Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Turtle Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 256 / Views: 49,996Next Topic
Page: of 18
Pillar Of The Community
Philippines
1132 Posts
Posted 02/13/2009   9:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is an island in the south of the Philippines called "Turtle Island" and it is a place where green turtles lay their eggs. Before, people used to gather the eggs and eat them. At least, the people are more environmentally conscious now and the government even had armed rangers stationed in that island to guard the eggs.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Rest in Peace
Learn More...
United States
1806 Posts
Posted 02/14/2009   09:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1775mac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Kid, those are great mini sheets. I know I have seen them before but glad to get a glance again.

Bob of the many g's the Maldive ones were cute with the baby turtles.

Surprising how many turtles were in different collections.
Edited by 1775mac - 02/14/2009 09:34 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1927 Posts
Posted 02/14/2009   6:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Triggersmob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a few from Christmas Island and Cocos(keeling) Islands.

Steve
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
3844 Posts
Posted 02/14/2009   7:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dianne Earl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great stamps Steve

Dianne
Don't grumble that the roses have thorns, be thankful that the thorns have roses
Pillar Of The Community
Philippines
1132 Posts
Posted 02/25/2009   2:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
Philippines
1132 Posts
Posted 03/09/2009   2:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
44 Posts
Posted 03/10/2009   11:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chicken to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I love these threads! They remind me of stamps I haven't looked at in awhile, and make me look at my collection more carefully.

Here are a couple turtle stamps from Poland and Mozambique:
Image: 1260.jpg
24.59 KB

And if tortoises are allowed, then this thread would not be complete without a Galapagos tortoise on an Ecuadorian stamp:
Image: 1256.jpg
21.13 KB
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
3844 Posts
Posted 03/10/2009   11:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dianne Earl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great stamps guys

I wish I had my collection a little more organized so I could find stuff easier.
Don't grumble that the roses have thorns, be thankful that the thorns have roses
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 08/13/2009   1:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I mainly collect personalized (at this time) so most of mine are, well, personalized:

Kind of personalized labels I think those are, but nice, I like the other animals too!

Turtles, turtles, ya, ya, ya
Pillar Of The Community
USA
3315 Posts
Posted 08/13/2009   3:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add laswabbie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't often post items from the other Germany (DDR) but here's one:

Pillar Of The Community
USA
3315 Posts
Posted 08/13/2009   3:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add laswabbie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Johnstamp - There's a guy/gal in the Philippines I need you to track down. Just give him/her a dope slap for me and the rest of the world.

Just kidding - kinda!
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
6190 Posts
Posted 08/13/2009   4:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I mainly collect personalized (at this time) so most of mine are, well, personalized:

Puzzler,
I am a bit puzzled [excuse the pun] about personalized stamps.
Tomorrow, a lawyer is going to call me and offer me ridiculous amounts of money for my Avatar [well, the stamp therein].
Should I accept ?

What's the great attraction?
Oops! This has nothing to do with Turtles.....sorry.

Londonbus1...crawling back into his shell
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9747 Posts
Posted 08/13/2009   5:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You guys got something against us frogs ???

APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2757 Posts
Posted 08/13/2009   5:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add warrehouse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, at least a frog could lick a stamp!
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 08/13/2009   7:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Frogs are nice too. Sometimes.I think.

Londonbus1,

Well, I am not sure. I am puzzled also. (most of the time). I did not know Israel made personalized stamps so did not recognize it as one until you mentioned it. That's neat!

I find, with myself anyway, that the topic is a great draw to me, that is, what is depicted on the stamp.

If it appeals to me and the moon is in the correct phase and Jupiter is aligned with Mars and the neighbourhood cats are yowling at the proper time of the night on that day then I will pay a lot for a stamp. Usually a cat stamp, or kitten.

Maybe the stamp 'means something' to the lawyer and he feels he 'needs it'?? is he Jewish? Is this stamp Judaic(?) themed? I am not sure what the stamp exactly has on it, too small in the details for me.

Beyond all that puzzling above, it is the idea that you are seeing something that means something to some other human being and is important. It is 'art' to them.

Plus, the obsessive collecting bug of course. These personalized stamps seem rare as not many are offered (usually) on eBay or elsewhere. It is the hunt and all that.

Hope I didn't philosophize too much.

Doug
Page: of 18 Previous TopicReplies: 256 / Views: 49,996Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05