Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Early Mail : Criss Cross Letters.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27457 Posts
Posted 08/24/2012   11:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rod222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
James recently posted a postcard with criss cross
writing, it's the latest I have ever seen, but is odd
in that it's not stamped?
If the sender sent the card in a cover, you would think he/she
would have written inside that.

Anyhows, for the record, here is an example beautiful criss cross writing..

ack: A first guide to stamp collecting-Neill granger Oxford Uni Press 1994

Send note to Staff
Edited by rod222 - 08/24/2012 11:41 am

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4577 Posts
Posted 08/24/2012   11:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting Rod

I think it would have been a little difficult to read at times, but, obviously this was done more frequently that most would realize.

Chimo

Bujutsu
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27457 Posts
Posted 08/24/2012   12:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed Bujutsu, but different times,
plenty of time to read and work out what was being said
Letters would have been absolutely treasured.

I recall reading of the Duke of York's letters home from Portugal
when he was fighting Napoleon, 3 weeks was considered fast.
Prior to the penny post, letters were very expensive, well out of reach
of the common man I should think.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6407 Posts
Posted 08/24/2012   12:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
James recently posted a postcard with criss cross
writing, it's the latest I have ever seen, but is odd
in that it's not stamped?
If the sender sent the card in a cover, you would think he/she
would have written inside that.

Rod there were several other cards in the lot also addressed and filled out with remarks, but no postage. Don't know how the recipient got them. They were all to the same lady.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1227 Posts
Posted 08/24/2012   12:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mhc99 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a link to some more info on criss crossed letters:

http://www.earsathome.com/webgil/xltr.html
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27457 Posts
Posted 08/24/2012   12:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent mhc,
the webmasters are SCF members, Ron and Eunice :)
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
650 Posts
Posted 08/24/2012   12:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canadianphilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod I have to say the letter you posted is a beauty. To me it is simply a work of art.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
966 Posts
Posted 08/24/2012   3:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chipg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is one of my favorite covers:

And this is the write-up/translation:
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6407 Posts
Posted 08/24/2012   4:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
chip, that is a wonderful letter. What are the squiggles (technical term) inside the box next to the addressees name, beside Fairfield, Conn.?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
966 Posts
Posted 08/24/2012   4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chipg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The "squiggles" are shorthand (phonography). There are more in the little scroll at the top left.

See: http://phono.cgpostal.com/

Here's a mailer from one of the larger publishers of phonographic texts:
Edited by chipg - 08/24/2012 4:18 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5877 Posts
Posted 08/24/2012   4:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can see why, very lovely!
APS Member #: 222539 AAPE, Maplewood Stamp Club (MN), Northern Philatelic Society, US Philatelic Classics Society, Auxiliary Markings Club, Canal Zone Study Group, Minnesota Postal History Society
Pillar Of The Community
2361 Posts
Posted 08/24/2012   7:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add doug2222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In some cases, criss-crossing meant the writer had only one sheet of paper but two pages worth of news. Out in the boonies, before the Civil War, paper was expensive and hard to find.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27457 Posts
Posted 08/24/2012   10:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What a wonderful exhibit Chip.
Rather awe inspiring.
Where do you go when you begin research on this sort of thing?
It would make a nice story methinks.

Pitman's shorthand was (the) method in my time,
I recall my sister having Spirax notebooks full of those squiggles.
I hadn't come across "phonogrophy" in that sense before.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
966 Posts
Posted 08/25/2012   09:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chipg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Re: Cross writing - Until 1847, postage was charged based on the mileage and number of sheets of paper, regardless of the size. That's one reason why envelopes were not used - they would have doubled the postage charges due. Likewise, if you enclosed 2 banknotes in a folded lettersheet, you'd be paying 3x the postage.

Cross writing was one way to double the amount you could write and not incur additional postage charges.

Re: Phonography. Start with one cool-looking cover, decide that it needs some company, search around for 10 years or so, get proficient with the Google machine to learn enough to write it up. (c.f. maps - http://maps.cgpostal.com)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05