Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Any Speculation On 2018 Issues?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 101 / Views: 17,692Next Topic
Page: of 7
Pillar Of The Community
United States
676 Posts
Posted 03/21/2018   8:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DJCMHOH to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Linn's has an image of the new Centenary of Airmail issue

Looks more like the label for a 20-somethings line of apparel than anything else. Is that really the best the USPS could do for a major historical milestone of their own organization.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
APS #173088
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8013 Posts
Posted 03/21/2018   8:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! I am so happy that I do not collect these any longer. Computer generated?

Peter
Edited by Petert4522 - 03/21/2018 10:09 pm
Pillar Of The Community
1435 Posts
Posted 03/22/2018   04:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not as underwhelmed as some of you about the new "airmail" stamp. At least it doesn't look like a photograph, and is reminiscent of the engraved stamps of yore. The design elements do make it look a bit like a playing card, and that detracts from its visual appeal to me a bit. I do think they could have done better, but I'm pretty turned off by the artistic style of most U.S. stamps of the past two decades. I just don't think the "art direction" that the USPS gets these days is very good. But then I saw an article recently about a collector who paid a huge sum for a piece of modern art that was essentially a blank white canvas. Higher education and learning doesn't impress me much these days.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3428 Posts
Posted 03/22/2018   06:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They could have done a lot better and does not convey the 100th Anniversary of Airmail very well. I wonder what the alternate designs looked like.

However, I think the USPS mentality is to print "colorful" stamps that attract stamp users NOT stamp collectors. A buyer may say "I like to nice blues ones that look like playing cards." If popular, maybe USPS will issue a sheet of Bicycle brand playing card stamps.
Al
Edited by angore - 03/22/2018 07:05 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3428 Posts
Posted 03/22/2018   06:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamp Announcement 18-12: Peace Rose Stamp

On April 21, 2018, in Shreveport, LA, the U.S. Postal Service® will issue the Peace Rose stamp (Forever® priced at the First-Class Mail® rate) in one design, in a pressure-sensitive adhesive double-sided booklet of 20 stamps (Item 681800). The stamp will go on sale nationwide April 21, 2018.

The new Peace Rose stamp celebrates one of the most popular roses of all time. The stamp art features a detail from a photograph of the Peace Rose blossom and its creamy yellow petals, with a touch of pink on the edges. The rose revolutionized hybrid tea roses with its unique coloring, hardiness, and disease resistance. Art director Ethel Kessler designed the stamp with an existing photograph taken by Richard C. Baer.
Al
Edited by angore - 03/22/2018 06:53 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3428 Posts
Posted 03/22/2018   06:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamp Announcement 18-11: STEM Education Stamps

On April 6, 2018, in Washington, DC, the U.S. Postal Service® will issue the STEM Education stamps (Forever® priced at 50 cents) in four designs, in a pressure-sensitive adhesive (PSA) pane of 20 stamps (Item 477600). The stamps will go on sale nationwide April 6, 2018. The STEM Education pane of 20 stamps may not be split or sold individually.

These stamps celebrate the role of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) education in keeping our nation a global leader in innovation and providing new opportunities for all Americans to learn and explore the world. Designed to pique the curiosity of the viewer, each of these four stamps features a collage of faces, symbols, drawings, and numbers that represent the complexity and interconnectedness of the STEM disciplines. Artist David Plunkert worked with art director Antonio Alcalá to create these stamps.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8013 Posts
Posted 03/22/2018   07:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, that is a bit nicer and more original. Why four of them are necessary is something else, but the individual stamps are very attractive. A lot more attractive than the rose,

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1624 Posts
Posted 03/22/2018   09:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sdtom to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can tell you I won't do a first day cover of the airmail issue, the rose (ugly), or the stem cell. Ugh
Learn More...
United States
10620 Posts
Posted 03/22/2018   09:54 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6545 Posts
Posted 03/22/2018   12:04 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
Posted 03/22/2018   12:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Arrows2Atoms to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For a guy whose licence plate reads "AIRMAIL" I find the issue pretty cool. While I don't collect new issues, I will buy a bunch of these to use on my mail going forward.
Learn More...
United States
10620 Posts
Posted 03/22/2018   12:32 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... and is the demand overblown?

As a guy who struggled to compete in hiring engineers for the last 25 years...no, the demand is not overblown. The top talent I chased were people straight out the best engineering universities; they were commanding six figure salaries and a signing bonus equal to a new car for their first job!
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3428 Posts
Posted 03/22/2018   1:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I work for a technology company, it is hard to find good engineers. It is not only skills but desire to work. You can find a more willing to learn and work pool overseas.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8013 Posts
Posted 03/27/2018   8:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not know how far the USPS is behind these days, but I believe the STEM program has been superceded by a newer program, "STEAM". I volunteer in a school and our STEM posters have been taken down since last summer and replaced by "STEAM" posters. Basically the same program, but Art has been added.

Peter
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
Posted 03/27/2018   9:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Seigaku to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Back to the 1968 idea, I would wager that a "Flower Power" commemorative would be popular--now as back then, with young people and not with the establishment. But I suppose that allows for two different scratch and sniff versions to be issued Of course we have to wait till next year for the obligatory Woodstock commemorative.
Page: of 7 Previous TopicReplies: 101 / Views: 17,692Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05