Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Tall Ships On Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 246 / Views: 62,905Next Topic
Page: of 17
Valued Member
Spain
266 Posts
Posted 09/18/2010   4:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AndrewF31 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks!

It's amazing the amount of detail in the engraved stamps from Sweden (Slania and Mörck). These images are clearer and larger then my original stamps and easier to view for my eyes haha.

I was actually pretty amazed as I was going through my Norway folder to only find the ones I did. I don't have all stamps of Norway but I don't think I missed much if any of the boat stamps.

I have to find myself a decent scanner to get some of my Dutch stamps digitally archived.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
2573 Posts
Posted 09/18/2010   5:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add timbres667 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice sheet from France. "Bateaux célèbres" means "Famous ships"

Edited by timbres667 - 09/18/2010 5:20 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
2573 Posts
Posted 09/18/2010   5:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add timbres667 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Marco Polo ship and Marco Polo souvenir sheet cover showing Canada and Australia stamps

Edited by timbres667 - 10/06/2013 06:51 am
Valued Member
Spain
266 Posts
Posted 09/19/2010   06:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AndrewF31 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The French sheet is quite nice. The French post issues a lot of sheetlets like that I noticed as I've bought some more items from them.

The Canadian souvenir sheet from 1999 is also nice. It's a very original and cool way of making a joint issue.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1355 Posts
Posted 09/19/2010   06:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampgal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those 1981 Swedish Sailing Boats are exactly what I am looking for for my small wooden boats topical collection - Thankyou for posting! I'm off to scour the seven seas for a set...
Valued Member
Spain
266 Posts
Posted 09/19/2010   07:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AndrewF31 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Have a try at Delcampe. I just had a look and there's still a few out there. I've bought from 2 or 3 of the dealers that have this set without any issues (I won't publicize them in the thread, but if you want any recommendations, just email me).

If you're interested in small wooden boats, there's another 'booklet' set from Sweden from 1988 - Inland Boats from January 29:

If you don't have any from Sweden, I can have a closer look at my albums. Sweden issued quite a few and Norway as well. I don't have any spares though.
Edited by AndrewF31 - 09/19/2010 07:56 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1355 Posts
Posted 09/19/2010   08:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampgal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Andrew! These are exactly the type of thing that I love. I have been singling out small wooden boats that I just happen to find in my worldwide collection. The more I get into it, the more I will be searching out specifics. I love the nordic countries' stamps anyway. Coming from the North West of Scotland, there are such strong cultural links, maybe there's some stamp-loving Viking DNA in me somewhere!
Valued Member
Spain
266 Posts
Posted 09/19/2010   08:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AndrewF31 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hahah, you've just made my job more difficult as you mentioned Viking ships. I've seen a lot of those in my Sweden and Norway collections. It's no surprise since they have a rich history of Vikings. Luckily I don't have, yet, any really old items from Iceland, Finland or Denmark.

I'll go searching and upload some to post them here.

I warn you I'm a bit of a procrastinator, especially during the week (work...).
Valued Member
Spain
266 Posts
Posted 09/19/2010   12:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AndrewF31 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The only one I found from Sweden from 1930s to 1989 (that I have) was this:

1973 Ancient Art

And this one is art and not an actual photo of the boat.

There's also the 1979 Gota Canal set I posted in the Engravers topic.

Not exactly a gold mine!

Norway will have a few more.
Valued Member
Spain
266 Posts
Posted 09/19/2010   6:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AndrewF31 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Final installment: Norwegian vessels:

1941 Snorre Sturlason

1942 Rikard Nordraak

1947 Norwegian Post 300 years

1960 Ships

1963 Postal Service North Norway

1983 Boat Types

1991 Kristiansand (beautiful set)

1997 Petter Dass, a priest

That's what I can offer from my Norwegian collection.
Learn More...
United States
4702 Posts
Posted 09/21/2010   09:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They're all nice, but the ones from Sweden will be tough to beat.
KS
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1355 Posts
Posted 09/21/2010   10:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampgal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
stamp envy stamp envy stamp envy stamp envy
The small wooden ships seem to have hijacked the tall ships' thread. Aplogies from the flotilla....
But aren't they lovely..?
Thankyou so much for posting.
P.S. I just received the Swedish set from eBay....
stamp love stamp love stamp love stamp love
Edited by stampgal - 09/21/2010 10:56 am
Valued Member
Spain
266 Posts
Posted 09/21/2010   2:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AndrewF31 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good for you stampgal. Hope you can find the other sets you want as well.

And, Kirk, I totally agree, the Swedish ones are brilliant. I've fallen in love with engraved stamps. The 'photo' ones just don't do it for me unless they're amazing. While an engraved stamp always looks great.
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
Posted 09/22/2010   12:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jagsp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
i wanna post a stamp too.. this ones from tonga :)

Edited by jagsp - 09/22/2010 12:31 am
Valued Member
Netherlands
249 Posts
Posted 09/22/2010   12:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tinus_NL to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Me want that one too, jagsp...

Found a few in my own collection as well:

Page: of 17 Previous TopicReplies: 246 / Views: 62,905Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 9.89 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05