Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show us your U.S. revenue SOTN/bullseye cancels!  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 21
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4017 Posts
Posted 02/01/2015   7:11 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The front-of-the-book folks have an ongoing thread for socked-on-the-nose postal cancels, but as we revenue collectors are a breed apart , I thought we should have our own ongoing thread.

Post 'em if you got 'em!

I'll get the ball rolling with 3 new acquisitions.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
805 Posts
Posted 02/01/2015   11:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rustyc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a few of mine:

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 02/01/2015   11:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zenzy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

RK16

RK26

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4017 Posts
Posted 02/02/2015   07:31 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

That's an interesting one I've not seen before. I wonder if the P. is a relative of S. in the late date S.R.V.D. cancels (S.R. van Duzer, patent medicine, New York) or if it is a completely different company.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
805 Posts
Posted 02/02/2015   08:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rustyc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wonder if the P. is a relative of S. in the late date S.R.V.D. cancels (S.R. van Duzer, patent medicine, New York) or if it is a completely different company.

Believe it or not, that's an S, not a P. I bought the stamp from Richard Friedberg, and, as I recall, it is ex-Morissey. I posted it earlier in another thread, and I believe revcollector commented that it was a scarcer van Duzer cancel. I also have this:

Edited by rustyc - 02/02/2015 08:24 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5032 Posts
Posted 02/02/2015   08:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Van Duzer was a major drug wholesaler in NYC at the time. The black printed cancels are fairly common as printed cancels go. According to Holcombe there are 7 varieties with dates from 1865-1882 on the 1,2,3, and 4 cent stamps. The red cancel is much scarcer, and is not mentioned in Holcombe. Being a handstamp, perhaps it was only used until the printed cancels were available.
The private die stamp above was for the $1 product and was first issued in the spring of 1869.
The company was housed in a large four story building in lower Manhattan and was very sucessful for many years
Learn More...
5590 Posts
Posted 02/02/2015   12:56 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a few of mine...
Don

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4017 Posts
Posted 02/02/2015   1:02 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Has anyone attributed that H.B. oval cancel with the solid block in center? I've seen them periodically, but always without context...
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
805 Posts
Posted 02/02/2015   2:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rustyc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don, I'm curious about the "J. Mc C" cancels on the 5-cent Certificates. I have one and, despite repeated efforts, have never been able to identify it.
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
Posted 02/02/2015   2:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wbrob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rusty - Identifying Socked Cancels:
I believe your "SDH" cancel is attributable to
Samuel D. Hastings (see Wikipedia).
At one point he was State Treasurer of Wisconsin; I have seen many of his handstamps on various revenues, some connected with documents I found (and now are long gone).
I believe his offspring and he himself had business here in Green Bay in the early 20th century.
Bill
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5032 Posts
Posted 02/02/2015   2:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen both around over the years but I have not seen them on anything, which is the only way to ID them for sure. At this point it would take some luck to discover who they were, since we don't even know where they were located. All we can really assume is that they were either of some size or were small but reasonably successful, since they paid to have a handstamp cancel created.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
706 Posts
Posted 02/02/2015   3:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southpaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I too have several J. Mc C cancels and saw some in Atlanta. I'm curious to know who they are too. Will do some digging... nice stamps Don!
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 02/02/2015   4:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Although these are nowhere near as elaborate as some of those posted previously, I particularly like these because of the SOTN cancels:

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5350 Posts
Posted 02/02/2015   7:16 pm  Show Profile Check stallzer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
805 Posts
Posted 02/02/2015   8:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rustyc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice stamps everyone. Bill, greetings from Minnesota. I haven't found any cancels from our state officers! Here are a few more that I have scanned:

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4017 Posts
Posted 02/02/2015   8:48 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Love the contrasting color on that one. The gray 30-centers make great canvases for contrasting cancels.

Some of mine:

Brown ink, VERY scarce. Even more scarce than green ink handstamps.

Page: of 21 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05