Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hungary Central 3 Hole Perforations

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 4,321Next Topic  
Valued Member

Germany
132 Posts
Posted 01/07/2013   4:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add heinz55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Can anyone give a reason why the top and the last stamp are perforated this way? The 3rd hole in the top stamp is on top of the 1st "A".
thank you!
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1342 Posts
Posted 01/07/2013   4:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There's an explanation in the Scott catalog. Unfortunately, NSCH.

Cheers, Robert
(NSCH=no Scott catalog handy)

P.S. Unless somebody beats me to it, I can post the explanation in a few hours.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Trainwreck - 01/07/2013 5:02 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5796 Posts
Posted 01/07/2013   5:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott says that from 1921 to 1924, the two center rows of panes were punched on some stamps sold at post offices.

If dealers and collectors wanted unpunched stamps, they had to buy them at the philatelic agency at 10% over face.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5114 Posts
Posted 01/07/2013   8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They are called ---HARAMASLYUKKAL,and I have a collection of those three pin cancel perforations.
Valued Member
Germany
132 Posts
Posted 01/08/2013   3:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add heinz55 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thank you all for the precious information.
Now of course I must ponder the decision if and how to show them in my collection.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5796 Posts
Posted 01/08/2013   4:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say proudly show them as genuine postal-system history. That's how they were purchased and used.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
737 Posts
Posted 01/09/2013   3:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ryan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's an article about these three-hole perfins. It's interesting to me as I haven't yet come across the SG listing which values these perfins at three times the value of the non-perfinned equivalent. As the author mentions, however, that isn't too useful since the non-perfinned stamps are almost always given the minimum catalogue value. Still, it's a good indication that the three-hole perfins are tougher to find.

http://www.angelfire.com/pr/perfins...cts/1656.pdf

Ryan
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2458 Posts
Posted 01/09/2013   3:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They are collectable but 3-times-nil is still approximately nil.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5114 Posts
Posted 01/09/2013   4:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
RYAN----Thanks for that link,I downloaded it and now have a check list .thanks again .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5114 Posts
Posted 01/10/2013   09:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Got a e-mail from a reader of this board ,he says these three-pin punchs are now listed in the SCOTT 2012 CLASSIC SPECIALIZED CATALOG ,duh !! --feel dumb ,that I didn't check my own catalog before posting above .
Now this beg the question ,will all the PRE-1940 collectors and especially those who use STEINER pages will start looking to add these unusal stamps to their collection .Now the good news -----they are all cheap according to the 2012 catalog .
As for myself ,with the link RYAN posted here and the Scott listing im going to redo my pages before many more collectors jump in ,for some of you if your looking for a new classic area to collect ,and complete it for less than $50.00 this would be interesting .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1342 Posts
Posted 01/20/2014   3:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This thread inspired me to look through my collection and dig out these varieties. So, I present my meager collection of Hungary 3-hole punched stamps.

Robert

Edit: Re-uploaded original image to replace Photobucket stock image.
Edited by Trainwreck - 03/26/2018 8:32 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1342 Posts
Posted 06/21/2014   1:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've done some research into these issues to determine how many different stamps have these holes. The Scott catalog is a good starting point, but it is incomplete. It's missing 5 official stamps with the 3-hole punch. I can't speak for the completeness of the S.G. or Michel catalogs. The most complete list, in my opinion, is the list in the May 1971 issue of The Perfins Bulletin. You can access that issue here: http://www.perfins.org/the-perfin-bulletin/. There are 100 different stamps on that list (not including the overprinted issues of Western Hungary).

The compiler of the list is L.S. Ettre. He wrote several articles in The Perfins Bulletin about these stamps. Check out the following issues if you would like more information: March 1971, May 1971, June 1971, November-December 1974, July-August 1976.

Good hunting, Robert
Hungary
3 Posts
Posted 07/04/2014   08:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mtatu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are so called "triple-hole punches" used between 1921 and 1946 un Hungary. The punches were applied to the 80% of the sheets on the stamps in the two middle rows. The purpose was to block the illegal trade of the complete sheets towards the collectors, because it was assumed that the stapms with holes loose their values for the collectors. Of course the target was not achieved for long term. While the punched stamps were really neglected by the collectors (therefore a lot of punched stamps were destroyed) after a decade or so these stamps became part of the collections and due to their relative rarity they got higher values than the unpunched ones. The Hungarian catalog presents separate prices for the "triplehole" stamps, and if you ar interested I can send a scan of the related pages with the recent prices.
Bye, Greg
Edited by Mtatu - 07/04/2014 09:06 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1342 Posts
Posted 07/08/2014   09:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm interested in seeing the scans of the relevant pages. Not so much for the values, but to see what issues the Hungarian catalog lists. I have some conflicting information as to which stamps received the central 3-hole punches.

Thanks, Robert
Hungary
3 Posts
Posted 07/10/2014   1:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mtatu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here you can download the scans in PDF during the next five days:

http://s3.toldacuccot.hu/en/downloa...unch_HUN.pdf

http://s3.toldacuccot.hu/en/downloa...+due_HUN.pdf

It is in Hungarian, but with Google translate you can find out quite a lot. I highlighted with yellow the sections of "hármaslyuk" (triplehole) or "hármaslyukasztás" (triplehole punch). The are two columns marked at each set: the first shows the prices of the never hinged, the other one if for used stamps. Where no prices are indicated, no triplehole stamp is known with that denomination. These are actual prices and are given in HUF (Hungarian forints). 1 USD is about 220 HUF.
Write me if you have questions!
Greg
Edited by Mtatu - 07/10/2014 1:51 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 4,321Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05