Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Exaggerated Postcards

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3682 Posts
Posted 11/09/2014   12:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ikeyPikey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Exaggerated Postcards might be a uniquely American art form; any ROTW cards out there?

Let's begin with a card that first struck me as an exaggerated postcard but, upon closer examination, seems to be taking itself perfectly seriously.

OTOH, the publisher is in Des Moines, which is between, and on the road from, Riceville IA (birthplace of the exaggerated postcard) and Ottawa IA (to which this bizarre activity was relocated), as per:

http://globegazette.com/mcpress/new...29cafae.html

I personally saw a jack rabbit ~1/2 this size in Rowlett, Texas, in the late 1980s, so maybe this card is legit?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2238 Posts
Posted 11/15/2014   6:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How about some watermelon to go with those rabbit steaks? I'm sure that I have enough here for everyone.. The melon comes to us from Northwestern, Cal, a town along the California Northwestern Pacific Rail Road, now known as Brooktrails.It was mailed Sep 4 1912.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3682 Posts
Posted 12/05/2014   9:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I'll see your watermelon, littleriverphil, and raise you a cucumber.

Wayland NY (subject) and Pavillion NY (postmark) are less than 40 google-miles apart, which makes this local humor?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3682 Posts
Posted 05/08/2015   10:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Exaggerated? Or not all that far from the truth?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoduck

"There's plenty more where that googled from."

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3682 Posts
Posted 04/04/2016   9:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Alaskan Giant Cabbage is not a myth ...

http://www.adn.com/article/20090904...world-record ... 127 pound cabbage breaks world record

http://www.alaskagardening.net/grow...nalaska.html ... how to grow them

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...midnight-sun ... NPR explains Why Vegetables Get Freakish In The Land Of The Midnight Sun

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3682 Posts
Posted 04/14/2016   10:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

As big as those Alaskan cabbages grow, I'm gonna step out on a limb and suggest that they've fiddled the scale.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2688 Posts
Posted 04/17/2016   11:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another California entry. I think the young lad is scaled a little too large.

Cancel is machine SACRAMENTO CAL JUN 12 M '08.

Edited by bookbndrbob - 04/17/2016 1:29 pm
Pillar Of The Community
1515 Posts
Posted 04/25/2016   09:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jenny2U to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2688 Posts
Posted 04/26/2016   8:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That elf is really small! And when you are that small, you'd better be lucky.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 04/26/2016 8:52 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
627 Posts
Posted 04/27/2016   6:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jim6092252 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a small collection of postcards, there are some neat ones
Pillar Of The Community
United States
627 Posts
Posted 04/27/2016   6:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jim6092252 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
unfortunatly for my family I will buy stuff just because I like it. mostly I try to put a 5.00 limit on no value stuff but dont let me see something I really really want lol
Pillar Of The Community
United States
845 Posts
Posted 04/30/2016   02:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, these are fun! I've got a few I can add, once I fire up my scanner. Here's a few oranges to start.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1272 Posts
Posted 04/30/2016   12:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"A carload of navel oranges from ..." --I wonder who was supposed to fill in the blank, the sender, a local printer, or a vendor?

That card is also notable from the standpoint of legal history as it contains a 1909 copyright notice at the bottom. The Copyright Act of 1909 was the first to require written copyright notice on a work as a condition of protection, so this would be one of the earliest instances of such notice.

The printer, Mitchell, also had a rough go of it; a native San Franciscan, his printing shop was destroyed in the 1906 earthquake at the peak of his business. This card would have represented the business in recovery.

http://www.thepostcard.com/walt/pub.../mitbio2.htm
Edited by cjpalermo1964 - 04/30/2016 12:03 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
845 Posts
Posted 04/30/2016   7:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, here we go! Hope you like fruits and veggies! Many of these are Mitchell cards and it appears that the sender was supposed fill in the blank as to where the card originated.

Edited by GregAlex - 04/30/2016 7:48 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2688 Posts
Posted 04/30/2016   9:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like the berries, but they don't look too secure on those cars. Also, I don't think I'd be standing that close to the watermelon.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 04/30/2016 9:30 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
845 Posts
Posted 05/16/2016   8:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And how about a couple more ...

Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05