Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Most Terrible Forgery I Have Seen Today.

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4221 Posts
Posted 04/16/2019   4:39 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unused, no gum, but with cancellation! Unless that's the "Ceres barbe" variety.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
609 Posts
Posted 04/16/2019   8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thought I'd add this one...

And this makes it Official...

Pillar Of The Community
United States
609 Posts
Posted 04/20/2019   11:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unissued with a Cancel?

Valued Member
United States
271 Posts
Posted 04/20/2019   6:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe "faked" cancels don't count?
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2127 Posts
Posted 04/20/2019   6:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I Don't know why on the PF certificate they marked the country as Italy when it is Sardinia. Genuine frame is printers waste.The embossed head is forged though.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
609 Posts
Posted 04/20/2019   7:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
mm1942

I'm wondering why someone would put a cancel on a stamp that was never issued. Wouldn't that hurt the forgers chances of passing it off as genuine?

perf12

I don't know either. I submitted it that way. Maybe the PF uses whatever was submitted on the certificate they issue. I've seen some certificates where they put the proper ID in the body of the certificate.
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2127 Posts
Posted 06/13/2019   6:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These French Airmail stamps were issued in 1936.The 85c (Yt.no.8) & the 50F (Yt.no.14).
The 85c used sells for a couple of dollars.The 50F used a couple of hundred dollars.
The trick here is changing the value tablet.In the manipulated tablet shown; the numbers and
letters have the wrong form.The forgery is poor quality and there are better ones out there.
There is also a small difference between the 85c & 50F besides the value tablet; a small line is under the right window of the plane in the genuine 50F.

85c stamp with forged 50F value tablet below:

Genuine 50F below:

Genuine 85c below:

This stamp is listed in eBay and is interesting nevertheless but I would not pay the asking price of $90.00 !!!!!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6317 Posts
Posted 06/13/2019   7:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An another..

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2127 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   5:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Old Ceres forgery of the 1 Franc 1849 Scott no.6. E bay seller is listing it as a genuine no.6.
For $372 ....I mean really;for a grotesque forgery like this.
Pillar Of The Community
596 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   6:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There ought to be a permanent database for all these forgeries on this website or elsewhere. Arrange it by country and you have a very useful tool collectors could check before buying or just to learn more. I'm tempted to copy-and-paste them al, but I won't. When stamps are seen in comparison, genuine to forged, the differences can be striking. When a forged stamp is seen alone, however, I have a great deal more difficulty with some of them -- though not with the more ridiculous forgeries, some of which are laughable! I hope I haven't accidentally bought any of these. I have bought some marked forgeries ("faux," "copy," that sort of thing) as reference stamps.
Edited by DrewM - 07/17/2019 6:46 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4221 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   8:04 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
perf - that is the most unlikely "carmine" I've ever seen!

Drew - have you seen Classical Stamps's site?

http://stampforgeries.com/
Pillar Of The Community
United States
511 Posts
Posted 07/17/2019   8:47 pm  Show Profile Check 91stang's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 91stang to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
yawn
Valued Member
United States
65 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   09:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There ought to be a permanent database for all these forgeries on this website or elsewhere.

It should be a database of the SELLERS. Then you would know who to avoid buying from.
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2127 Posts
Posted 08/07/2019   5:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A difficult stamp to forge.E bay seller asking $450.00 for this 1851 SG3 as genuine.He does not say it's genuine though…
Wrong corner squares.Narrow "6".Stubby thick lettering...ect

Genuine pic below from "Siegal Auction Galleries" sale.

Learn More...
6946 Posts
Posted 08/07/2019   5:54 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...It should be a database of the SELLERS. Then you would know who to avoid buying from...

Stamp Smarter started a database of online listings in 2015; I set it up to allow anyone to enter a listing review AND also tried to contact each seller to see if they were interested in improving their listing and/or provide additional clarity and justification. It grew to about 2000 reviews but is not as active as it once was.

The database format is superior to other formats since it support quick lookup, filtering, and other reports (i.e which stamps have the most listing issues). Anyone who has ever applied for a Stamp Smarter membership can add new listing reviews (over 1000+ people).

http://stampsmarter.com/BuyingOnlin..._Buying.html

Don

Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05