Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

GB : Penny Red ID Instruction Please.

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 14,211Next Topic
Page: of 3
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 12/10/2019   4:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bobby. Plate 69.

Quote:
Which catalogue are you using? My SG doesn't end prices at plate 165

Hi Nigel,
Stanley Gibbons Concise Stamp Album 2012
I havn't read the forward no doubt it is in there somewhere.
It's rather astonishing it is not noted at the end of the plate numbers.

Well, there's my monumental fail for this year Yikes.
They are there to Plate 225. Staring me in the face.
"Forest for the trees" excuse.......or, "catalogue blindness"

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 12/10/2019 4:53 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
648 Posts
Posted 12/10/2019   5:29 pm  Show Profile Check 64idgaf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 64idgaf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

Do you want to borrow the 'Guide Lines to the Penny Black? I have the Billigs version.

I also have complete 1d plates (ex '77, of course) that I am prepared to part with. Assembled in 1944.

John
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 12/10/2019   6:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi John,
That is mighty neighbourly of you, thank you.
Penny Black: Perhaps no, may be a waste of postage, I have planned in June 2020, to go shopping for the complete Billigs, something I have wanted for 20 years. I have planned to budget $1,000 towards the purchase, however with the current Aussie dollar, it may be well into double that.

The Penny red plates, not sure what you mean by that, it has a feel of being very expensive, I have a reasonable collection of GB, but prices have outstripped my journey, I can no longer afford the Imperforates or the "Stars".
I now lean towards GB periphery material, like Stitt Dibden etc.
Material that offers interest, without denting the wallet.

I am primarily a worldwide collector, with better collections of Turkey, Romania, Canada, and Great Britain.
My Penny Red Library has only the following.....

Rod.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
648 Posts
Posted 12/10/2019   6:30 pm  Show Profile Check 64idgaf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 64idgaf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

I have the full set of Billigs books. They are easy anough to get up to the mid '30s, harder after that. I was so lucky that volume 44, the one for the penny blacks and the hardest to find -was listed for sale by a seller breaking up a whole set. He cut-and-pasted the description for vol 43 in his listing for Vol 44 and the only clue to it being Vol 44 was the poor scan.

From memory, he had bought the complete set for not much at a yard sale.

$5 plus postage, well spent.

I'll keep my eyes open for you. Mine were well under $1,000 all up about ten years ago. The good old days when sea freight was available.
Edited by 64idgaf - 12/10/2019 6:33 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 12/10/2019   6:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have the full set of Billigs books.

You lucky so and so......

Quote:
I'll keep my eyes open for you.

Please do, bearing in mind June 2020.

Leonard Hartmann (US) can usually source Billigs, but freight, as you say, is going to be a nightmare.

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
648 Posts
Posted 12/10/2019   6:37 pm  Show Profile Check 64idgaf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 64idgaf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

Set up your eBay search, this sold a month ago: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Billig-039...047675.l2557

Cheap!
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 12/10/2019   6:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I shall John, Thanks!

But $107 AUD for a Billigs? that's cheap? (I am guessing as its a 44)
(Groan)
There goes the son's inheritance...

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
648 Posts
Posted 12/10/2019   7:17 pm  Show Profile Check 64idgaf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 64idgaf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is, by far, the hardest to get. The book was only $US18.

Do you have a contact in the US? It would be easier to have it delivered to a US-based person and sort out shipping from there.

Get some discounted US mint postage, $200 becomes $100 right there.

You are welcome to borrow mine at any time, if you want. I don't make that offer to many people, either.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 12/10/2019   8:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Get some discounted US mint postage, $200 becomes $100 right there.

See, that's why we follow SCF, someone always has the smarts..Nice one!
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1499 Posts
Posted 12/10/2019   11:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod,

Billig's Vols 1-29 here for US$995

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Bo...rp1-_-title1

Maybe bookmark for future reference?

Now, plating 1d stars.

The goto reference is Dr. Statham's work, available through Eric Paul and isn't cheap, and to be fair, nor should it be. It's a staggering amount of work.

http://www.ericpaul.co.uk/booksample.html

Scans of the registration sheets are here:

http://www.gbps.org.uk/information/...tion-sheets/

Plate 81 is missing.

These scans naturally are missing those stamps cut from the sheet. If the lettering on your stamp is missing from the registration sheet, try here:

http://www.maltesex.com/missing_imprimatur/

In many many cases, the missing stamps are from the A row and also stamp TL, so if you have these letters, try the last link first!

Hope this helps
Edited by Bobby De La Rue - 12/10/2019 11:38 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 12/11/2019   12:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cheers Bobby,
your Abe books link does not work.
I'll Google and visit, I have bought from Abe Books many times before.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1499 Posts
Posted 12/11/2019   12:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My apologies Rod. The seller is Poor Man's Books in Vineland, New Jersey.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 12/11/2019   02:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Accepted
(The apology, not the books) :)
$32 shipping to Oz? that has to be a mistake.
Edited by rod222 - 12/11/2019 02:44 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1499 Posts
Posted 12/11/2019   04:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Abebooks base the quoted shipping on 2lbs / 1KG weight.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5774 Posts
Posted 12/11/2019   10:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have it in my head that my 1-44 set was 48 pounds as packed for shipping. It's been quite some time but I'd guess that the box was about 18 to 20 inches on each side. That should get you pretty close with a shipping calculator.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 14,211Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05