue N Covers to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dang it... Found the Geared Shay postcard but I don't have the website in my note. Will get after looking for it. The son of a serious train guy showed me the site in 2002 or so... CJP640- the website about trains said NKP that they knew of- I didn't say it...

I have a note with it that is semi-intelligible: This is a Shay 45 ton. Probably by Lima Locomotive works. C&S.E. on side is Colorado and South Eastern and was taken probably in 1907. This is a narrow gauge shaft drive (all wheels) with three cylinders on the right side, all wheels Climax form rarer than middle wheel only Heisler.

Can't quite read what is written below the light or on the plate around the 3. Will try a higher res. scan and report back later.
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
Posted 02/15/2019   4:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Revenue N Covers to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are links to two Rosters of American Steam Locomotives... The first seems more like what I remember but what site is the same since 2002 now... The last is a good link for Wheel Arrangements. Enjoy RnC

http://www.interstaterailroad.net/id66.html Steam locomotive roster

http://riptrack.net/book/export/html/216 Locomotive Roster

http://www.steamlocomotive.com/whyte/ wheel arrangements
Pillar Of The Community
United States
786 Posts
Posted 02/16/2019   5:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hong Kong Cableway. Picked this one up in a thrift shop for about 30c.

I rode that tram a couple years ago to the top of Victoria Peak. The view of Hong Kong harbor is spectacular and the ride up that incline is pretty impressive, too.

Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.15 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05