Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Russian Forgery??

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 2,134Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3551 Posts
Posted 08/20/2011   1:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jhlovell to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This stamp should be on vertically laid paper. I am not seeing any sign of vertical lines. The Scott catalog says forgeries exist. Can anyone help. I believe the stamp is trying to be Russia Scott #39. Gave you a front and back picture. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks - Jeff

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2995 Posts
Posted 08/20/2011   1:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jeff,

It's not Scott #39 as it has the thunderbolts over the post horns and the colours are wrong. It could be Scott #137, #137a or #137b if it has varnish lozenges on the front.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Nigel
Edited by nigelc - 08/20/2011 1:30 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3551 Posts
Posted 08/20/2011   2:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jhlovell to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Nigel. I don't know how to tell if there are varnish lozenges on the front, but I don't see another choices. Will look up varnised lozenges. Thanks again - Jeff
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6744 Posts
Posted 08/20/2011   2:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Look at the surface of the stamp under a good light at an angle, and slowly tilt the stamp. You should see the "glaze" on the surface at the opportune angle.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3551 Posts
Posted 08/20/2011   2:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jhlovell to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks checking. Jeff
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
30170 Posts
Posted 08/20/2011   11:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From a 2005 discussion:

by nick 01.02.05 04:36

Hello, hope you can help? I was referred by the webmaster of askphil. What is the best
way to detect lozenges of varnish on the face of early Russian stamps? In particular,
Scott #'s 137-138c of 1917. On some of the stamps using angels of light shows the
lozenges, on others nothing I have tried works, ex. magnification, watermark fluid,
signoscope, etc. Thank you very much for your time and consideration. Nick

02.02.05 18:16 added by Ivo Steijn

Holding the stamp at an angle to the light as you have done is, as far as I know, the
best method. Under UV light the network also shows up. If you're not seeing any
network it might be missing - this is a variety that's known for all 1909-1919 issues.

03.02.05 0:51 added by Gary

Introducing a high-resolution scan into a photo editing package offers many
possibilies to evaluate such issues as well.

Please send a scan and I will look at it from the "computer's" view. Ivo is correct in
that there are known varieties with the network missing.

03.02.05 13:3 added by Anatoly
Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
Posted 08/23/2011   01:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kmncd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah... those lozenges are sometimes a diamond shaped puzzles,I onces came across early RSFSR issue of sword breaking chain with the partially missing one,but out of my dumminess(don't know if this is the word)I kept looking at it for maybe a month or so,with mindset of either there is one,or not... and forgot about 50/50 chance and thought my eyes were playing tricks on me :P
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3551 Posts
Posted 08/25/2011   10:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jhlovell to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod thanks, did not know I could use UV light. Will check when I get home. Great idea and thanks for passing it on. - Jeff
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 2,134Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05