Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Blimps And Zeppelins

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
898 Posts
Posted 05/27/2016   2:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I only have two cards on this topic, but I'd love to see others. The Zeppelin card is one of my favorites. I believe this is the LZ 4, probably over Lake Constance, circa 1908.

The Navy blimps are from a historic photo on a contemporary card. This blimp hangar still exists on the Oregon Coast and it is MASSIVE (I've been inside). It no longer holds blimps, but now houses antique aircraft as a museum.

Send note to Staff
Edited by GregAlex - 05/27/2016 2:14 pm

Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
Posted 09/20/2016   10:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add msdot281 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found this card of a zeppelin in a recent lot I bought. Since the back side is in several languages I don't know, I can't tell you much about it, but I thought you might like to see it. It's the only one I have on this topic.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
898 Posts
Posted 09/21/2016   02:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice card! German, perhaps?
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
Posted 09/21/2016   1:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add msdot281 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also thought it might be German; but it appears to me to have several languages on the back, including a cyrillic script. Perhaps a former Soviet block country?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3055 Posts
Posted 09/21/2016   4:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's one from WWI. I'm thinking the zeppelin and aircraft in the background were added to spice this one up.

Edited by bookbndrbob - 09/21/2016 4:04 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3055 Posts
Posted 09/21/2016   4:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An "oldie."

Edited by bookbndrbob - 09/21/2016 4:18 pm
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
Posted 09/22/2016   10:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add msdot281 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You really have some nice cards of the zeppelins. I did some research on the card I posted. You can't see it in the photo that posted, but on the original you can make out the words "Viktoria Luise". I discovered additional pictures of it with this caption: GERMAN CIVILIAN ZEPPELIN "VIKTORIA LUISE." AFTER WAR [WWI] BROKE OUT IT BECAME THE MILITARY "LZ-11." Its first flight was Feb 19, 1912 and "After use by DELAG, taken over as a training airship by the German military upon the outbreak of World War I; broke apart while being put into its hangar on 1 October 1915." I posted another picture of it below.

I really have to thank you for starting this topic. Otherwise I may never have been inspired to actually look up the zeppelin on the card and would never have discovered what it was. So Thanks - I'm a little smarter!

Dot

Pillar Of The Community
United States
898 Posts
Posted 09/24/2016   01:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My pleasure! I'm also enjoying the cards being posted here. bookbndrbob, I think I agree that the aircraft were photographically added to that WWI military postcard. A Zeppelin in a combat zone would have been a sitting duck for enemy artillery.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
716 Posts
Posted 05/11/2017   01:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

My uncle bought this for me when we were at WESTPEX together in 1996. It was the cornerstone of my Esperanto topical collection, which now occupies three Vario G binders.
Valued Member
United States
254 Posts
Posted 05/11/2017   09:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Daveinva47 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice cards to all!
Msdot, I've seen cards like yours (multiple languages on it) in Europe...I call them "tourist post cards" although there's probably a real term for it. Don't know country of origin for yours, but European sure, with French, Spanish, Italian, German, Greek, Russian(?) and English among others on back that all say the same thing: post card.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
716 Posts
Posted 05/11/2017   1:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Given the fact that "Korrespondenz" and "Adresse" are only in German, the postcard is certainly from a German-speaking country. "Postcard" and "Universal Postal Union" are in German and French (the universal language of the UPU) at the top. The line immediately below that has "Postcard" in Hungarian, Austrian German, and Czech. Since "Postkarte" (the general German term) is large and at the top, but "Correspondenzkarte" (the specifically Austrian term) is smaller and further down on the list, I believe that this card originated in Germany rather than Austria. Another tell-tale is the fact that "Korrespondenz" appears with a K, whereas "Correspondenzkarte" is spelt with a C.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
898 Posts
Posted 07/24/2019   09:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This card has been posted elsewhere, but it should appropriately be added here, as well. And I figure it's been a while since this thread has been bumped so maybe others have something new to contribute.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
510 Posts
Posted 07/24/2019   09:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great cards everyone!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
107 Posts
Posted 07/24/2019   09:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bud to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The several languages on the back of the card all say "Post Card" or in Russian "Open Letter," a Russian term for post card. The card is of German origin in my opinion (note the "Korrespondenz" above the space for a message"), probably sold in any number of countries. Probably not of Russian or Eastern European origin, although many of those languages are present, along with French and Spanish
Pillar Of The Community
Singapore
715 Posts
Posted 07/24/2019   9:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like the ones where the zepp was flying over the pyramids of Giza.
Valued Member
United States
121 Posts
Posted 10/06/2019   12:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zepman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One with a WW1 theme.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05