Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Opinion Of Ckstamps On Ebay?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 6,887Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
49 Posts
Posted 02/06/2014   6:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add glchen to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What is the general opinion of ckstamps on eBay? If they state that a stamps is original gum, never hinged, and do not mention that it is re-perforated, are they generally correct? Or do they make a lot of mistakes on whether a stamps has original gum or is regummed, etc? Thanks!
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6270 Posts
Posted 02/06/2014   6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My experience with that seller has been good although limited. Remember most eBay sellers are exactly that, sellers not experts.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1077 Posts
Posted 02/06/2014   6:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Al E. Gator to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen items they have listed with obvious flaws, and some not so obvious flaws, showing in the scan, that they do not note in their description. I've also seen stamps listed incorrectly--wrong number but similiar in design such as a #22 listed as a #24 etc. I'd be cautious about their listings.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2455 Posts
Posted 02/06/2014   8:16 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are very few sellers on eBay that are able, and even fewer are willing to correctly describe what they sell. Ckstamps is probably just not able. I used to think they weren't very honest but I have a slightly better opinion of them these days. Just don't expect them to identify or describe their stamps accurately.
Pillar Of The Community
1849 Posts
Posted 02/06/2014   9:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kevin504 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've also seen stamps listed incorrectly--wrong number but similiar in design such as a #22 listed as a #24 etc. I'd be cautious about their listings

Al E Gator....that is not really bad. If he/she was not sure at least they listed as the less expensive variety and not the other way around.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
620 Posts
Posted 02/06/2014   9:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pjsstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have bought from CKStamps many times. He goes through so much material I don't think he spends much time with identification. When in doubt always figure the variety shown is the least expensive variety of that stamp. He has had a lot of imperf and part perf revs that had very thin margins. My guess is they are trimmed perf stamps. I would never buy a part perf or imperf rev online unless it had at least three fat margins no matter how good a deal it is.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1077 Posts
Posted 02/06/2014   10:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Al E. Gator to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Kevin, Yes, in that senario it was beneficial to bidders; just saying you need to be careful. He/she could just as easily list something the otherway around and if a bidder didn't really know the difference, it could go the other way and the buyer not get the item he/she thought it was. I'm not really "casting stones", there are good items that you can get from CKStamps--you just need to be careful and check the images vs. the descriptions.
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 02/07/2014   02:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've never had a problem with this seller. I know what I'm looking for in advance though and don't rely on descriptions alone.
Valued Member
United States
145 Posts
Posted 02/07/2014   12:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fimpster to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've had a few successful purchases from CKStamps.

EDIT: I will also add that they aren't always my first choice for certain items simply because they are a very popular seller, and this can cause hammer prices to be higher than other smaller sellers. Just my 2.
Edited by fimpster - 02/07/2014 12:33 pm
Rest in Peace
United States
1225 Posts
Posted 02/07/2014   1:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add artlaunier to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, I kinda like this guy. He often makes identification errors, like a 20 or 22 for a 24 and when I spot them I'll put in a generous bid for a 24. Nor does he has time to look for varieties, again, to my advantage. My focus is on the One Cent Franklin so I tend to just look for these.

Art
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. (The exact & entire wording of the 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
845 Posts
Posted 02/07/2014   4:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HungaryForStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
CKStamps is one of my favorite sellers, but I only buy collections, so I don't expect the individual stamps to be identified (and they aren't) or necessarily all in great shape or even in the correct places in the albums/pages. So all I want/expect from them is reliability of delivering the exact stamps shown in the photos (regardless of whether the collection correctly identified the stamps). However, I haven't bought anything from them recently.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1077 Posts
Posted 02/07/2014   5:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Al E. Gator to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Art, I suspect you've out-bid me on most of the 1-cent mis-identifed Franklins--or maybe Ray did if you didn't.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
788 Posts
Posted 02/07/2014   8:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acanalizo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I suggest you ask the seller any questions you have. That leaves a clear trail to recover in case there is a problem.
Valued Member
United States
49 Posts
Posted 02/08/2014   2:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add glchen to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, I appreciate all of the responses. I'm trying to collect US MNH, OG stamps that aren't reperfed, but unfortunately, I'm a novice, so I'm not very good at identifying these even though I've read some of the ways to do this online. For some of the guides, they say if you handle enough stamps of that variety, you will come to know whether it's original gum or not, (or even if it's authentic) etc, but I simply don't have that experience. So I was looking for a reliable eBay stamp seller who would be far more knowledgeable than me on this, and has reasonable prices. ckstamps seems to have a lot of the stamps that I would want to buy, which was why I was wondering if they would be a good choice. Thanks again!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1035 Posts
Posted 02/08/2014   6:07 pm  Show Profile Check ray.mac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ray.mac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ckstamps, Kenny Chen, has refunded my money when I've asked, but he also said in an email that I need to look closer at the photos. He'll refund, but if there is an obvious problem, he expects you to notice it.

That's a major problem, IMO, when sellers or dealers, don't give any type of a description. If there is a flaw, they need to note that.

At the same time, agree with Art and with Winston that he is honest and if there's a problem, he'll refund your money. And he does definitely make mistakes on ID, however that takes care of itself, because if he lists a 24 that is really a 20 or 22, most of the folks that are chasing these stamps will bid up to where the 20 or 22 will sell.

Since there is no description, I would very much hesitate to purchase MNH stamps expecting that the stamp has never been regummed or reperfed. I've seen a lot of his stuff that I suspected a reperf job, and I'm not very good at noticing reperfs.....but at the same time if it is found to be regummed or reperfed, money back with no problem.

Hope this helps, Ray
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3819 Posts
Posted 02/09/2014   05:43 am  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great topic I have really enjoyed it but!

Quote:
If there is a flaw, they need to note that.

A flaw is something very good on a stamp and it increases the stamps value!

A fault is something that refers to a stamp being damaged.

These two terms I try very hard not to use when selling because most buyers have not got a clue on how to understand a proper description.

I used the word fault on an ink disturbance on a Australia 2 pound roo with a max value of $70 it sold for over $300 because the buyer though fault meant flaw. He was bid up to that price so others......
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 6,887Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05