Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sweden and Denmark will no longer print engraved stamps  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4109 Posts
Posted 01/22/2017   4:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
Just read on Glenn Morgan's stampprinters site http://www.stampprinters.info/DS44.pdf
that the government printers of both Denmark & Sweden
will no longer print engraved stamps or any stamps for that
matter, starting 2017.

French printer Cartor will now print all the stamps
for Sweden and Denmark presumably using the photo/litho
process.

Where will all those excellent engravers find work?

China maybe?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1084 Posts
Posted 01/22/2017   4:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a sad, but inevitable end to a long run of nicely engraved and printed stamps.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Norway
1142 Posts
Posted 01/24/2017   09:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Blaamand to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sad
Valued Member
Canada
20 Posts
Posted 01/24/2017   10:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add madbaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I got back into collecting in 1995, I focused on Sweden specifically because they still issued nice, engraved stamps. It's what drew me back into the hobby.

I received a booklet from Sweden Post in the late '90s that was all about the skill of their engravers and their exemplary stamp production. It still seems recent to me but I guess it was 20 years ago now.

I thought Swedish stamps went downhill a bit after 2000/2005 or so anyway, but I guess 2016 is my firm cut off now.

That's very sad.

Mark
Valued Member
158 Posts
Posted 08/30/2017   11:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've always thought of the best stamps as "little engravings" because that's what they were, and Sweden was one of the best examples of that.

I've subscribed to, and collected, Swedish stamps for 40 years now. I'll have to re-evaluate if their quality falls off. They were one of the last producers of old-fashioned high quality stamps unlike the many bread labels and other stickers sold by so many countries.

I don't know much about printing, itself, but know that a good engraved stamp looks better than any other kind of stamp. Very sad. A cost-cutting measure, I'm sure. I'd prefer they just raise stamp prices to pay for engraving.

Some things, like coins, currency, and stamps, should always be made with the highest quality possible. Czeslaw Slania, the brilliant engraver of so many Swedish (and many other countries') stamps must be turning over in his grave. Not so long ago Sweden was celebrating its high quality engraved stamps very proudly. Now they turn around and basically cheap out.
Edited by DrewM - 08/31/2017 12:00 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
235 Posts
Posted 08/31/2017   03:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 65170 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In 2015, a PowerPoint presentation about philately by PostNord stated in bullet points: "Reduce cost: from intaglio to offset" and, perhaps a little more encouragingly, "2016: More offset - less intaglio". So, maybe there will still be the odd intaglio issue, although I have seen none in 2017 thus far. Will there be enough intaglio to maintain collector interest in current Swedish and Danish stamps? I personally doubt it. The vast majority of its philatelic income comes from its subscriber base - lose those folk and you lose the desire to produce beautiful stamps, with barcoded labels being sufficient. GLENN stampprinters.info
Pillar Of The Community
United States
768 Posts
Posted 08/31/2017   12:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very sad. I am going to keenly miss my (occasional) Wavy Lines new issues from Denmark but at least I will know what a complete collection looks like.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  British Bechuanaland 1887 1/2p - Hand drawn overprint or fake?
  Script versus Block Cancellation
  Bavaria ~1900 Green 5pf 14x14.5 WM Vertical Wavy Lines - Cat# and Value?
  Scott 595 or 634 Washington 2 cents
  Colombia Correos Stamp Identifying
  Do catalogue values represent scarcity/availability?
  What chance is there on eBay?
  1 cent franklin with mactan island? cancel
  Victoria Jubilee Cancellation
  Quebec Registration where?
  Help identify the type and the stamp please.
  2Cent red Washington stamp ( is it a A139 ?)
  Need help identifying Chinese Stamps
  Is this 2 cent Washington a 444?
  Need help identifying 2 cent Washington "shield design" stamp
  Machins with Security Features -- To Soak or Not Soak
  Ebay Red Line error Nonsense
  Who knows about the "Carter Album" of Match & Medicine stamps?
  How to identify US 487 and 488?
  Paste-up Pairs question
  Opinions Solicited for R33a
  American Philatelic Society Names New Editor
  Thoughts on these four possible Jefferson UX27s?
  Other of my grills, what can you tell me about this?
  Scott Pan Pacific #398 ~ *Amazing~JUMBO* ~ MNH

British Bechuanaland 1887 1/2p - Hand drawn overprint or fake?
  Definitives from around the World
  Help identify the type and the stamp please.
  Baseball Topical Stamps
  Bavaria ~1900 Green 5pf 14x14.5 WM Vertical Wavy Lines - Cat# and Value?
  London Bus and family..
  Machins with Security Features -- To Soak or Not Soak
  So they tell me the stamp market is crashing?
  Crabs
  Perf 12 coils 1908-10 - need some education
  Scott 595 or 634 Washington 2 cents
  Anthony's FAKE FRAUD COUNTERFEIT 315's and 321's...
  Help ID these Iraqi Stamps
  Does anyone collect North Korean Stamps?
  Colombia Correos Stamp Identifying
  Stamp with part of sheet margin
  Script versus Block Cancellation
  What chance is there on eBay?
  Doves as Symbols of Peace
  Thoughts on these four possible Jefferson UX27s?
  Need help identifying 2 cent Washington "shield design" stamp
  Do catalogue values represent scarcity/availability?
  1 cent franklin with mactan island? cancel
  Let's see your cinderellas!
  eBay Saved Searches eMail Updates

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.43 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05