Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Railroad Related Postcards!  

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2904 Posts
Posted 08/03/2014   7:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those take me right back, littleriverphil; I can smell the smoke & the creosote & the forest ...
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1454 Posts
Posted 08/04/2014   6:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Now that you can smell the smoke, creosote, and forest, I'll add sea air! I'm sure that everyone noticed that those railcars were carring one log each. Redwood logging trains, from the north coast of Calif., Mendocino and Humboldt counties. They were huge, as you can see on this card postmarked 1919 in Elk, Cal.

Mendocino County is isolated, and has a very rugged coastline with only four fairly large harbors, Point Arena, Casper, Mendocino, and Fort Bragg. At the turn of the century, there were no trains that connected to the inland raillines, and lumber was shipped on lumber schooners. Most of the loading points were slide chutes, bare points of rock jutting out into the Pacific Ocean. This chute was in Mendocino Bay and is a postcard made from a early photo, it is not used, all the rest of these cards were sent from the subject site.

The "harbor" at Elk was not really protected, but was a normally calm port because of the maze of reefs outside of the harbor. The mill was located at the south end of town on Greenwood creek, which was darned to provide mill ponds as seen here beyond the railroad tressle. After being milled the lumber went up the hill. Notice the steep incline behind the steam and smoke. That led to the lumber yard behind the large hotel to the left of the inclined track, and from there was hauled on small rail car by mule down a long pier that curved around the large rock island in the bay.
The mule, Maude, a local legend, live in the little "barn" to the left of the rail car of lumber.

Although the Elk Creek railroad was not a mail train, it did carry mail from the little logging town of Salsig.

The next port north was Mendocino, the largest bay on the coast, and one of Mendocino County's earlist post offices.

Casper is a few miles above Mendocino, and the second largest bay.

This train also carried mail from Northwestern, located about 10 miles east of Fort Bragg.

Darn post card collectors and scotch tape!
Edited by littleriverphil - 08/04/2014 6:21 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
902 Posts
Posted 08/06/2014   10:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
littleriverphil, Amazing history lesson!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
202 Posts
Posted 08/13/2014   6:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mudhut1000 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Such wonderful postcards! I'm in the same boat as Rileysan!

Thank you for posting them! Mud
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2904 Posts
Posted 09/04/2014   8:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Rhatische Bahn (Rhaetian Railway) is the largest network among all private railway operators in Switzerland:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhaetian_Railway

The Bernina Range (Berninagruppe) is among the tallest of the Alps:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernina_Pass

The Morteratsch is a large glacier:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morteratsch_Glacier

The publisher is in nearby St Moritz:

What a ride!

(Engineering note: if you did not electrify the line, you'd have to drag all that fuel up the hill.)

Cheers,

/s/ iikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2904 Posts
Posted 09/07/2014   6:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess the nine-digit-zip means that the ink is still wet on this postcard. Nice history on the locomotive, though.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2904 Posts
Posted 09/29/2014   2:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My father (z"l), who hobo'd his way on the rails, from New York City to Los Angeles, in the midst of The Great Depression, told me (albeit in a 50-odd year-old memory) that the big advantage that rail-based transport had over road-based transport was that trains are indifferent to precipitation.

My first thought on seeing this card was: "My father was wrong? About anything? Ever?"

Now that the shock has worn-ff, I'm thinking that he must have been speaking about the NYC subways versus the NYC buses, probably when looking out our windows at snow-bound traffic ...

... because if there is one thing this card demonstrates, it is that rail-based transport is not completely indifferent to snow.

Happiness is a full stamp box.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Valued Member
United States
151 Posts
Posted 10/01/2014   3:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
154 Posts
Posted 02/08/2015   9:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Curious is anyone will object to me reviving this thread after many months to post a couple of cards I found in a friend's mother's photos back in 2011.

I thought they were interesting (and at the time I was making a train themed collage for the friend's grandson). I always scan pictures and print them off rather than use the actual pictures.

