Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

France "Broken Arm" Sower

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 19,230Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3697 Posts
Posted 09/21/2013   7:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Partime to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Picked up a stock book, and saw this item in there. What do you think? A listed variety, a very poor printing job, or a very poor counterfeit? Part of the arm is definitely in the wrong place, along with other obvious printing faults.

Side-by-side

Just the arm

The entire stamp

(Partial c in 5c, missing bottom of L, odd hair texture, etc.)
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5286 Posts
Posted 09/21/2013   8:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a fake ,but it could be a postal forgery ,which would make it valuable to a collector .
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
293 Posts
Posted 09/21/2013   9:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sirruspoe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, I'm no expert so bear that in mind when I mention stuff or ask questions. Does the "real" one to left have two outer borders on the left side? I do not see that on the one on the right. Or does the one on the left have a double transfer, or reentry? Is that what it is called? And how did people fake the paper of the stamps, as I can see the threads of the paper on both examples?

Sirrus
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3697 Posts
Posted 09/21/2013   9:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another "real" one from my collection. Yes, the border on the left is double or even triple, depending how you look at it.

Valued Member
Denmark
435 Posts
Posted 09/22/2013   1:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicalStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is not listed in my Gethin book about 20th Century French forgeries. Might be a plate flaw?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3697 Posts
Posted 09/22/2013   10:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for checking. If it is a plate flaw, it is extensive. I'm leaning towards poor ink quality, maybe moisture got into it somehow? Anyhow, pretty unique and will have a place in my collection.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4596 Posts
Posted 09/23/2013   11:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice stamp partime.

Maybe sometime in the near future, the stamp might relegate a new listing as a variety in the different catalogues used?

It is a well pronounced variety and it stands right out. Even if it gets plate flaw variety, that would be ok too, but, then again, it has to be a constant variety. Still a nice stamp regardless. I will have to check through my French "Sowers".

Chimo

Bujutsu
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3697 Posts
Posted 10/02/2013   11:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just for fun, I emailed Yvert and got this response:

"Hello,
It's a real poor inking. A spécial stp.

E.Guffroy
Directeur de la philatélie
Yvert & Tellier"

Very nice of them to reply so quickly.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4596 Posts
Posted 10/02/2013   12:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good for you.

Even as a 'poor inked' variety, it is still worth keeping and entering into and EFO album, or, keep in a French album as such.

Chimo

Bujutsu
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 19,230Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05