Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Which Philatelic Periodicals Do You Read?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 4,334Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1755 Posts
Posted 01/01/2009   9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add David Giles to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I get a lot of my information from philatelic periodicals, so I thought I'd start this thread to see what you read.

My main periodicals I read (devour?) are Linn's Stamp News & The American Philatelist. I really enjoy Linn's for all the recent stamp news, particularily for the modern U.S., including recent finds. There is so much interesting material in Linn's I read it a few times over. I also use the Trading Posthorn in Linn's and some of the classified advertising.

I enjoy the broad range of philatelic stories in The American Philatelist. Ocassionally, they print a very descriptive and informative article on one of my collecting interests, so I clip that article and ad it to my reference library.

The other items I read and subscribe to is an 8-page, bimonthly pamphlet titled "Sixth Sense". I pay $25 U.S. for a subscription to this pamphlet, which is printed by Murray Payne of Somerset, U.K. It has a VERY detailed article about a given stamp or country of the KGVI reign of the British Commonwealth. It would probably bore most of you, but it is at the very high philatelic level that I study these stamps... so it's a real treat for me. That was not meant to sound snobbish, nor uppity; please do not take the last paragraph as such.

Of course, as a member of the Society of Costa Rica Collectors, I get the quarterly publication "The Oxcart", which enhances my collecting pleasure of Costa Rica, and constantly teaches me things to watch for.

Lastly, I get the quarterly publication from the Mourning Stamps and Covers Club. I keep the newsletter in my reference library to refer to the odd time.

I trade my Linn's Stamp News with a fellow at the OPS for his Canadian Stamp News. It's a quick read and not much in there for me (I don't collect Canada, outside of my KGVI interest) so there is not a whole lot in it for me. It does keep me up-to-date enough on the Canadian stamp scene, but it's not something I'd subscribe to.

Lastly, I see the odd copy of The Canadian Philatelist, the journal of the Royal Philatelic Society of Canada. It's not great, but I do take a peek at it the odd time.

So..... what do you folks read?

David
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1259 Posts
Posted 01/01/2009   9:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add djd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi David
my big read is the "American philatelist"
The Journal of the A.P.S.
I Have every copy For The Last twenty five years.
I also research quite a bit on the net,tons of information out there
I do not subscribe to any other Papers ,but do pick them up
from time to time.
When I operated a retail Store I did carry the Canadian Stamp News
And Linn's the later being the most informative.
DJD
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
USA
3315 Posts
Posted 01/01/2009   10:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add laswabbie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have a real life, so I read a lot. In addition to the journals of the APS, GPS, ATA, and ISGC, I have subscriptions to Linn's, Scott Stamp Monthly, and in many ways my favorite, The American Stamp Dealer and Collector.

When my subscription runs out, I'm probably going to drop Linn's and pick up Global Stamp News and/or Mekeel's and Stamps Magazine. I find there is a lot of duplication between Linn's and SSM.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2972 Posts
Posted 01/01/2009   10:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperdude to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also get Linn's and The Philelist. Occasionally I would pick up Scott stamp monthly, but now I can't find it locally. At a club meeting I may get Mekeel's if I see an interesting article. I will also pick up anything free at a stamp show, you never know when you'll find new info or collecting interest
Pillar Of The Community
USA
2866 Posts
Posted 01/02/2009   12:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I read these in my car while waiting for traffic lights to change in Cambridge, Mass.

Linn's Stamp News
The American Philatelist (journal of the American Philatelic Society)
The American Revenuer (journal of the American Revenue Association)
The Chronicle (journal of the US Philatelic Classics Society)
The Confederate Philatelist (journal of the Confederate Stamp Alliance)

My trunk is full of back issues and auction catalogs.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
907 Posts
Posted 01/02/2009   08:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WpgLwr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't subscribe to anything, and when I read something philatelic, it's usually just an impulse purchase at a book store. In order of preference:

Canadian Stamp News
Stanley Gibbons Stamp Monthly
Scott Stamp Monthly.

Rarely, the APS Journal -- when the guys who run the Junior Stamp Club (which I take my daughter and stepson to every couple of weeks when it meets) bring in a bunch.