I remember both cards were unused which is why I didn't bother scanning the backs.
Edited by MeadowviewCollector - 02/08/2015 9:22 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2293 Posts
Posted 02/09/2015   3:29 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have no objections to your revival!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1454 Posts
Posted 02/09/2015   7:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"I have no objections to your revival!"

Me either, it gives me another chanced to include another logging train heading for the Union Lumber company mill in Fort Bragg, Cal.

Valued Member
United States
154 Posts
Posted 04/13/2015   1:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found this unused post card among some of my grandma's photos. She was born in Gilbert, Iowa in 1926.

It shows the A.J. Mabie & Son Elevator next to the railroad tracks.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2904 Posts
Posted 04/18/2015   10:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The luck-of-the-lot, I call it: you never know what you'll find, even in a well-defined auction lot.

Ivory carvings, ebony mounts, moving parts.

http://www.warthers.com/ ... they're still at it!

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/10049 ... an endorsement!

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

KYYFNff5e20
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1454 Posts
Posted 04/29/2015   12:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Found another train car postcard, the mailcar of the Southern Pacific Rail Road, Sacramento, California. Found it in a 39 year span of 54 postcards to and from one logging family as they moved around the redwood logging operations. I'm showing front and back of this card which comes from the little town of Loleta in Humboldt county.

Edited by littleriverphil - 04/29/2015 2:25 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
882 Posts
Posted 04/29/2015   12:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That depicts an SP motor car built by McKeen Motor Car Company of Omaha, with a mail car "trailer". It's a nice find, as postcard images of motor cars are uncommon, having been used mostly on lightly-traveled rural routes where there may have been fewer railfans or people with cameras. I believe the buildings in the background survive as part of the California State Railroad Museum at the former SP Sacramento Shops.
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Christmas Stamps of 1970 - Kiss Print or Double Print
  More cluelessness, as if no one was convinced yet
  Alaska Mass Flight Mail - 1934
  Guide lines and joint lines for coil pairs
  help me plate this scott 21 type III
  Complete set of Australian Framas
  Total eclipse scott number
  Early Ceylon with "CAVE" overprint
  Over & underinked embossed covers and 1 cut square
  Question Regarding Color of GB Scott 98
  Scott 1700a or 1700e
  Do you recognize this cancellation?
  Ebay netflix tax now impossed on all Australian ebay sellers
  Old Stamp Collection Book
  Has anyone seen this R155 overprint inking anomaly before?
  RB15c with bogus rouletting?
  National Surety and us senate air mail
  $2 Columbian MNH Full Pane of 100 - Auction Watch
  Double print or over inked or printed on the gummed side ?
  3 cent #11A should be easy Plate 1L identification but...
  Australia Post Get It Very Wrong.
  One of these eBay sellers is a bit clueless
  International Postage Stamp For Sale
  Hairline in my Unitrade 138
  Fall River Philatelic Society STAMP SHOW, Saturday August 19, 2017 10AM-5PM

Globes
  Classifying Official/Penalty Envelopes
  Science-Fiction/Fantasy Stamps
  Cogwheels
  italy stamp imperf 1862-63 is this type I or type II,please help me identify?
  ship stamps
  Christmas Stamps of 1970 - Kiss Print or Double Print
  help me plate this scott 21 type III
  Scott 1700a or 1700e
  Guide lines and joint lines for coil pairs
  The Stamps of Turkey : On Steiner Pages.
  Lock Seals?
  Alaska Mass Flight Mail - 1934
  Early Ceylon with "CAVE" overprint
  Regency Stamps is just the latest in a long line of philatelic carpetbaggers and scalawags ...
  Private Mailing Card Act of May 19, 1898
  Booklet Pairs on Sweden Complicates Things
  What Was in YOUR Mailbox Today??
  One of these eBay sellers is a bit clueless
  need help to find value and if are good or rares stamps
  Over & underinked embossed covers and 1 cut square
  Ebay netflix tax now impossed on all Australian ebay sellers
  More cluelessness, as if no one was convinced yet
  Complete set of Australian Framas
  Lighthouses on Stamps

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.72 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05