Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Nevada State Revenue Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 4,668Next Topic  
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 03/31/2014   11:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wt1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In an earlier thread, Southpaw posted some State Revenue stamps, including these from the State of Nevada:

Some might be interested to know that I just came across this Meekel's Stamp News article from 1915 that helps to explain their usage:

Send note to Staff

Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 03/31/2014   12:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome stamps and great info! Thanks for all your hard work!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
747 Posts
Posted 03/31/2014   1:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southpaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great job - interesting write-up. An exhaustive listing of these issues was done by Michael Mahler. It is available as a pdf on revenuer.org. Click on Articles and Research and you'll be able to find it. I used this as a basis of working up my Nevada Revenues album pages. Information can also be found in the 1910 United States State Revenue Stamps handbook on archive.org. just google handbookchecklis00bart.pdf and you will find it!
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 03/31/2014   1:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I saw that "exhaustive listing" on revenuer.org but it was something like 35MB of data to download, so it's more for the advanced collector rather than the novice.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7626 Posts
Posted 03/31/2014   9:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Everything that Michael Mahler writes is geared to the advanced collector, but if one has the time then there is a lot to be learned, he is an excellent student of philately.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
747 Posts
Posted 03/31/2014   10:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southpaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've always been drawn to the CA and NV revenues - and they aren't all that expensive. Some maybe elusive, but you can certainly find them from time to time. I paid $4 each for the 3 NV values, and I really like the the 5c with it's stamped blue cancel. The vast majority of these revenues have pen cancels. Michael Mahler pegs the roulette 10 5c green at $2.50, the roulette 18 2c orange at ??, and the roulette 10 50c at $2.50. The CA revenues seem to be a bit more difficult to find, especially the circular die cuts.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
747 Posts
Posted 03/31/2014   10:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southpaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess some of my interest stems from the 10 years we lived in northern CA. I would visit as many ghost towns as I could to photograph. Below are a few of my photos of Rhyolite, NV which was active from 1904 to about 1910. It was located just east of Death Valley CA. Rhyolite was a little too late for these revenues, but there were many gold country camping/explorations we did in places that were steeped in Deadwood-like history.

Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1500 Posts
Posted 08/07/2017   12:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I recently acquired this Nevada revenue. According to the 1915 Stamp News article all of the first issue were unrouletted. I would assume then that some, or all, have what appear to be "sewing machine" perforations. Would this be a reasonable assumption? Are there catalog numbers for these Nevada revenues and/or values for them?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
750 Posts
Posted 08/07/2017   05:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The most recent and best catalog source for all state revenues, including California and Nevada is the State Revenue Society's State Revenue Catalog, which was edited by the late Dave Wrisley. Several checks were also imprinted with both Nevada and federal stamps (also listed in the Scott U.S. Specialized). In addition to Nevada and California you might also find that your own state has issued and used some very interesting revenue stamps.
Ron Lesher
Pillar Of The Community
1151 Posts
Posted 08/07/2017   11:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampmaster to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi

I live in a very small town (3 traffic lights) in Nye Nevada. I find this stamp scan posted by quigngt (hope I got the spelling correct?) very interesting and very attractive.

I find the early Nevada Revenue Stamps very interesting, I have a few of them, there is also a book "Nevada Checks 1860-1933", just in case you have any interest in these. Part 3 of the book is "Nevada Territorial and State Warrants", these instruments sometimes can be obtained for very cheap costs. Just in case you might be interested.

You might if interested visit your library, some have a program called in Inter Library System, you can ask for either book and if some library has either one or both, your library can loan it, and then that way you do not have to pay for them. There is a cost to you, waiting time.

Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1500 Posts
Posted 08/07/2017   12:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks revenuermd and stampmaster. I checked the Mahler catalog. What I have is definitely not perf 10. Here are a couple of perf details using guage 15 and 16. Neither appear to be correct. I do not have a guage 18 handy at this time. In Mahler's catalog concerning perf 18 he says on p34:
Quote:
can anyone produce one from 1871 (or earlier)?

Mine is dated Oct 1870. If it is a compound roulette or roulette 18, he might be interested in seeing it. How can he be contacted in order to send him a scan?

Edited by quigngt - 08/07/2017 12:55 pm
Pillar Of The Community
1151 Posts
Posted 08/07/2017   1:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampmaster to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi quigngt, are you are using a perf to measure roulette? This is the incorrect way to measure a roulette, instead just count the number of roulette indications in 20 MM.

If also may I suggest do not use these plastic gauge, always use a metal etched gauge if you are concerned about accurately. All plastic gauges while functional have are printed not etched. Also plastic gauge are flexible, you need rigid, with etched indications of measure.

Still a nice stamp you have.
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1500 Posts
Posted 08/07/2017   5:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
stampmaster, thanks for your comment on gauges. I realize that cheap plastic and cheap metal gauges are not trustworthy. I have a metal gauge and Scott Multi-gauge which is a more stable plastic than most others. I don't know where my metal one is but I can say that in the past every time I used both metal and Scott's plastic one they gave identical readings. For my normal use I prefer Scotts because for my eyesight the extra view through the clear plastic reduces eye strain. Here are two scans using the mm gauge.

Using 20mm as the length for roulette as you say shows each perf to average slightly more than 1mm. It certainly appears to me to be roulette 18. Even a variation of 17 or 19 would verify the stamp as 18 since Mahler does not mention 19 as a variant and he classified a count of 17 to actually be a variation of 18.

Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 4,668Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05