Valued Member
United States
267 Posts
Posted 01/02/2009   09:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add the_stampaholic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My subscription to Linn's runs out Jan.9,2009. Had to choose between Linn's and APS.Didn't have money for both. Since I had been wanting to become an APS member for 30 years and I had just become one this last August, I chose the APS.
Linn's, maybe later.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1566 Posts
Posted 01/02/2009   10:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mkfarm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott Stamp Monthly Magazine
Pillar Of The Community
USA
1749 Posts
Posted 01/02/2009   10:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gussyboy1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I get Linn's Stamp News--I also enjoy reading it, BUT hate all the advertisements (yet understand that without the advertisements there would probably be no stamp news.) I also search online for new info here and there.

Gussyboy1
Nobody gets in to see the Wizard. Not nobody. Not No How!"
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4610 Posts
Posted 02/23/2010   3:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I read the Canadian Stamp News, Scotts Monthly and bulletins from the BNAPS, RPSC, TPO & SS, the TPC journals, plus I have kept journals of those societies I have once belonged to in the past.

The ones from the past include some APS, WCC and ARA journals.

I used to get the Gibbons Monthly in a store right in town here but the store has since gone out of business and I no longer get it but would if it was still open.

Cheers

Bujutsu

Pillar Of The Community
Israel
6191 Posts
Posted 02/23/2010   4:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Apart from Linn's Online free subscription I mentioned elsewhere I do get the following:

British Philatelic Bulletin.....Monthly journal of Royal Mail [UK].

Stamp Lover...Bi-Monthly magazine of the National Philatelic Society [London] of which I am a member.

The Bookmark...Bi-monthly journal of the Modern British Philatelic Circle. Also a member. The Bookmark incorporates Deegam's Updates into it's issues.

Atalaya...Swedish-based English language Cinderella journal issued twice yearly.

I also buy about 4 copies each year of the magazines available in the UK. Stamp Magazine; Gibbons Stamp Monthly and Stamp and Coin Mart.

I have to say I am a magazine freak at times. I keep them all, they are a great reference. If I see any others at shows,fairs or bookstalls/newsagents I will buy them.
Occasioanlly I can pick up a Scotts or The Australian Stamp News here in Israel. Also the US-based Israel Philatelist is sometimes available. An excellent read.

Londonbus1.....Soon to join the Cinderella Stamp Club !
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9748 Posts
Posted 02/23/2010   5:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lets see, I read just about anything philatelic I can get my hands on...i receive the American Philatelist and El Quetzal through memberships...i pick up Linns and Scotts Monthly and sometimes a Global Stamp News at our club meetings..one of our fellow chat board members sends me the Canadian Stamp News which is an interesting little read..i used to read more publications but they went out of business !!
APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36255 Posts
Posted 02/23/2010   7:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yelling up from down under,
my poison like most, is what I can get my dirty mits on.
"Australian Stamp News" "Australian Stamp Monthly"
"Australian Stamps Professional" (albeit I am not enamoured
by the "Ozzie" vernacular in this magazine ,it is somehow demeaning.
Odd issues of "Philately in Australia" are treasured when secured from auctions, these are the real deal, the journalism is elevated.
"Australian Stamp Bulletin" from Aust Post is obligatory for new issues.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1755 Posts
Posted 02/23/2010   8:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add David Giles to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Global Stamp News & Scott Stamp Monthly are tough to get here... and cost prohibitive on the subscriptin side... I really do enjoy those publications.

When I got back into collecting in the late 1980s, I used to purchase Canadian Stamp News... but who remembers the newspaper "Stamp Collector" from the U.S. I liked that, too... but it went out-of-business in the mid-1990s, if I recall correctly.

David
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1997 Posts
Posted 02/23/2010   10:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jubilee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I miss the Australian Stamp Monthly. I only subscribe to Stamp News here in Australia now. Nothing else is available over the counter within a hundred miles from here.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36255 Posts
Posted 02/23/2010   10:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Where abouts do you live Jubilee? What State?
Stamp Monthly is defunct now, that and Stamp News were closely aligned?
Cheers
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 4,334Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.26 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05