Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1916 1c Green Postcard

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Kuwait
7 Posts
Posted 06/27/2013   12:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rudy3107 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have this 1916 1c Green postcard

Similar type sold at HR Harmer Auction for 3000$; [ http://www.paulfrasercollectibles.c...age?catid=80 ]

How to check its real value or this is also same Card.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3284 Posts
Posted 06/27/2013   01:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Read the description on HR Harmer carefully:

"The 1c Green, printed from Die I, is affixed to grey rough-surfaced card, which is in pristine condition with sharp corners."

Do you have Die 1 and grey rough-surface?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1585 Posts
Posted 06/27/2013   04:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mike33 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"The card features no printed address, which is an extremely scarce find - the cards were only sold to printers for addressing in full sheets, between December 1916 and February 1917, and none were sold singly at the post office."

that I didn't know. Think I have several blank ones too
Valued Member
Kuwait
7 Posts
Posted 06/27/2013   04:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rudy3107 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
it look similar the photo they posted.
i dunno what DIE 1 is, because of its age it turned little off white and in photo it look yellowish. but it look perfectly new with sharp ends, as its in a plastic cover.

i sent email to HR Harmer, lets see if they answer.

Thank you guys.
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 06/27/2013   06:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
MIKE:

Quote:
"The card features no printed address, which is an extremely scarce find - the cards were only sold to printers for addressing in full sheets, between December 1916 and February 1917, and none were sold singly at the post office."

Is that true? I don't have any idea because this not my area of study but I have quite a few of these blank. Think they are worth anything?
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 06/27/2013   07:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As mentioned earlier, the rare card is the UX27C that is on "gray, rough surfaced" paper that has a $4000 unused value (2011 Scott Specialized) and is die 1.

The common card, which is what I believe is scanned above, is a UX27, on "buff" paper, also die 1, which is valued at only 25 cents.

The likelihood that the card scanned above is the rare variety is very remote, as has been mentioned, they were only available in full sheets for three months and none were sold singly at the post office. They are on what was known to be "emergency paper" during the start of World War I and one auction site suggests that only 33 mint faced cards are known to exist. Compare that with the common variety that was sold in the tens (if not hundreds) of millions during that same period. If you carefully look at the auction site listing you will see a distinct color variety of the gray, rough surfaced paper which is distinctly different from the common variety that is typically found on "buff" paper.
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 06/27/2013   07:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The common card, which is what I believe is scanned above, is a UX27, on "buff" paper, also die 1, which is valued at only 25 cents.

OK I thought Mike was just talking about the actual card he was showing then. Thank you.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
620 Posts
Posted 06/27/2013   07:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pjsstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen the UX27C. Your example is the not that. The gray rough surface paper is very rare.
Valued Member
Kuwait
7 Posts
Posted 06/27/2013   07:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rudy3107 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
i will post if HR harmer reply to my mail, I also wrote to other Auctionists.
i will post clear scan and check its surface.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5877 Posts
Posted 06/27/2013   3:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Mr. Pjsstamps, would you be able to provide a scan of the card for reference purposes?
APS Member #: 222539 AAPE, Maplewood Stamp Club (MN), Northern Philatelic Society, US Philatelic Classics Society, Auxiliary Markings Club, Canal Zone Study Group, Minnesota Postal History Society
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2478 Posts
Posted 06/27/2013   4:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tomiseksj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Philatelic Foundation database has certified 13 UX27C -- their images can be viewed at http://pfsearch.org/pfsearch/pf_grd...lledfrom=lkp

Of the 13 examples, only 3 have printed addresses.
Edited by tomiseksj - 06/27/2013 6:51 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
620 Posts
Posted 06/27/2013   4:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pjsstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Smauggie,I don't own it. I saw at in an exhibit and also Lowell (Maplewood club) has a book with a picture of it. He may even have one. His postal stationary and postal card collection is pretty amazing and much more detailed than I knew was possible. He has dozens of varieties of specific postal cards where Scott's doesn't even list varieties.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5877 Posts
Posted 06/27/2013   4:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I did a Philatelic Foundation search and came up with this:

Apparently the grey paper causes the green imprint to look darker than normal.

APS Member #: 222539 AAPE, Maplewood Stamp Club (MN), Northern Philatelic Society, US Philatelic Classics Society, Auxiliary Markings Club, Canal Zone Study Group, Minnesota Postal History Society
Valued Member
United States
428 Posts
Posted 06/28/2013   11:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jobi01 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
UX27, the 1c green postal card, was in use from 1914 to 1950 with a suspension of use during the war when the postal card rate was 2c. There are 6 main varieties and more than 7 paper varieties of the common card. A paper shortage in 1916 caused a temporary switch to the rough gray card stock which almost feels like coarse blotter paper. The common card occurs on off-white stock which has frequently been misrepresented by the greedy as the scarce war paper issues.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
550 Posts
Posted 08/03/2013   1:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SueStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Everyone,
I bought 19 of these green Jefferson postal cards this morning, each for one cent a piece at the local stamp store!

Anyway, reading the thread above mine, I read that this card was produced from 1914 to 1950, how can one determine the date? I will take a guess that all 19 of mine are from the 1950's but still to me, a great deal!

By the way, I also bought a full sheet (50) of the 1 cent Roosevelt Hyde #930 at face value, so the MNH sheet cost me $0.50 ! !

And, MNH 2c Battle of Fallen Timbers, but it was in a bin marked DOUBLE FACE, so this cost me 4 cents, darn it!
Sue

Edited by SueStamps - 08/03/2013 1:44 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
765 Posts
Posted 08/03/2013   4:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add guykickinit to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wish I had a local stamp store!
Member COPC.
Redmond, OR 97756 Mailer's Postmark Permit #1
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05