Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help With Identifying This US #140 ?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 2,785Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
222 Posts
Posted 03/04/2018   8:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Phil_Atelic to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hoping for a confirmation on the identity of this stamp, I believe to be a 140.looks like an H grill but item not in hand so hard to tell from photo. Thanks

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
173 Posts
Posted 03/04/2018   10:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tipzi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see a grill. The pale area in the upper left looks like a cancel has been cleaned off. If gummed then must be a regum job.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
222 Posts
Posted 03/04/2018   10:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phil_Atelic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2573 Posts
Posted 03/05/2018   08:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe I see something that could be a grill, but scan too small. Grills don't scan well, they need oblique light to illuminate them. To see grills, shine bright light across the stamp, so the grill points throw shadows, and take a close-up photo.
Edited by littleriverphil - 03/05/2018 08:30 am
Valued Member
United States
222 Posts
Posted 03/05/2018   2:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phil_Atelic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Phil, appreciate your thoughts. I will upload clearer scans when received. Plus a trip to the foundation.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2573 Posts
Posted 03/05/2018   3:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Copied your dealer image and resized the back 400% with IrFanView 32 bit editor

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1738 Posts
Posted 03/05/2018   4:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add essayk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
By all means send us a scan when it arrives. The resized image shows what appears to be a partial grill, but it will not permit a clear identification as an H grill.

Was it sold/purchased as a #140?
Valued Member
United States
222 Posts
Posted 03/05/2018   7:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phil_Atelic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Essayk, I will be sure to do so, and yes it was represented to be a 140. I do see the partial grill and counted the rows but it seems like it could be an I-grill, wont know for sure until in person and high quality scan.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5327 Posts
Posted 03/07/2018   07:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1400 Posts
Posted 03/07/2018   08:56 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Do you think you will be able to get a refund if the cert isn't good?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5327 Posts
Posted 03/07/2018   09:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The stamp will not get a good cert. it is a cartel stamp. It was previously "sold"by the cartel on 16 January for North of $2000. The OP purchased multiple stamps from the cartel. (see other individual threads) None of those stamps are genuine. Guaranteed. The OP participated in a SCF thread last year specific to this cartel ID and still bought from him. I cannot fathom this. People have to learn that stamps like this do not start at 99 cents, that eBay feedback is worthless, that the cartel ships from US locations with UK related names such as London KY, Cardiff By The Sea etc. for the most part. This OP just dumped over $5000 on cartel lots and this has been going on for years and eBay does nothing even though they are constantly alerted that something is wrong. It is stunning that this continues on. Stunning.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
591 Posts
Posted 03/07/2018   09:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rodgcam: for those of us not completely familiar with the cartel iss or for that matter what OP you are referring to can you please point out a relevant thread that starts from the beginning. The reason we know that the stamp referenced above is not good is what—besides the assertion that is cartelified? What I am trying to figure out is what all of thes American stamps are doing in London?
Valued Member
United States
222 Posts
Posted 03/07/2018   09:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phil_Atelic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Krelyea, only time will tell.
Valued Member
United States
222 Posts
Posted 03/07/2018   09:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phil_Atelic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone here an eBay concierge member?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5327 Posts
Posted 03/07/2018   10:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Funcitypapa - Search on this forum for Philip Ryle or Cartel and you will have copious amounts of information to read about what the cartel is. Briefly, the cartel lists doctored stamps on eBay using multiple seller IDs and countless buyer accounts that are shills. It is very organized and is a large operation in dollar volume. Look it up. The cartel is mostly Philip Ryle. Multiple convictions and jail time. Search and read. It needs to be kept in the spotlight because it does tremendous damage to our hobby. The money spent on these lots is gone. Hopefully we can prevent one more person from becoming a victim.
Valued Member
United States
222 Posts
Posted 03/07/2018   10:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phil_Atelic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow I've become the bad guy here.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 2,785Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05